Has anyone tried a rifled choke?

Currently, I am shooting full power 1410fps Rio slugs and getting 5" groups at 50 yards.  Yes, I could buy 10 different brands and find what shoots best but that would be difficult and expensive (Testing and zeroing).

Hoping the rifled choke will squeeze my group down to maybe 3" at 50 yards.  The 75yd slug spinners at the MGM Ironman kick my butt every year.     

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317252/carlsons-extended-rifled-choke-tube-browning-invector-winchester-win-choke-mossberg-accu-choke-weatherby-multi-choke-12-gauge-black

Rifled chokes are probably good for deer hunters but not so practical for 3 gun.  Unless you come across an all slug stage, you need to vary the choke to the stage.  

However, some folks shoot LM for everything.  Testing found it to be the best choke for slugs in my gun.

In my MKA1919 I found that with Carlson LM chokes, Remington Managed Recoil Slugs get me the best accuracy out to about 80 yards.  Past that and its a crap shoot.

• Like 1

While this is all true in Trooper division at Ironman I can bring as many guns as I want out onto a stage.  I usually bring a birdshot gun and a slug gun.  This year I had a race 1919 and a stock 1919, that worked well.  Next year I will do a drum fed Vepr 12 and a raced out 1919.

Low recoil stuff is great for steel but for the spinner they really need to be done in one hit.  I will be on the look out for some accurate 1500fps stuff.  Maybe some Slugger High Velocity.

Thanks for the tips.

I had a bolt action smoothbore that would put Federal 2 1/2" 7/8 oz. slugs into a cloverleaf at 60 yards, but ANY other slugs would open the group up to over a foot. You really have to find what the gun "likes", not try to make the gun work for any damned thing you put in it.

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1

Just back from the range and verified zero (@50y) with my Fiocchi slugs and the three shots went into a nice clover with all holes overlapping, so the group must have been well under 1" (c-c).

I havent tried the full power (1600fps) Fiocchis in my MKA, but in my M2 they're as accurate as the reduced ones and only drop a little less at 100 (8" vs 4" with a 75y zero)

Rifled chokes are probably good for deer hunters but not so practical for 3 gun.  Unless you come across an all slug stage, you need to vary the choke to the stage.  

However, some folks shoot LM for everything.  Testing found it to be the best choke for slugs in my gun.

In my MKA1919 I found that with Carlson LM chokes, Remington Managed Recoil Slugs get me the best accuracy out to about 80 yards.  Past that and its a crap shoot.

It seems like most of the people end up buying the 7/8 oz fiocci brenneke style for light recoil, flat trajectory, and good accuracy at a low price. Have you tried those?

Then I suppose you need to find out what flies truer out of your gun. Faster and heavier never means more accurate, unless your gun likes that load. A lighter, slower round on target is always better that a heavier, faster miss.

That was the point to my question.

If B&P target slugs cycled my gun I would shoot those all day.

Then I suppose you need to find out what flies truer out of your gun. Faster and heavier never means more accurate, unless your gun likes that load. A lighter, slower round on target is always better that a heavier, faster miss.