Any K98 experts here? I Need info in this plz...

I am currently working in a community working on the houses and a gentleman showed me this (pics below), he says it is a German K98 but the markings do not support it. Can anyone shed some light on the markings and what this is?  TY

P_20160830_131619.jpg

P_20160830_131637.jpg

P_20160830_131612.jpg

P_20160830_131819.jpg

Are you sure that's not a Japanese Arisaka? (or however it's spelled?). :unsure:

Looks like the chrysanthemum is even removed on it (like was agreed to by General Patton to appease the Japanese after WWII). 

It's a hella strong (as in good quality) action, BTW! :up:

Heck no, you can almost buy one with a Mum on it for that.

Case in point, there is one auction about to end on Gunjoker for one with a Mum, minimum bid $399. and no bids on it.

The bayonet offers a little more value, what is the overall condition, pitting/rust, hows the bore, are all #s matching?

Does it have all it's wood hand guards?

From the pics you show it's condition looks Very Good, so is it All Matching?

I wouldn't go over $275-300. without the Mum.

I would recommend buying one with a Mum if you want it for collection and want it to hold or increase in value.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Some rust on the receiver, not much pitting but some, he says he shoots it and is accurate, The thing is he said it was German and just by looking at the markings I knew it was not but I had to get info on it.

Not interested in it anymore, thanks again guys as usual you guys are very helpful....

Thanks

ETA:

As far as serial matching, all I saw was the number on the receiver...

Edited by 308saiga

It is a classic rifle. Small soldiers that needed a rifle that fired a smaller round.. It was a deadly round.

I would offer him $300, just to add it to my safe.

It doesn't sound like most people even care about this piece of history.

It reminds me of how the Saigas were treated 15 years ago.

Gun snobs suck.

The flower stamping was shallow enough to remove and still use the rifle?

Hmm. So much for honor. Just thinking.

I'll bet it's a great rifle.

Edited by Sim_Player

The chrysanthemum was an acceptance mark that indicated it was personal property of the emperor. When they surrendered guns, sold them, or otherwise took them out of official inventory, they would remove the mark, or hit it with a chisel to show that it was no longer emperor's property. When a GI took a gun from someone directly, the mark would be intact. 

Most people would rather have a gun in clean condition without obliterated markings. IMO, the obliteration is history too. I would mostly want an earlier war gun with the dust cover, and fancy sights. They are all cool history, and by all accounts a very fine gun.

The flower stamping was shallow enough to remove and still use the rifle?

I just watced a really good explanation of the development from C&Rsenal.

These guns were a conglomeration of most of the best ideas of the times. A lot of the features that rifles like the k98, and competing rifles were built around were basically extra strength and failsafes because of this new fangled high pressure ammo. mausers, SmLe, and the other major designs had gas vents and so forth. The arisakas (designed by Nambu) went a few layers further with this. They simplified the parts count and made it so that even gas going down the firing pin channel would be redirected by the safety knob. The point is, that these were smooth, way over built, but simple, and that the dust cover you grew up hearing was a bad idea was actually a really good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure that's not a Japanese Arisaka? (or however it's spelled?). unsure.png

Looks like the chrysanthemum is even removed on it (like was agreed to by General Patton to appease the Japanese after WWII). 

It's a hella strong (as in good quality) action, BTW! 032.gif

Ummmmm?  I believe you meant General Douglas MacArthur.

He was wayyyy to chummy with the Japanese after the surrender.

Macbeau...

• Like 2