So with my new Saiga coming in I was going to buy some bulk ammo. Anything I should specifically look for to ensure the gun will shoot? Just a fun play gun, was thinking #00 buck

Look at Velocity, and shot Weight. If it's in the green zone on this chart, you are golden. If it is in the Pink zone of shame (AKA "Tactical" "Law Enforcement", etc.) don't buy it.

p.s. OO Buck weighs 1/8 oz per pellet. Thus the standard 9 pellet OOB 1325 FPS field load is a 1 1/8 oz load. Reduced "tactical" 8 pellet weenie loads, often have less power  than some standard anti-quail shells.

post-17871-0-41112900-1473725177_thumb.jpg

The following things are IRRELEVANT> How tall or short the "brass" is. The diameter of the shot. i.e. #7, #8, buckshot, slug, bag of glitter.

Overall length of shell may matter if you plan on using a drum. Roll crimp shells tend to be longer, and the roll is more prone to damage in storage.

If you want the near perfect HD load, it's this: http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-VX-4-Buckshot/ *

* the asterisk, is a small logo symbolizing the true nature of internet ballistic experts.

• Like 1

It makes more sense to me to establish a baseline load for that weapon as-is.

Try the following, if you want. It will be educational.

Winchester Universal 100 round pack

Federal Multi-purpose 100 round pack

Winchester AA 1200 fps 1-1/8 oz

Winchester AA 1250 fps 1-1/8 oz

Winchester AA 1300 fps 1-1/8 oz

Winchester Super X 1330 fps 1-1/4 oz

At minimum, it should run the Super X if nothing has been done to it and the weapon is as it should be.

I hate to do this but would any of these cycle properly? I can't find the weight on all of them but the FPS looks high, so i'd assume they're low(er) weight? That Sellier stuff is no where to be found

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-12ga-ammo-12gabuckshot00fiocchihv-250

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-12ga-ammo-12ga2-3-4buck00rioroyal-250

Edited by Specialblend07

Ok, I ordered the 00 royal buck stuff. Made the executive decision....

Here is one thing I was curious about... I saw a drum mag that was cut so you could see the shells. I have a few extra mags and was curious if anyone has ever cut viewing windows in a stick mag? I'd think as long as you didn't cut too much the shell/spring/guide should hang up? Is this true? 

It's been done a few different ways. IMO the SGM mags would be a good starting point. Cut off the ribs, and have a sheet of polycarbonate~ .125" thick. Then router out your windows and glue on the poly carb. No room for dirt to get in, and the window gives back the strength you cut away.

• Like 2

It's been done a few different ways. IMO the SGM mags would be a good starting point. Cut off the ribs, and have a sheet of polycarbonate~ .125" thick. Then router out your windows and glue on the poly carb. No room for dirt to get in, and the window gives back the strength you cut away.

That's a great idea actually. I have a TON of lexan at my cabin. I'll be trying this weekend and report back with pictures.

• Like 1

Here is one thing I was curious about... I saw a drum mag that was cut so you could see the shells. I have a few extra mags and was curious if anyone has ever cut viewing windows in a stick mag? I'd think as long as you didn't cut too much the shell/spring/guide should hang up? Is this true? 

Rolled crimp loads can be problematic. It will not take long to find out if it will be an issue, especially in a drum.

• 2 weeks later...

So I shot the gun over the weekend. Super fun but after a few mags while the gun was still hot I was getting FTE's almost every round or every other. First few mags it was perfect, but seems like the gun gets hot and struggled. I had it on position 2

If you didn't pay attention to what specific ammo you fed it, that doesn't tell you or any of us anything.

I hate to do this but would any of these cycle properly? I can't find the weight on all of them but the FPS looks high, so i'd assume they're low(er) weight? That Sellier stuff is no where to be found

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-12ga-ammo-12ga2-3-4buck00rioroyal-250

So I shot the gun over the weekend. Super fun but after a few mags while the gun was still hot I was getting FTE's almost every round or every other. First few mags it was perfect, but seems like the gun gets hot and struggled. I had it on position 2

If you didn't pay attention to what specific ammo you fed it, that doesn't tell you or any of us anything.

It was Royal Buck 00 buck shot as posted in the link.

Very first picture in your link is the end of the box. 9 pellets of OOB @ 1345 FPS, 1/8 oz per pellet of OOB = 1 1/8 oz.  The standard field load of 00B is 9 pellets 1325 FPS, so this claims to be a tad spicier.

I think you can see where that would fit on the chart.

To put it another way, that is ammo which absolutely should run in any saiga or vepr reliably with our without tweaking.

So that means either the ammo is defective or you have probably some feed issue, such as sticky magazines, or obstructed gas ports.

• Like 1

Very first picture in your link is the end of the box. 9 pellets of OOB @ 1345 FPS, 1/8 oz per pellet of OOB = 1 1/8 oz.  The standard field load of 00B is 9 pellets 1325 FPS, so this claims to be a tad spicier.

I think you can see where that would fit on the chart.

To put it another way, that is ammo which absolutely should run in any saiga or vepr reliably with our without tweaking.

So that means either the ammo is defective or you have probably some feed issue, such as sticky magazines, or obstructed gas ports.

Thanks,

yeah I read reviews on the ammo and it seems everyone else runs it fine. The gas setting being on 2 shouldn't cause this issue correct? When I clean it i'll check the ports. Is there a good thread as to how to check that anywhere?

Many. 

I'll now give you the advice you should have.

Search.

Now I'll tell you how.

The site's internal search sucks. Instead use google. Like this " site:forum.siaga12.com [your search terms]"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.saiga12.com+check+my+ports

Solution found. I've never had that level of fouling, but some guns seem to get it for some people. Looks like either your gun or your ammo was prone to produce or collect crud.

Bend a small size paper clip so that you can poke around. The ports are angled, so that they are hard to see, but if you can poke a wire or dentist's pick in there, you can clean them all out. You should be able to poke the wire through 4 distinct ports. Some older guns had only 3.

• 2 weeks later...