Loose magazine latch pin, need help

The magazine latch pin on my Saiga 12 wants to work its way out upon firing.  I have my gun installed in a Kushnapup stock and hope I do not have to take it apart to fix this.  Any suggestions ? They would be appreciated.  Also, I do not know how to stake a pin. If this is what I need to do, please explain how to do it. 

Thanks.

A simple, well placed, easy, ding with the corner of a cold chisel on the rim of the pin hole should do it (inward, toward the center of the hole).

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chisel-Cold-1-4/131175240?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1380&adid=22222222227044285915&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=108189856637&wl4=pla-302545941437&wl5=9004999&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112562722&wl11=online&wl12=131175240&wl13=&veh=sem

Yes, much like a punch. Cold chisels are meant for cutting metal. There are other ways to do this, too, i.e. a longer pin peened on each end.  You could just use a punch, but that will likely make a larger staked area that would need to be dealt with if you ever had to remove the pin. It won't take a lot to hold it there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisel#Cold_chisel

Edited by YOT

Looks like about a .183 size pin or so?  Help please.  Do not have my metric gage thing handy.  If all else fails perhaps you can just steal and sacrifice a slightly large drill bit and cut off the shank?  This would be just a slightly larger diameter.  A firm tap in.  Or ... if you have a handy supply of various sized roll pins, that would work fine also.  An easy fun fix.  Very Russian!  smile.png

Edited by HB of CJ

Looks like about a .183 size pin or so?  Help please.  Do not have my metric gage thing handy.  If all else fails perhaps you can just steal and sacrifice a slightly large drill bit and cut off the shank?  This would be just a slightly larger diameter.  A firm tap in.  Or ... if you have a handy supply of various sized roll pins, that would work fine also.  An easy fun fix.  Very Russian!  smile.png

If you use a roll pin the hole in the latch lever may have to be enlarged slightly to allow free movement.

• Like 1

Use a nail, 6D box looks about right. Use the nail to drive out the pin, leaving the nail in. Cut the nail off leaving about as much sticking out on the point side as the diameter of the nail. Peen slightly - NOT enough to bind the latch, just enough to keep it in place. Peen with a small ball peen hammer, and do not get too aggressive .

• Like 2

I found a copper colored metal screw (if not copper it was a soft malleable metal of some type) and screwed it into place.  The threads on the screw were crushed somewhat but the new copper "pin" is definitly staying in until I need it to come out - which may be never. 

That was in a Saiga I modified from a sporter, not the Izmash converted 109A I later got.

Edited by Jdgemax