How do you all clean the chamber/throat of your S308?

How do you guys clean the barrel, throat, and chamber of your S308?  I have bore guides for my bolt actions and AR's.  Ive used an AR10 brush w/ chamber rod and the brush snaps off.  I think due to angle.  I love the AK platform but the fact that i cant get a proper cleaning rod to straight down the barrel is lame.  And yes i have a snake.  But I dont see that as a replacement for proper barrel cleaning.  

Go from the muzzle end. Insert a bore brush, being careful not to damage the crown, scrub a few times back and forth (obviously with some solvent in there), never letting the brush exit the muzzle completely (helps to prevent the brush from nicking the crown). Next, use a chamber brush on one of those flexible "Chamber Maid's" (allows a decent chamber cleaning without bending a cleaning rod). Then, reinsert the cleaning rod, now with a "patch puller" attachment until the attachment is easily accessible from inside the receiver. Thread a cleaning patch through the eyelet of the patch puller, and pull the patch through the bore. Repeat until patches come out clean. Follow up with an oiled patch. Lastly, I recommend a quality one piece coated cleaning rod, as a cheap segmented rod can have a "lip" where two sections of rod meet, and, again, could potentially nick the crown. I highly recommend Dewey cleaning rods.

Edited by forsaken352

Bore snakes dont do the same thing as rods, brushes, jags.  Proper cleaning may not be necessary on an ak.  But I would bet it's the difference between getting 20k rounds and 50k rounds through the gun.  Snakes are certainly "good enough" but do a thorough cleaning after using a snake and you'll see how much the snake leaves behind.  I use one piece ProShot polished stainless rods.  I have a pair for .22-.26 cal and another pair for larger cal.  Ive heard the coating on coated rods can scrape off in the barrel or on the crown.  I would not use a segmented rod unless it was an emergency.  I'll look into the chamber maids.  For simple barrel cleaning, my bore guide for my M-40 bolt gun works well being inserted through the reciever of my S308.  But there is a slight cant so the rod isnt enterring totally straight.  But itss clearing the throat and seems to straighten out by the time it hits the crown.  

Edited by EZTundra77
  • 1 month later...

M1a or a M14 USGI Chamber brush ratchet wigget. 

Edited by HB:  Also maybe a M1 Garand 30.06 chamber brush attached to a similiar rachet butt stock tool would work also.  Just do not insert so far into the chamber.  Never tried it myself, but it should also work.

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 1

Yeah, I generally just run a bore snake when I feel like cleaning it.  It may not clean quite as good as a real rod, brush, jag and patches, but I bet I would ruin the accuracy a lot faster cleaning from the muzzle with that stuff than I will by just using the boresnake to do a less thorough job.