R&R US Made Shotgun Prototype Almost Ready!

Robert Wright of R&R Targets has been working on a complete US made 12 ga. shotgun, loosely based on the Saiga 12, for the last 2 years.  The first prototype should be completed and ready to fire in the next 2 weeks.  Below is a photo of the receiver and barrel assembled and also shows the bolt and carrier.  Controls will be AR style and the receiver will accept any AR trigger. Pricing is not yet set.  I should have pictures and video after the first test firing.

Doug

post-22191-0-06510100-1474647684_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This is very cool. Does it still have a tappet in the gas block?

To tell you the truth I have not seen the gun in person and have only seen photos of parts.  I don't have a detailed knowledge of the gas system setup but I hope to be able to handle the gun in the next few weeks.  Robert lives about 5 hours away so I don't go there unless I have a reason. 

Doug

looks a lil chunky, but the proof will be in the pudding! its all gonna be about price and whether its actually soft shooting or not...

im excited!!! im glad he let us see it, hopefully he will get it to market sooner rather than later...

can i request stripped receivers or the like so we can do the sub 18" barrel with a min OAL of 26" and not file for a tax stamp???

looks a lil chunky, but the proof will be in the pudding! its all gonna be about price and whether its actually soft shooting or not...

im excited!!! im glad he let us see it, hopefully he will get it to market sooner rather than later...

can i request stripped receivers or the like so we can do the sub 18" barrel with a min OAL of 26" and not file for a tax stamp???

Things always look "chunky" in the white. It is going to shrink down visually with some finish on it.

Great idea on the receiver question.

• Like 1

+1 That comment hurt to read. The first versions of the saigas had straight insert mags, and they only downgraded them to market them to the US market, which thinks AK variants need to be clumsy as they were originally.

• Like 1

+1 That comment hurt to read. The first versions of the saigas had straight insert mags, and they only downgraded them to market them to the US market, which thinks AK variants need to be clumsy as they were originally.

I get the magwell use, I just want to use the mags I've invested in. $ keeps getting tighter these days.

I get the magwell use, I just want to use the mags I've invested in. $ keeps getting tighter these days.

Keep 'em and grind that nasty front lug off. Investment saved.

The last reason other than nostalgia for leaving a gun rock and lock died this year. Specifically a good straight insert drum went on sale. Convert, improve, never look back.

• 3 weeks later...

you don't usually anodize unless you've decided that it works well enough and you don't need to make more cuts or weld material back on. Can we assume that it has passed the first round of function testing then?

• Like 1

Robert has been working on this prototype for over a year and has done multiple CNC runs to get it the way he wants it.  All of the parts are built from scratch with his design but it operates like a Saiga, although the parts are not interchangeable.  From our conversations, at this point he is pretty sure things are going to work properly and is confident that the gun will run.  

Doug 

• Like 1

Very nice! Thanks for sharing...I can feel the need! Is a pre-order option in the works? If so please let me know. I'm in.

I'm not sure on the pre-order, but you could call him at 503-551-7283 and get in line.  You will be behind me, I'm getting one of the first ones!

Doug

• Like 2

Wow!  Any chance we can see some good pics of the plausible final production model?  Also ... will critical spare parts be available?

Parts shouldn't be any problem as they are being made here in the US.  I'll post final photos as soon as possible.

Doug

• Like 1

Very nice! Thanks for sharing...I can feel the need! Is a pre-order option in the works? If so please let me know. I'm in.

I'm not sure on the pre-order, but you could call him at 503-551-7283 and get in line.  You will be behind me, I'm getting one of the first ones!

Doug

OK...I will definitely take one of the first production guns. I'll give him a call, thanks for the phone number.

Ok, here is the assembled prototype of the R&R 12ga Mag Fed Shotgun.  Should be firing it later this week.  It sports one of his fully adjustable stocks but will take any AR stock or trigger.  I hope to be able to go down and shoot it in the next couple of weeks.  Top photo is of the proud papa, Robert Wright, holding his new baby.

Doug

post-22191-0-74237300-1477412764_thumb.jpg

post-22191-0-79419400-1477412796_thumb.jpg

• Like 3