Radically short Vepr 12 SBS

If you want to disprove me then run to the store and get a box. I already know mine will. You'll need a very large sheet of cardboard

It is your outrageous claim, not mine. Prove it.

The shorter barrel isn't going to do better. I sent one to tony for the 8in conversion on a F1

That tells me you guys don't run any buckshot out of these guns.

You sent a gun to Tony for work and that tells you no one uses buck in a SBS? You need a mental evaluation or you need to sober up.

• Like 1

I already posted it in the past it's not an outrageous claim you're the one saying it'll fire a fist size group and that you don't drill gas ports. I drill gas ports, tony drills gas ports, everyone with a short barrel probably did.

I just told you what it will do. If you don't want to go verify that by buying a $5 box of shells that's on you.

Edited by mike123456

I already posted it in the past it's not an outrageous claim you're the one saying it'll fire a fist size group and that you don't drill gas ports. I drill gas ports, tony drills gas ports, everyone with a short barrel probably did.

I just told you what it will do. If you don't want to go verify that by buying a $5 box of shells that's on you.

I did not say I don't drill gas ports. You are reading without comprehension of what you read. Slow down. Go back and read it again.

It is your claim, not mine. If you posted video of that here, just post a link. I don't have time for the range other than test firing customer builds and I even have to get that done quickly. This isn't as fun as everyone imagines.

I'm not sure you fully understand the way the Flight control wad works. The petals at the rear do not contain the shot. The non-expanding cup at the front contains the shot and does not open up at all. The petals at the rear simply open up, slow the wad, and the shot just goes onward about its flight path with no cup.

I'm not sure you fully understand the way the Flight control wad works. The petals at the rear do not contain the shot. The non-expanding cup at the front contains the shot and does not open up at all. The petals at the rear simply open up, slow the wad, and the shot just goes onward about its flight path with no cup.

Hey Evl, Thanks for the enlightening information. This clears up shot patterns in the SBS in my mind.

In fact I'll pay the $10 to see the video. 1 box of Remington 12 pellet patterned at 12 feet and one box of 3in 15 pellet just for laughs.

So, this is all coming from some dude that thinks polishing the finish off of a moving part will cause it to rust as opposed to the action removing the finish as a result of firing the shotgun?

Please continue to enlighten us with your bullshit know it all internet tough act oh Master of all Knowledge!

• Like 2

Hey Evl, Thanks for the enlightening information. This clears up shot patterns in the SBS in my mind.

I don't know it all, but I get by ok. I try my best to be helpful and explain things if I actually have anything legitimate to offer. That Flight Control is scary stuff. The shot is so concentrated at close range, even from an SBS, that it could easily render a limb lost or a head knocked almost clean off. Compare your fist to your throat width and that is what I get with Fed LE Premium 2-3/4" 00 buck at 21 feet from a 6.5" barrel. Game over for distances inside of an average home, which is a prime example of a perfect use for SBS.

I'm thinking that the only likely way one would get a 40" pattern at 12 feet is if something is contacting the shot cup on the way out of the barrel and, in essence, slinging the shot from the cup. I suppose it could happen, but my experience is much tighter at that distance, with any load. Often, the shot has not even exited the cup. I can put the majority of pellets with cheap bulk pack #8 onto an 8" plate at further than 12 feet with a 6.5" barrel, which only has a little over 3" of actual bore. Rem Express 3" 00 buck will expand radically compared to most other ammo, but I have still only gotten about 26" or so inches at 21 feet/7 yards.

In fact I'll pay the $10 to see the video. 1 box of Remington 12 pellet patterned at 12 feet and one box of 3in 15 pellet just for laughs.

So, this is all coming from some dude that thinks polishing the finish off of a moving part will cause it to rust as opposed to the action removing the finish as a result of firing the shotgun?

Please continue to enlighten us with your bullshit know it all internet tough act oh Master of all Knowledge!

I got a chuckle out of that rust comment too. I think that Russian steel has a high nickel content. The receivers will get some very minor surface rust after being stripped, welded, and exposed for a while, but I have never ever seen a carrier rust.

Don't do it it will rust. Hot blueing is your best friend!

It didn't register to me this morning what you did there, but I see it now, lol.

Those are called wad stripper chokes, and they do exist. Most of them only work with particular wads, and are usually very specialized for shooting at birds which fly fast, close, and crosswise to you. i.e. out of a barn loft from up close.

• Like 1

Those are called wad stripper chokes, and they do exist. Most of them only work with particular wads, and are usually very specialized for shooting at birds which fly fast, close, and crosswise to you. i.e. out of a barn loft from up close.

I was thinking more along the lines if a muzzle device not quite aligned well with the bore, but that does sound interesting. Off to youtube...

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking that the only likely way one would get a 40" pattern at 12 feet is if something is contacting the shot cup on the way out of the barrel and, in essence, slinging the shot from the cup. I suppose it could happen,

It will do it because there is no shot cup. What you have in normal buckshot is pellets stacked on cardboard discs... but I can see you still haven’t done it.

The cardboard discs in the bottom of Remington 12 pellet 00 will exit the barrel with such high pressure they blow the shot apart 

Edited by mike12345

You see I’ve already done this with a big sheet of cardboard and an 8in barrel. Loads I was discussing were 15pel 3in 12pel 2 & 3/4

I’m thinking you either only shoot birdshot or like most people don’t realize how big of a pattern you throw. 

Another reason to go with 12in is a loss of only 100FPS from 18in aside from the pressure. Normal buckshot the pressure will cause standard cardboard wads/discs to blow apart the shot producing a large spread. Flight control and similar the pressure will blow the back off the flight control/versatite wad. The pressure is too high to choke it could tear out. 

Edited by mike12345
On 11/4/2017 at 10:34 AM, mixednuttz said:

Now you’re in trouble... because rather than strip all the finish off a part and leave it bare metal which rusts (It’s called oxidation, iron oxide, oxygen is corrosive) you coat it with something. This is the same reason you wipe it down with oil. Hotbluing is a professional gun finish which is smooth.  if for whatever reason you decide the finish on it isn’t good enough, (it’s an AK that works fine, izhmash or Molot even) the correct way to do it is run the damn thing through a bluing tank. And yes I’ve been on this form under two accounts since 2002.

That’s the last time I’m posting in this thread dip here was enough. If you don’t bother to go pattern the fucker i don’t know why you would keep arguing you obviously don’t care what it does.

Edited by mike12345
3 hours ago, mike12345 said:

Now you’re in trouble... because rather than strip all the finish off a part and leave it bare metal which rusts (It’s called oxidation, iron oxide, oxygen is corrosive) you coat it with something. This is the same reason you wipe it down with oil. Hotbluing is a professional gun finish which is smooth.  if for whatever reason you decide the finish on it isn’t good enough, (it’s an AK that works fine, izhmash or Molot even) the correct way to do it is run the damn thing through a bluing tank. And yes I’ve been on this form under two accounts since 2002.

That’s the last time I’m posting in this thread dip here was enough. If you don’t bother to go pattern the fucker i don’t know why you would keep arguing you obviously don’t care what it does.

Damn, I wish you would have taken less than a YEAR to edit your post about rust and make some snarky reply to me. My guns all rusted since I had no idea that you had to blue and oil them. 

Were you in a coma or something? You came back to necropost and edit a comment that made you look like an idiot.

Anything I posted was edited to add something at the time I posted it or not at all. I wouldn’t go back and edit something a year old that’s also been quoted. 

ETA: once it’s been quoted for posterity it’s up forever, never edited one more than a few min old, and if I was wrong I’d admit it. I am not.

Edited by mike12345

I will say this you’re responsible for whatever you hit. if you did what we discussed with an 8in barrel and didn’t know that’s going to be a problem. It hit the whole room and went through the walls. Pattern size should double 2x distance. That’s why I warn people 

ill add that the 8in is so loud it will destroy you firing that without ear plugs but I fire the 12in without plugs and no ringing. It’s about the noise of a standard shotgun. 

Edited by mike12345
4 hours ago, YOT said:

Evl, why you're letting a troll bother you I can't figure out. That's outta character for you.

You're right. However, I have limits just like anyone else. I needed to hear that and I sincerely appreciate it.

• Like 1