Just purchased a Saiga 12. Question about serial number and markings.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can work, it will just be more difficult to control than one that is made for setting rivets.   Edit to add; my AK riveting tools:     Usually for the rear trunnion rivets I use one of the r

Convert it. Anything else is teh ghey

Rivets can be set by hand with a buck and a ball peen hammer, followed by a homemade set to 'pretty it up'. I made the cavity for the set with a dremmel.

Trigger guard rivets are their own special ball of fuck.  They are very difficult to do without one of the purpose built jigs, FYI.

hmmm, i dont understand....

i take the OG guard, grind the extra crap off it, fold the front tab around 180 after heating redhot, then just make a shop head on the outside with any given flat bar, easy sleazy

He was talking about using Curtis' conversion trigger guard kit that has rivets on the sides like a regular AK trigger guard.  There's no clearance between the edge of the rivet head and the side of the trigger guard for a standard rivet set/punch, and you also need an offset buck to form the shop head due to interference with the receiver rails.  There's a special jig made for setting these rivets in a hydraulic press which is the best way to go, but even then they are a pain.  A gunsmith friend of mine modified a rivet set to make clearance with the trigger guard, which seems to work OK for him. 

Damn I guess il be calling Russian legion to see if they can send me the pin, clip, and spring. And Matco sent me the wrong rivet set... so I called a local places and they said they can do the trunnion rivets and trigger guard rivets for 60 dollars so il just going to go that route and let them rivet the parts on. Their also going to cerekote it for me.

• Like 1

Congrats on joining the S12 tribe.

Here's the correct front latch for the  S12 

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30057

Curtis at AK-builder also has rivets and most anything else needed usually.

That front latch needs to be precise so I suggest you take the time to search this site for instructional threads.  There should be a diagram with precise measurements posted in at least one thread here as I recall.

The Russian/Bulgy triangle folding stock is possibly the single most identifiable AK item.  It is however, designed for the rifles and krinks (SBR).  Looking through this site, you'll find a few pictures of folks who installed a triangle on their S12.  More power to them but that's way too much abuse on my shoulder. There are a couple diff recoil pads made for the triangle but I'd consider the solid black poly AK100 folding stock.  Just make sure to get everything in the same pin size, either 4.5mm or 5.5mm.  ...and remember that these are "foreign" parts which add up on the 922r total. 

Best of luck

Harv

• Like 1

The Russian/Bulgy triangle folding stock is possibly the single most identifiable AK item.  It is however, designed for the rifles and krinks (SBR).  Looking through this site, you'll find a few pictures of folks who installed a triangle on their S12.  More power to them but that's way too much abuse on my shoulder.

Yeah, 12 gauge recoil was nearly the entire reason I designed the stock that is on my S-12...  I wanted something that had a similar look to one of the triangles, with the ability to take a big fat Limbsaver pad, compatible with the modular stock system popularized by ACE.  Didn't want to screw with the receiver mods for the Russian style or lock myself into that one type of stock.

Using the AK100 was more about weight, strength, and how compact it is when folded. The WARSAW always felt perfect to me, so the AK100 was a natural transition from the fixed WARSAW stocks that I was accustomed to. However, for budget, ease of install, and comfort I really like the Magpul Zhukov. That one is great as long as you don't plan on running over it or freezing it and buttstroking boulders ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well machine work to receiver is almost done. Just have to do the holes for the rear latch for the stock. I've come to realize how the spring and front latch work now that it's coming together. I didint realize the spring was held in by the handguard. So am I pretty much limited now to the stock handguard? I'm not sure I will be able to use this chaos tri rail with the ak 100 stock due to the front latch.

Edited by 703 CamaroSS

Just got my gun back from my co worker and he did an excellent job machiNing the receiver. Now I'm going to test fit everything and if it turns out to be all good. I'm going to take it to get the rivets instalked and cerekote. Can't wait to shoot it. He machines the pistol grip nut hole, the the end of the receiver, the front latch hole on the side, and the front latch pin hole.

20161102_233850_zpsz2l6qguw.jpg

20161102_233902_zps4rg5akqy.jpg

20161102_233912_zps9kgkr4e6.jpg

20161102_233933_zpsiicnjobx.jpg

20161102_233947_zpspcfinx1a.jpg

Edited by 703 CamaroSS

im having relapses of converting these things.....

folders liked to deal with the thickness of the reciever metals.......just sayin.

pounded into place

Edited by Ben Vampatella
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Thank you! Long barrel makes it look weird with the stock folded but still wasnt worth cutting down unless i went sbs.

Btw if anyone could point me in the correct direction of where to find an ak74 gas tube for my saiga 7.62 conversion that would be great! Every place says out of stock that i checked.