I bought some land that had an old 11HP 38"cut Murray riding lawn mower on it. The tires were flat, and to say it had been neglected over the years would be kind. I replaced one tire, spark plug, fuel filter, and air filter. Surprisingly it started right up. I abused it, reclaiming about 2-3 acres of 1 1/2" sweet gums, pines, and briars. It definitely earned its investment. Below is the only pic I have of it in its original condition, because quite frankly I didn't think it was that special:

post-37530-0-03341600-1476244033_thumb.jpeg

I have since bought a proper tractor and rotary cutter, but that little Murray endeared itself to me with the way it took punishment and just kept on going. So I decided to give it an appearance that reflected its toughness. I am still waiting for a couple of decals from Amazon, but Murray is now "Murray the Punisher" or MP for short. It will have an 11" Punisher skull on the hood when finished. I might have $100 bucks in the entire project:

post-37530-0-32167200-1476244372_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-73823800-1476244400_thumb.jpeg

post-37530-0-38289900-1476244442_thumb.jpeg

With a little imagination sometimes junk can become gems, and now the wife wants to put mudder tires on it. She has come a long way.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 7

Nice job! You can't lose with that one!

Add a toy belt fed on the hood and you're set!

I actually looked at an air soft 1919 hopper fed that could be mounted on the hood. Too much to spend for the novelty factor. As far as the Punisher decal, I know it is a little mall ninja, but it does accurately describe this little mower. I do agree it might look better with the simple stars. This was all for fun anyway.

• 1 month later...

I had one very similar to that and it was pretty tough too. It ran and ran in spite of me never really maintaining it like I could have. They really don't make them like that anymore. Seems even the metal was thicker everywhere. However, I don't miss needing it. We downsized big time and now I can pull a few weeds, trim the palm trees, cut the grass, edge, and blow everything off in about 1 hour. Maintaining our previous yard and the additional properties used to be a weekend affair. I'm just too busy for that anymore.

I'm digging that punisher decal.

• Like 1

I hear where you are coming from on the downsizing the landscaping. I need to do the same or upsize the maintenance equipment

We really weren't thinking downsizing at the time though. It was more like do we really want to do this again (build another house and move) when we retire? I plan on working until I simply can't anymore, just less than now, and wanted something that would not be very time consuming. I was awesome to just go get a decent push mover for less than $300 and know that it would be adequate and last a while.The only negative of how we live now that directly affects me is that there is no way I can shoot here. It would be nice to step out the back door and shoot, but I'm not sure that luxury is worth the effort of maintaining a place where that is possible, to me. If I could pay someone else to do it all with their equipment that would be another story ;)

• Like 2

I am with you on the lack of a personal range. Moving from Maryland, I was raped by dishonest real estate speculators and lawyers. Came out OK, but NOT with enough $$$ to buy enough land for a range. However, the maintenance on my 3 1/2 acres is fairly minimal, mowing is a bimonthly affair here, NOT a biweekly one like Maryland!  I do need to paint the old lawn tractor - maybe in a desert tan?

• Like 1

We are actually going in the opposite direction with this property. The range as currently laid out is 400 yards from the shooting house location (materials onsite but yet to be built) to the target stands which consist of AR 500 plates and stands for paper. The range is graduated in 100 yards increments. We have about 25 acres in pasture now that will need to be maintained. I have a neighbor who cuts it for hay so I only worry about the shooting lane which is easily handled with the tractor and bush hog, and the area around the barn which is what the Murray is used for.

It beats the heck out of edging planter beds, mowing, weed control, fertilization, and all the other crap that I thought I used to enjoy in the quest for a beautiful yard in the neighborhood we currently live in. The beauty I see in God's creation on that 40 acres is far greater than what I could ever produce with unlimited time, talent, and treasure in a neighborhood.

• Like 1