Two months since the flood here in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas.

Floods like this that effect so many, around 100k houses and 10k businesses depending on who is talking, have problems all their own.

Still staying with friends while we try to either get the house livable (relative term) or throw in the towel and leave the South behind for good.

Neither is going very well but could be worse.

This was a real education and Ive been through a lot of disasters living as I have on the Gulf coast for so long.

One does not realize how corrupt this populace, state, city, and federal government truly has become until dealing with this kind of hardship. The disgust is palatable.

Dry boxes, god bless them. Did not lose a single round or grain of powder even with 3 feet of sewage infested water on the property.

From now on I store everything in them in particular keepsakes.

Firearms, I got too many. Cutting it down to a shotty, two LIGHTWEIGHT semi rifles, one boltie, and a pistol each. I may keep my competition rifle and pistol but it would be a risky bet at this point. Generally less stuff is good.

Preps, man we were really for anything else except a flood on land that had not flooded since Hernando de Soto crossed the Mississippi river.

Most of it is gone now.

Kind of liberating in a way, many decision we had made both the good and the bad have been wiped clean. Nothing like a fresh start in your 60s... yeah nothing like it.

Well yall be cool out there, going to be a long winter. 

• Like 4

Prayers to you and your family.  I am truly sorry for all that has happened  to you.  Starting over....well, I'm 53 and just bought my first and last house.  It is overwhelming at times...all the things I need to do.  But compared to you and your problem, it is nothing.  I couldn't imagine doing it again...though I know the human spirit is strong within those of use that try.  God bless you and take care. 

• Like 1

I thank you for the kind words and prayers.

It has been a long two months but trust me when I say we are fortunate compared to what has happened to many others.

So many people had entire extended families flooded out with no kind of family support possible. We had exactly one person left to call on and they answered that call thankfully or else we would be god knows where by now. So no pity party here on our part.

But man yall would not believe some of things we have seen in these last weeks. Scammers have lined up all the way to India to try and bilk desperate people. A mayor that leaves town in the middle of this to go to Taiwan on good will visit... yep seriously. There was exactly four (4) hotel rooms available in this town of half a million people last week and many of the floodies are being kicked out of their rooms for ... now get this... football packages to see LSU play. They are actually moving the canceled LSU-FL game (due to the hurricane)  to Baton Rouge so they can make some money by kicking out the folks on a FEMA ticket. Oh yeah it is a real party down here.

Another day in paradise for sure and Idaho is looking better every day.

• 1 month later...

Looking into moving to the Savage 11 Scout 308.

Always liked the concept and now with the new attitude on weight it seems the answer.

Discounted the Ruger and Mossy for various reasons now focused on the Savage.

Once I settle on it and it checks out well will just put the S308s and all components up for sale on GB and get what the market will bear.

Trimming almost 40% of the weight at the cost of some firepower but cant shoot what ya cant carry easily IMO.

Any experiences?

Edited by Rhodes1968

The mdt tss chassis really is giving me a hard on as far as bolt guns go. and they make it for the savage. Not really a scout but cool long range rig. And sorry about you predicament. North ga is a great place to live. And not far from la.

But id take another look at the ruger American from reviews I've been reading its shoot pretty damn good for the price.

The mdt tss chassis really is giving me a hard on as far as bolt guns go. and they make it for the savage. Not really a scout but cool long range rig. And sorry about you predicament. North ga is a great place to live. And not far from la.

But id take another look at the ruger American from reviews I've been reading its shoot pretty damn good for the price.

You must be psychic.

I was, and may again, looking hard at the Ruger American Predator in 308, love what they did with that one. However since I am picking a replacement for the S308 and am giving up a lot of firepower already the four round mag just means giving up too much.

I may well replace the Marlin 308 that I am not happy with at all with the Ruger Pred at some later date after getting this worked out, cant say yet.

Thanks

As for North Ga yall got your own problem right now I am sorry to see, hope the rain puts that out.

Still looking at in depth at Idaho, some things I wish to get far away from right now.

Who knows, I sure dont.... yet.

Just went looking for my old copy of Cooper's Art of the Rifle and found out the flood ate it.

*sighs* Ok easy to replace but also found a great web site inspired by the great man's work:

Rich Mann's blog http://empty-cases.com/blog/

Check it out he has a new book coming out early next year.

If you want to move up to Wisconsin, the next door neighbor's property just went up for sale.  Lake lot on Winnebago with water on two sides.  Duck hunting within city limits from the backyard.  Mountains of ice on the shoreline every year, and lakeflies in the spring.  Carp on the bayside, walleye on the lakeside.

• Like 1

You must be psychic.

I was, and may again, looking hard at the Ruger American Predator in 308, love what they did with that one. However since I am picking a replacement for the S308 and am giving up a lot of firepower already the four round mag just means giving up too much.

I may well replace the Marlin 308 that I am not happy with at all with the Ruger Pred at some later date after getting this worked out, cant say yet.

Thanks

As for North Ga yall got your own problem right now I am sorry to see, hope the rain puts that out.

Still looking at in depth at Idaho, some things I wish to get far away from right now.

I don't know if chassis systems are your thing but you can get a chassis from MDT called the tss and it's actually pretty cheap and allows detachable mags and increases accuracy by a lot. I'm in the process of getting a long range rig. And that chassis and the ruger American or possibly a savage axis heavy barrel. In the mdt chassis. Or an 18" barreled ar15. Decisions.

• Like 1

My uncle has a ruger scout left handed. And it's a sweet gun. But both the ruger American and savage axis are under 300 bucks. And shoot MOA. It's amazing they can build such an accurate rifle for the money. Mdt chassis is like 300 bucks so $60p plus mags and optics and you'll have a half MOA rifle that would stand with 3k dollar long range rigs all day.

If you want to move up to Wisconsin, the next door neighbor's property just went up for sale.  Lake lot on Winnebago with water on two sides.  Duck hunting within city limits from the backyard.  Mountains of ice on the shoreline every year, and lakeflies in the spring.  Carp on the bayside, walleye on the lakeside.

It is beautiful there, some winters aside, and you are absolutely right.

My misgivings about that part of the country unfortunately revolve around the human political element understanding most of it remains in Madison yet still they do control the state to large degree.

That said I am a Packers fan. ;)

You must be psychic.

Thanks

I don't know if chassis systems are your thing but you can get a chassis from MDT called the tss and it's actually pretty cheap and allows detachable mags and increases accuracy by a lot. I'm in the process of getting a long range rig. And that chassis and the ruger American or possibly a savage axis heavy barrel. In the mdt chassis. Or an 18" barreled ar15. Decisions.

I dont see a TSS on their site got a link?

My uncle has a ruger scout left handed. And it's a sweet gun. But both the ruger American and savage axis are under 300 bucks. And shoot MOA. It's amazing they can build such an accurate rifle for the money. Mdt chassis is like 300 bucks so $60p plus mags and optics and you'll have a half MOA rifle that would stand with 3k dollar long range rigs all day.

Both the Ruger and Savage rifles are a good get for very reasonable money and since I no longer have the will or means for long range shooting I will stick with a 500m platform.

After trying the Savage yesterday at the gun club I just fell in love with that action, smooth as butter and did not even have to take my eyes off the target to cycle. Hope its an indication of what to expect.

It comes down very minor details and the fact I've so many irons in the fire at present there is no time for a project so the closer it is to what I want the better. Seriously I look at what is ahead of us and just wish I was 30 years younger, but hey could be worse right.

My philosophy of use is to have one light powerful rifle that does all things well enough and I unquestioningly grab should the time come and as impossible as that may be still it has to be attempted. Cooper already did the hard work for us, all that remains is the training.

Talked myself into keeping one x39 just for firepower but I am not going to tote it and the drums very far, and I may still talk myself out of that.

Goal is to get things down to fitting all my firearms into one small 7 gun safe, it will have to moved also when the time comes so the big one must go.

Getting old is a bitch but thankfully one does pick up a bit of clarity in the trade. 

On another note my wife fell head over heels with the Marlin Papoose and has asked I make that "her" new grab'n'go long gun, Ive no complaints 

Hang tough. Grew up in the deep south during Carla & Betsy. I was raised at a very young age to be self reliant. Also cleaned out four houses

after Katrina. Take away? Stock up on shotgun shells for roving bands of thugs, and a .22 revolver for varmints. I have a vast collection of

ammo cans in various sized to keep needed supplies. A family member (liberal) evacuated to Baton Rouge from New Orleans running

from Katrina, had difficulty location ammo at the last minute. Walmart shut doors, and wouldn't sell guns and ammo. The unprepaired 

were forced to maw and paw gun stores. $50.00 for a 50 round box of .380. Imaging that.

Be safe and prepaired.

Hang tough. Grew up in the deep south during Carla & Betsy. I was raised at a very young age to be self reliant. Also cleaned out four houses

after Katrina. Take away? Stock up on shotgun shells for roving bands of thugs, and a .22 revolver for varmints. I have a vast collection of

ammo cans in various sized to keep needed supplies. A family member (liberal) evacuated to Baton Rouge from New Orleans running

from Katrina, had difficulty location ammo at the last minute. Walmart shut doors, and wouldn't sell guns and ammo. The unprepaired 

were forced to maw and paw gun stores. $50.00 for a 50 round box of .380. Imaging that.

Be safe and prepaired.

Thank you

Been here since 1984 and think it's time to live somewhere new, us folks nearer the end than the beginning get wander lust as well.

Just dont have the will to fight this without the desire to stay. 

On a happier note going to be doing a lot of shooting this week God willing and the creek dont rise.

The root of my family is from New Roads and I understand your line of thinking. May consider migrating to northern Louisiana. I have done

work around Many, La. Northern Louisiana is a completely different state. Must the the British/Spanish influence vs the French.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Be safe,

You must be psychic.

Thanks

I dont see a TSS on their site got a link?

Sorry I meant LSS

Be safe and prepaired.

Thank you

Been here since 1984 and think it's time to live somewhere new, us folks nearer the end than the beginning get wander lust as well.

Just dont have the will to fight this without the desire to stay.

On a happier note going to be doing a lot of shooting this week God willing and the creek dont rise.

I was born in 1984. Sorry I had to.

• Like 1

The Savage performed marvelously and only needs some use to be as near perfect as one is going to find off the shelf.

The peep sights are definitely backup worthy but need an upgrade if going to be used as primary sighting. 

Bolt is a bit stiff but again needs use or polishing and it would put hot butter to shame.

Groups at 25m (indoor range) basically just one large hole.

Using Mil-Surp German MEN ammo.

Did two mad minutes and never had to take my eyes off the target just to cycle. Magazine changes once I was used to them are pretty solid.

Now I need to find a good LER scope for it since the basic rifle has checked out wonderfully.

• Like 1

The Savage performed marvelously and only needs some use to be as near perfect as one is going to find off the shelf.

The peep sights are definitely backup worthy but need an upgrade if going to be used as primary sighting.

Bolt is a bit stiff but again needs use or polishing and it would put hot butter to shame.

Did two mad minutes and never had to take my eyes off the target just to cycle. Magazine changes once I was used to them are pretty solid.

Now I need to find a good LER scope for it since the basic rifle has checked out wonderfully.

You going to mount your scope in the normal spot of scout style?

Also you looking for long range or medium to short range?

You going to mount your scope in the normal spot of scout style?

Also you looking for long range or medium to short range?

Long Eye relief, one with illuminated reticles for low light use, and not really looking for much past 400m so thinking a 2-7x if possible with focus.

The illuminated reticles are the higher priority than variable magnification.

Yeah I know pretty specific.

I've read really good reviews on millet scopes. I don't think they have a 2-7. OI know they make an awesome 4-16 that for the price is very good. But at 400 and under I'd look at a 1-4x 400meters with 1-4x unless you got bad eyes should be adequate.

From what ive been looking at 2-7x illuminated is usally 22 scopes. And with a 308 and 400 and under I would think youd use hold over not dialing in drop. So I'd be looking for some kind of bullet drop reticle, and that also should open up cheaper scopes. Since what you really get for more money beyond clarity is accurately be able to adjust drop and return to zero.

Check this scope out.

It may be just what your looking for.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/217677/millett-dms-2-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-illuminated-brc-1-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-Millett-_-217677&gclid=CL70sceY8tACFQWpaQodbNoG8g

I've read really good reviews on millet scopes. I don't think they have a 2-7. OI know they make an awesome 4-16 that for the price is very good. But at 400 and under I'd look at a 1-4x 400meters with 1-4x unless you got bad eyes should be adequate.

From what ive been looking at 2-7x illuminated is usally 22 scopes. And with a 308 and 400 and under I would think youd use hold over not dialing in drop. So I'd be looking for some kind of bullet drop reticle, and that also should open up cheaper scopes. Since what you really get for more money beyond clarity is accurately be able to adjust drop and return to zero.

Check this scope out.

It may be just what your looking for.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/217677/millett-dms-2-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-illuminated-brc-1-reticle-matte?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scopes+-+Under+12X-_-Millett-_-217677&gclid=CL70sceY8tACFQWpaQodbNoG8g

Thanks

Unfortunately need about 9-11" of eye relief so 3.5" wont cut it.

Yes they are difficult to find, price paid for being outside the box so to speak.

BDC is not a great priority since I wont be doing any long range work and the 308 is flat enough for guess work even with a 100m zero.

Cleaning up some flood stuff today I found an old 2x scope I used to have mounted on a mosin, cleaned up well and illumination works so I may go with that for a while until I find what I want.

Take to range next week see if it checks out.

Thanks, it is working out so far better than expectations.

It's a mind set shift and a half going from firepower to utility and long range accuracy to reaction speed but it makes sense at this stage of life and current climate of crazy out there.

Going to be using up a good deal of ammo in the coming weeks getting as comfortable as possible with using the configuration.

May even invest a weekend at an Apple Seed if flood matters allow, been too long since I saw those guys anyway.

• 2 weeks later...