- - - - -

recomendations on a genreal purpose scope

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mattyp 29

mattyp 29

• 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hey all. Thanx for havin me. I was hoping get some some good recommendations on a general purpose scope for my saiga. Not too expensive yet, not cheap either. I don't mind paying for something but, like everybody else, I'm gonna want and expect the proper ruggedness and performance for the money. Of all my .308's , I enjoy my Saiga the most and want to go a different direction with it for awhile. thanx ahead of time and I appreciate any feedback you folks can offer. Matty P.

#2 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Deep Fat Fry

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Vortex Diamondback scopes are Crystal clear and built tough with a great warranty for under $200. I have 3.
  • patriot and mattyp 29 like this
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." Lawrence J. Peter

#3 patriot

patriot

Pro Patria Vigilans. Verbum Vincet

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

I bought a Vortex Viper a few weeks ago. Great scope. Crystal clear. Repeatable. Solid.

Fit and finish are perfect.

The rep I worked with @ Vortex was knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

Warranty is second to none.

Burris and Leupold  are excellent scopes as well. 

These three have given me the best performance without breaking the bank.

There are some excellent buys on scopes at an online discount site that also sells SWFA scopes. A search will give you the link. They sell demo and sample scopes in like new condition at deep discounts.

Edited by patriot, 28 October 2016 - 05:50 AM.

• mattyp 29 likes this

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four BoxesJames 1:25
Tromix.....The best Saiga 12 you could buy. 

#4 johnnycash

johnnycash

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

Whatever your choice, here's something to at least consider. ...a lighted reticle is great, however, if the glass is also etched, you will be way ahead if your batteries run out......if not, you'll just end up with a hollow tube when you need it most. (Murphy's law)...

#5 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

I'm pretty happy with the Nikon M300BLK on my 300 Blackout SBR, so if I were looking for a scope for my .308, I would consider one of their units with the BDC for .308.  Either that, or something from the Leupold custom shop with a BDC set up for my favorite handload.  Right now it has one of Loopy Redfields in 3x9 which I am happy with.

Edited by Netpackrat, 27 October 2016 - 08:00 PM.

• GunFun likes this

#6 garnaz

garnaz

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

Leatherwood/hilux
Glass is better than my burris. Around 156 on Amazon.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight.
It's the size of the fight in the dog. FFDP

#7 WhiskeyMinion

WhiskeyMinion

They speak of my drinking, but never think of my thirst

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

I love my Redfield Battlezone 3x9x42 with 168 grain with .308 turret

My room is a grave yard of whisky bottles in a swamp of stale beer, cigar ashes, and dick jokes.

#8 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:34 AM

Leatherwood/hilux

FWIW, the illumination has gone flaky on my new-ish CMR AK scope on my SBR, and I'm probably going to send it in for service at some point.

#9 mattyp 29

mattyp 29

• 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:09 AM

Wow! This is all really helpful Info guys (and ladies if applicable). My momma is an 80 something Missouri girl from the bootheel and can still knock the pecker off a fly @ 40 or 50 yards open sight so, no offense ladies. Many thanx to you folks indeed. Matty P. If I can ever help, just ask.

#10 HB of CJ

HB of CJ

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

Consider the old Leopold 1x4x20 "dangerous game scope".  Older.  Kinda long.  Kinda big.  Very tough.  Excellent optics.  This scope despite the small aperture is very good at gathering low light.  Does have a kinda short focus distance from the eye to the scope.  Works for us.  Spendy at $400 bucks delivered from Optics Planet.

Standard duplex reticle.

Edited by HB of CJ, 28 October 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#11 yakdung

yakdung

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

I purchased a scope for my .22 pistol from this company. They were setup at a local gunshow outside of Houston. Decided to give them a try.

Lifetime warrenty.

http://ospreyscopes.com

"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." ~ B. Franklin

#12 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

I'm pretty happy with the Nikon M300BLK on my 300 Blackout SBR, so if I were looking for a scope for my .308, I would consider one of their units with the BDC for .308.  Either that, or something from the Leupold custom shop with a BDC set up for my favorite handload.  Right now it has one of Loopy Redfields in 3x9 which I am happy with.

I've been wanting one of those for a while now.

#13 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

Leatherwood/hilux

FWIW, the illumination has gone flaky on my new-ish CMR AK scope on my SBR, and I'm probably going to send it in for service at some point.

Fired this rifle again yesterday...  Scope had lost zero in a big way; it is hitting roughly a foot to the right of POA at 100 meters.  Looked it over very closely and couldn't find anything loose or anything wrong with the mounting.  I need to take it back to the range and double check the scope against the irons on paper (I had only brought steel yesterday) in order to isolate the problem to the scope for certain, but at this point I am fairly sure the Leatherwood scope is fubar.

I've been wanting one of those for a while now.

Eat your heart out:

m300rcpt.jpg

• HB of CJ and Ronin38 like this

#14 Rhodes1968

Rhodes1968

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

I will say this about the Nikon, good glass and it survived the flood where others did not.

So guess what Im buying to replace the failed ones...

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.

#15 hughes35e

hughes35e

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

I've got a Nikon P308 in mine. Picked it up for $200 on sale at Cabelas. It's a good, clear scope. The bdc is a little funky though. You have to use an app online to get your distances right.
"The only thing that can stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun."-- Louis L'amour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users