recomendations on a genreal purpose scope

Hey all. Thanx for havin me. I was hoping get some some good recommendations on a general purpose scope for my saiga. Not too expensive yet, not cheap either. I don't mind paying for something but, like everybody else, I'm gonna want and expect the proper ruggedness and performance for the money. Of all my .308's , I enjoy my Saiga the most and want to go a different direction with it for awhile. thanx ahead of time and I appreciate any feedback you folks can offer. Matty P.

I bought a Vortex Viper a few weeks ago. Great scope. Crystal clear. Repeatable. Solid.

Fit and finish are perfect.

The rep I worked with @ Vortex was knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

Warranty is second to none.

Burris and Leupold  are excellent scopes as well. 

These three have given me the best performance without breaking the bank.

There are some excellent buys on scopes at an online discount site that also sells SWFA scopes. A search will give you the link. They sell demo and sample scopes in like new condition at deep discounts.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

Whatever your choice, here's something to at least consider. ...a lighted reticle is great, however, if the glass is also etched, you will be way ahead if your batteries run out......if not, you'll just end up with a hollow tube when you need it most. (Murphy's law)...

I'm pretty happy with the Nikon M300BLK on my 300 Blackout SBR, so if I were looking for a scope for my .308, I would consider one of their units with the BDC for .308.  Either that, or something from the Leupold custom shop with a BDC set up for my favorite handload.  Right now it has one of Loopy Redfields in 3x9 which I am happy with.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

Wow! This is all really helpful Info guys (and ladies if applicable). My momma is an 80 something Missouri girl from the bootheel and can still knock the pecker off a fly @ 40 or 50 yards open sight so, no offense ladies. Many thanx to you folks indeed. Matty P. If I can ever help, just ask.

Consider the old Leopold 1x4x20 "dangerous game scope".  Older.  Kinda long.  Kinda big.  Very tough.  Excellent optics.  This scope despite the small aperture is very good at gathering low light.  Does have a kinda short focus distance from the eye to the scope.  Works for us.  Spendy at $400 bucks delivered from Optics Planet.

Standard duplex reticle.

Edited by HB of CJ

I'm pretty happy with the Nikon M300BLK on my 300 Blackout SBR, so if I were looking for a scope for my .308, I would consider one of their units with the BDC for .308.  Either that, or something from the Leupold custom shop with a BDC set up for my favorite handload.  Right now it has one of Loopy Redfields in 3x9 which I am happy with.

I've been wanting one of those for a while now.

Leatherwood/hilux

Glass is better than my burris. Around 156 on Amazon.

FWIW, the illumination has gone flaky on my new-ish CMR AK scope on my SBR, and I'm probably going to send it in for service at some point.

Fired this rifle again yesterday...  Scope had lost zero in a big way; it is hitting roughly a foot to the right of POA at 100 meters.  Looked it over very closely and couldn't find anything loose or anything wrong with the mounting.  I need to take it back to the range and double check the scope against the irons on paper (I had only brought steel yesterday) in order to isolate the problem to the scope for certain, but at this point I am fairly sure the Leatherwood scope is fubar.

I've been wanting one of those for a while now.

Eat your heart out:

m300rcpt.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...