Took an escape to Texas - had to leave everything that did not fit in a Pods and the Suburban pulling the Comanche on a rented trailer.

Cost me almost everything I had accumulated in a lifetime. Worth every bit!

exactly... we moved, and left most of the clutter behind.  so nice.  then we had to finish moving out of the old house and brought all the clutter over and it became just like old times... bah!

sorry bout your flood!

Meh life happens, the decluttering was kind of random though lol

Gather up all that good stuff and concentrate it under some sort of roof.  Rain proof if possible.  Keep all the junk or needful stuff away from the public portion of your castle.  Keep the up front stuff extremely biffy.  Let the junk in the back be out of site.  Worked for us.

I lived for a few years with all my earthly possessions either fitting into or on top of a wall locker.  In the years since I have accumulated like everybody but in the last few years I have decided that if I should up and drop dead, I am not going to leave my wife with all the shit -- and in the scheme of things all my earthly possessions are just that, just crap I've accumulated.

I'm like the opposite of a hoarder.... except for my bucket of screws, bolts, nails, nuts, washers... When that gets full I sort them out. No, not much for clutter.

Edited by YOT

I have bins that are labeled by category. That way I am not looking for some item for hours.

Scrap metal is scrap and goes in the scrap hopper.. If it can't be sorted it is most likely trash.

I am less afraid to throw things away, almost everything can be bought again. My space is worth something.

• Like 1

I second the moving thing. Just did it myself.

The wife and I made up a rule: If you haven't touched it in two years it's out of here.

For years, I told my wife that we would move with a 20 yard dumpster. We ended up needing to move and we got that dumpster. I invited people over to get what they wanted and threw most of the rest in the dumpster. I could have made quite a bit of extra money selling a lot of our stuff on craigslist and ebay, but the reality of it was that it would take up too much of my time. As a result, I did the actual move in a matter of hours while she was at work. It was refreshing. She wasn't happy about it, but recently thanked me for it. It was a reset of sorts. Now we have exactly what we need and very little more. We are not total minimalists, but close.

As far as scrap metal goes, do a realistic evaluation of what you might actually use and call the scrap guy to get the rest. I'm about to do that again at my shop. It adds up quickly, but scrap prices have made it so that I generate far more money staying at the shop than hauling a load of scrap steel. Scrap guy is always happy to hear from me.

• Like 1

Organization.
I just picked up three more standing shelving units for the garage.  Picked up plastic "shoe boxes" at the dollar store (great buy actually, grabbed 25 of them with lids).
Smaller parts are going in fishing tackle boxes with dividers.

I'm about to have another "Cry & Goodbye" session.  And yeah, there's going to be something I now need that I just threw out. 

To some extent, that's what donating to thrift stores is good for.  You might still be able to get that item back...for a price.

• Like 2

Yeah the declutter dilemma. Every time I do, never seems to fail I can use that little piece of scrap whatever I just threw away.

so what ive heard about/read in a declutter book, was that you only remember the times where you needed something, not the 1000s of times when you threw something out and never missed it.... negative vs positive reinforcement kinda??

Yeah the declutter dilemma. Every time I do, never seems to fail I can use that little piece of scrap whatever I just threw away.

so what ive heard about/read in a declutter book, was that you only remember the times where you needed something, not the 1000s of times when you threw something out and never missed it.... negative vs positive reinforcement kinda??

I can remember one time in the last few years that I actually regretted throwing something out and had to go buy another one, but can't remember what it was. The regret didn't last long because I try to focus on the fact that I save time not digging through a bunch of crap when I need to look for something. I get so much satisfaction from throwing things away that it is fairly easy for me to move on. My wife hates it. She is a clinger.

I can remember one time in the last few years that I actually regretted throwing something out and had to go buy another one, but can't remember what it was. The regret didn't last long because I try to focus on the fact that I save time not digging through a bunch of crap when I need to look for something. I get so much satisfaction from throwing things away that it is fairly easy for me to move on. My wife hates it. She is a clinger.

You know that's good advice right there. I spend too much time just looking for crap that I know that I have somewhere.

I really need to purge some stuff. I have odds and ends of assorted things that I have inherited from my dad. My issue is I see every piece of anything as something that can be fabricated into something else or as a solution to a problem that doesn't even exist yet.

I am making progress though I recently threw out a handful of 40 year old rusty nails.

• Like 1