So if you guys don't know there is a bill in congress to take silencers off the NFA. It's called the hearing protection act, it has basically been stalled because republicans knew they didn't have the votes to over turn the inevitable Obama veto. Now that we have a pro gun president

The chances this bill could become law are very good. There are currently 76 cosponsors on the bill. This is a call to action for everyone to call their representatives and ask them to both co sponsor and support the billif they won't cosponsor.

• Like 6

I'll be thrilled. At the rate I am selling cans I am about to have to buy yet another safe. It would be nice to have them flow in and out quickly and not have to store them for so long. I'd like to see prices stay the same and the discount can be seen by not paying the $200 tax.

I'll be thrilled. At the rate I am selling cans I am about to have to buy yet another safe. It would be nice to have them flow in and out quickly and not have to store them for so long. I'd like to see prices stay the same and the discount can be seen by not paying the $200 tax.

I think if the silencer manufactures didn't have to abide by all the extra rules and regulations the prices would go down substantially. There would also be a huge increse in demand. Prices wouldn't really affect me as if they were not nfa I'd just make them for myself.

• Like 1

If HPA becomes law, I think we can expect to see more cans at all price levels, period.  RIght now it only makes sense to buy uber-built cans due to the hassle and expense of the process; you want them to be a lifetime purchase, so you buy something overbuilt.  I don't think those cans will go away or sell in lesser numbers, but there will be a lot more cans sold at different price levels in addition to the current offerings.

• Like 1

A simple adapter to use an old Briggs 10HP muffler would be cheap, work OK (not perfect) and get most people accustomed to some level of suppression. The market for top of the line will only INCREASE as more people are IN the market!

• Like 1

Freeze plugs and maglight tube. Gives a can almost as good as one that costs hundreds, the quality can won't go away and I agree netpacker that cans of lower cost will become more and more popular, imagine all the small shops that would toolup just to meet demand. Lots of jobs to be created.

People who buy niteforce scopes and such will still buy quality products. People whose best optic is a Walmart special will try to make their own or buy junk. That's how it works in ALL retail fields, and this would be no different but the plus is they total suppressors sold would be huge in comparison so profit potential is awesome for dealers.

• Like 2

A good can shouldn't cost more than $200 without the government bullshit.

They make them a cheap item that is tossed rather than cleaned in Norway.

A mid performance can of steel or SS stampings could be made for $30 and perform within a few percent of the thousand dollar rigs. It wouldn't be as light as the ti cans.

Check out Rebel Silencers. First company to get serious about cutting the BS and making a simple thing that works with minimal mark up. Plain Steel 556 can for ~$200, with stackable sections. If you mess up a section, they can be replaced cheaply. Nearly impossible to damage the part that is the "firearm".

Their 300 BO model is mostly aluminum, so I know it won't handle constant mag dumps, and I would like an SS first baffle chamber, but I would still buy one. They have an ingenious idea. Rather than use fancy cerakote or whatever, they are painting them with standard industrial powder coat. The paint will discolor long before the temps which could accelerate wear. If it smells funny or turns colors, slow down. Pretty easy for me.

As soon as I can, I will have a can or three.

These things could be made sooooooooooooo cheaply. Think of how car mufflers are made. That's what the original maxim ones looked like. Stamped and spot welded steel would outlast most shooters by a wide margin. Simple stacked SS K baffles in a thin SS tube would last forever if you aren't trying to destroy it on purpose. Those things are all lathe makeable parts or castable, or can be stamped. High volume CNC production of a monocore or even a casting ruger style would work well too. Perhaps an inconnel first baffle for durability. A very good quality thing could be made for under a hundred. This market would change very fast with real competition for a wide consumer base putting pressure on it.

• Like 1

My fear if this is passed is from people who don't have a clue being hurt due to baffle strikes or over pressure issues on shoddy (home built) cans. Probably few and far between, but I'd hate to give the left an excuse to say "I told you so". Other than that it's a great thing and I hope they push it through.

• Like 1