Interesting read....and NO $200 stamp

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar139.htm

...and another, but it'll make your head hurt.

It's written in math geek.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2216334_Quantum_analysis_of_shot_noise_suppression_in_a_series_of_tunnel_barriers

Edited by patriot

When I was in Switzerland I admired the fact that every town had a shooting range and that in a time of peril, the locals could go down range and instantly have a defensive position with known distances they grew up shooting on.

Another cool thing was the cement and sonotube firing line. They had manufactured tubes that you would lay down next to in the prone position to fire long distance, your muzzle would be slightly inside the tube and the walls were lined with audio recording studio grade egg crate looking material. It was a high density foam a little more rugged than the stuff in studios. You could still hear your weapon but you walk away a few feet and it was pretty quiet. Even the 7.62 nato was significantly reduced. I guess if they didn't have them, the country would sound like a war zone every weekend.

• Like 5

Nice Stryker! That's what I was thinking pf when I saw the article. A piece of plastic culvert pipe lined with acoustic foam. THe egg crate foam is pretty cheap. It's used for packing stiff for shipment. We throw it out at work, but not in big enough sections to be worthwhile :(

• Like 2

When I was in Switzerland I admired the fact that every town had a shooting range and that in a time of peril, the locals could go down range and instantly have a defensive position with known distances they grew up shooting on.

Another cool thing was the cement and sonotube firing line. They had manufactured tubes that you would lay down next to in the prone position to fire long distance, your muzzle would be slightly inside the tube and the walls were lined with audio recording studio grade egg crate looking material. It was a high density foam a little more rugged than the stuff in studios. You could still hear your weapon but you walk away a few feet and it was pretty quiet. Even the 7.62 nato was significantly reduced. I guess if they didn't have them, the country would sound like a war zone every weekend.

I have a ton of respect for the system the Swiss developed over all the centuries of the federation. We should have taken more from them and less from other sources as their states are far more independent than our own. Out of all of Europe it is the only place I could even imagine visiting or living.

• Like 1

You need to lie in the snow and shoot my fifty sometime. It's no quieter, but it's a brand new blizzard!

we would take our bdu blouse and lay it in front of the muzzle to prevent that in the summer, in the winter we would lay out a white piece of canvas to lay on. Dust works both ways!

You need to lie in the snow and shoot my fifty sometime. It's no quieter, but it's a brand new blizzard!

we would take our bdu blouse and lay it in front of the muzzle to prevent that in the summer, in the winter we would lay out a white piece of canvas to lay on. Dust works both ways!

....and never, EVER shoot prone on gravel or other loose stones. You'll get PAINFULLY blasted with stones. It's not great for your scope objective either.

A cheap canvas tarp cures the problem, but gets shredded after a couple of trips.

Plus those little tunnels in the hillside with tanks in them or artillery turrets.