A popular[-ish] guntuber I watch often comes close to shaming people for buying online as opposed to at their local gun shop saying that any money saved online is really just ammo you don't need to buy and shoot and how local gun stores are the last place that will ever sell guns since online could get screwed up by executive orders and Gander Mountain/Cabela's/Dunham's will drop guns in a heartbeat if they become money sinks when they can make much more money off 300 dollar hiking boots.

Bud's has the shotgun I want for 289 and free shipping, my local place wants 389 to order it themselves. Part of me wants to shell out the extra money since they're my place I always go but realistically that 100 dollars is not a small amount and would do plenty of good to save for a rainy day or even some other gun-related thing like ammo.

Any thoughts one way or the other about saving money online as opposed to paying more at the shop?

• Like 1

I usually buy local because I prefer to see what I'm buying in person. That being said, if I come across a screamin deal online I'm on it.

I like to support my lgs, but I absolutely don't feel obligated to them.

It's your hard earned money, spend it how and where you wish.

I say save the money, order online. If you still feel bad write a check to the NRA or 2nd amendment foundation for the difference.

And to add I've ordered most of my new guns online. The price difference in more expensive guns is even greater. I Always ask my local store about the item before I order so if they can compete I'll buy local. But no shame if following the capitalist system.

Edited by Ak Monty
  • Like 1

I try to shop and buy local. Our local friendly mostly knowledgeable class 3 gun shop likes our business. Kinda like life boat rules. Stick together, stay together, survive together.

Are the online retailers that most often have a store front not "one of us" so to say?

• Like 1

I give my local the opportunity to price match if I find a price on something I want and they are over priced on the same exact item. I usually factor in what the shipping and transfer will run me. Normally, my local gets me pretty close and I buy from him. When he can't he is happy to do the transfer so he still makes something.

• Like 2

Ak Monty;  kinda.  We all live in a small nearly perfect, (well sorta) mountain valley town in SW OR with all the advantages and disadvantages such implies.  Lots of man cave gun shops have come and gone; as a result the local gang tries to shop and buy local if possible.

The next big town is Grants Pass with at least a 60 minute commute time from where we live.  To the big Medford Oregon mall is an additional 20 minutes.  Some highway employed is the most dangerous in Oregon:  Highway 199.  Sossss, we try to stay local and shop here.

I don't sell guns on a regular basis because I cannot get pricing that will reflect a profit for me and a competitive deal for the customer. Service is far more profitable than retail. If I were going to buy something it was almost always online.

I really don't have a good LGS any longer. There are a few, but it seems the that they are owned and/or ran by know-it-all pricks that I don't care to spend my time or money with. The closest one is run by a drunk that forgets the price he quoted when the gun comes in. I've even seen him change his transfer fee for different people. Their ammo prices are usually unusually inflated to the point where I'll buy on-line or in box stores.

The one decent LGS isn't exactly local at 1 1/2 hours away. That's where I get my powder and primers, because he always has them in stock, but bullets are ALWAYS cheaper online even factoring in the shipping. 

• Like 1

Ak Monty; kinda. We all live in a small nearly perfect, (well sorta) mountain valley town in SW OR with all the advantages and disadvantages such implies. Lots of man cave gun shops have come and gone; as a result the local gang tries to shop and buy local if possible.

The next big town is Grants Pass with at least a 60 minute commute time from where we live. To the big Medford Oregon mall is an additional 20 minutes. Some highway employed is the most dangerous in Oregon: Highway 199. Sossss, we try to stay local and shop here.

I didn't consider all of that. But as was said you still pay them to transfer. And I know my local gun store makes about the same off new guns as a transfer. They are pretty high volume those. I've never been out west and I guess the sparse population I'm not used to.

Inside a 30 miles radius from my home their are proably 3 dozen gun dealers.