freakin sparkly $h*t for christmas? earrings specifically

ok, buddies wife works at helzberg.  half carat earrings with a total weight of 1 comes out to 1699 before tax but includes xbox one i can pimp on craigslist to make it cheaper.  princess cut.   good price? bad price?  any thoughts?

and how do you all reconcile spedning stoopid amounts of moolah on fake economy sparkly crap?

Luckily the wife would think that's stuid money for ear rings. Honestly I'm of no help but that sounds about right for that much stone.

And before I spend that much on something I always consider what I could sell it for. That's what's so great about guns. You almost always getwhat you paid back of you sell. Barring market changes.

• Like 2

Unless those are absolute top quality (and that is not something Helzberg is known for) or have a fairly high gold content, that sounds expensive. I would start by looking at what Costco or Sam's Club has in-stock. From my experience, their prices seem to be about half what most pure-play jewelry stores sell for.

As what has already been mentioned, Clarity/Cut/Color are the biggest influencers on price given a specific size. Just realize that not all diamond grading companies grade the same. GIA certs tend to be the most accurate. It is not uncommon to see an IGI/EGL cert that grades the same stone 1-2 levels higher than GIA. This results in you paying 20%-50% more than you should for consistent quality.

When at all possible, take the diamond outside to see what it looks like in the sun. Lots of diamonds fluoresce in daylight so look totally different when not under the very specific lights used in jewelry stores. Sometimes this is a good thing (more sparkle) and other times bad (the diamond shows more yellow under the sum).

You could save a ton of money buying on Craigslist or from a Pawn Shop but I would not recommend since way too easy to get screwed. There are a bunch of man-made simulants (CZ, etc.) that are actually more sparkly than diamonds that can easily trick the casual observer. I am an expert in precious and semi-precious minerals but even I won't trust my own eyes. I have a bunch of expensive equipment for testing gems but even those can be fooled.  

• Like 1

i know i feel you folks with wasting money but she does care about keeping up with the jones....im trying to talk her out of it, but you know....and maybe she didnt really want 1699 "worht" of earrings, but i dont want her to call me cheap (like she knows i am).

now, the earrings are round, not square... that matters ya?

I am an expert in precious and semi-precious minerals

glad your user name reflects your interests!!! makes it easier to believe you!

Edited by saltydecimator

Putting on my jewelers hat for a moment, and speaking as a long time husband with some experience in this area - I have a couple of thoughts. 1) When a woman has her heart set on a piece of jewelry, its like you or I wanting a particular gun. Let her have what she wants, and when that next must have gun comes along, you'll be much less likely to have to spend the next week or month the dog house. The second thought is (sorry I have to disagree with you Dave), 2) If she wants a diamond, and you buy her an appliance instead - even if she says she likes the washer or whatever, its still a black mark -until she gets that thing her heart is set on. If she has to buy it herself - you still dug yourself a hole, and it will cost you twice as much to dig your way out.

The other thing is, if Helzberg has it for 1699, you'll probably be able to find it online for less. Let her search with you, so you're both hunting the best deals. If she likes something less expensive even better - its a win/win for both of you.

Good luck Salty!

Mike

• Like 2

Will be celebrating our 30th anniversary next year and Mike is absolutely right.

I hope you all know that my comment above was a healthy dose of male chauvinistic sarcasm.

Good luck with your purchase, A good wife is a blessing and if that is what makes her happy so be it.

• Like 1

Will be celebrating our 30th anniversary next year and Mike is absolutely right.

I hope you all know that my comment above was a healthy dose of male chauvinistic sarcasm.

Good luck with your purchase, A good wife is a blessing and if that is what makes her happy so be it.

Never doubted your well earned wisdom for a moment, brother.  Congrats to you and the Mrs. on 29 going on 30 years together Dave!

• Like 1

Go to a local jewelry store and get it.

This is half of the worth. She will have the warranty and quality papers.

She will also know you value her as one who gets the best because she is worth it.

I have always done this and even though it's a little extra money , it has never failed to make my girl happy.

I do this every year before vacation and you cannot put a price on the look she always has on her face.

Go local and do not skimp.

Good bling for the wife is always the best choice (always) 43 year of marriage will testify to that

Good luck sounds like you have a special lady.

Putting on my jewelers hat for a moment, and speaking as a long time husband with some experience in this area - I have a couple of thoughts. 1) When a woman has her heart set on a piece of jewelry, its like you or I wanting a particular gun. Let her have what she wants, and when that next must have gun comes along, you'll be much less likely to have to spend the next week or month the dog house. The second thought is (sorry I have to disagree with you Dave), 2) If she wants a diamond, and you buy her an appliance instead - even if she says she likes the washer or whatever, its still a black mark -until she gets that thing her heart is set on. If she has to buy it herself - you still dug yourself a hole, and it will cost you twice as much to dig your way out.

The other thing is, if Helzberg has it for 1699, you'll probably be able to find it online for less. Let her search with you, so you're both hunting the best deals. If she likes something less expensive even better - its a win/win for both of you.

Good luck Salty!

Mike

I appreciate all the good advice in here from everyone, mainly needed that affirmation from like minded folks to "blow" money... I put it on a zero percent card, but in the future when its "my money" I'm gonna have to be more thrifty...

Heres a pic in the light of the ones I chose. Real nice white, and the chicks at store suggested the princess as they look bigger. I said earlier I wanted round but didn't know what i was talking about...

IMG_20161205_075717_zps7sfakhzh.jpg

IMG_20161205_111229_zpsbdyj3tnp.jpg

IMG_20161205_11122901_zpsbhz65ogn.jpg

Good luck Salty!

Mike

I appreciate all the good advice in here from everyone, mainly needed that affirmation from like minded folks to "blow" money... I put it on a zero percent card, but in the future when its "my money" I'm gonna have to be more thrifty...

Heres a pic in the light of the ones I chose. Real nice white, and the chicks at store suggested the princess as they look bigger. I said earlier I wanted round but didn't know what i was talking about...

IMG_20161205_075717_zps7sfakhzh.jpg

IMG_20161205_111229_zpsbdyj3tnp.jpg

IMG_20161205_11122901_zpsbhz65ogn.jpg

You could have bought cubic zirconia. The only way she'd have known the difference is to have a jeweler check them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-Solid-White-Gold-Princess-Square-CZ-Stud-Earrings-Basket-Setting-sizes2-10mm-/131932644377?var=431275791861&hash=item1eb7cc6419:m:myy0aEN_wo2gguwhgjDQA8g

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by patriot

Haha ya heard that! I think shed chop my balls off in my sleep if I sold her some fake stuff as real and she told people it was real...

I bought em cause they hadba comparable price to an old pair I bought her, so figured I was getting hosed just as bad as the past...

And she knows how "cheap" I am and it chaps her, so if I cheaped out on the stud's shed be doubly po'd...

Good advice in here, thanks folks