Buying, Selling, or Holding out for Lower Prices?

What are you all doing with the new hopeful climate for firearms? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Personally, I am holding on to my gun fund money for the promised land of an over saturated supply, cheaper gun market, (especially ARs), renewed imports, and hopeful repeal of many draconian firearm regulations.

The Lord knows I have misread enough future events and markets in my life, but I see $400 ARs and $300 AKs in the next 18 - 24 mths. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the market.

Things will definitely soften and if you do not have what you need or want, a few months from now would probably be perfect. Don't wait until the economy gets better though as demand will rise because people can actually afford things again and prices will follow. I have gone to a needs only mindset and I have what I need, so no new purchases for me. Maybe an improvement piece here and there, but I haven't seen anything lately that I just can't live without. Needs....

I have been in a holding pattern for a while now on both firearms and ammo. I even let a nicely converted Saiga x39 and a custom built AR go recently to help fund a septic system out at the property, and pick up a bolt gun that I have had my eye on for sometime.

Hoping some new stuff will hit our shores soon, there is just not much out there right now that really excites me.

• Like 2

I see lots of affordable ammo and guns in the near future.

I hit my limit on gun and ammo purchases before the panic.

How many cans of 5.45 or 7.62 can one man carry?

+1 and how mad will you be if you have to leave a lot of stuff behind? That's how I see it.

• Like 1

Currently I have one or two things on the "soon" list, besides lots of reloading supplies. Probably gonna sell a couple seldom used guns to fund it.

That's where I'm at right now, too. Decided to thin out the collection a bit, but I have plenty of options.

• Like 1

Stranger things have happened.  Supply and demand?  What might happen now that the heat is off demand may again skyrocket?  Folks now thinking guns they wanted, but were afraid might be outlawed, might be available, so why not buy now?  Reduced pricing might be the deal maker?  Reverse thinking?

• Like 1

I see the opposite. Less demand because there is no "this may be my last chance to get this before its banned" mentality. My hope is that new imports, off the shelf supressors, and a small business culture where there is not the threat of your capital investment going up in flames just because politicians want to ban a product you make or support.

In short, I guess I am hoping that the firearms market is going to have to be driven by the excitement of new products / innovation as opposed to fear. That is going to be a win for all us, and that is what I hope I am saving up for.

• Like 1

At this point I feel no sense of urgency.  I'm in a hold state except for completing an ongoing project and taking advantage of "too good to pass up" deals like the 22lr I just posted. 

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3

I'm in ammo and upgrades mode. Going to give firearm purchases a break for a bit and see what these next four years do for the gun market.
For now I will just keep stock piling ammo and replacing what's low. As well as upgrading a few triggers/scopes and maybe finally get around to sbr'ing one of my "pistols".  

If the Saiga ban gets lifted you better believe I'm going to pick up a Saiga 9 though

• Like 1

The only thing I am eyeing will be a pistol for the wife, once she finally makes it to the new shop that does rentals and tries out a double stack compact. The single stacks like the shield she doesn't like due to the snappyness, she liked my old pistol which was a full size p95, so I hope she can find a nice compact like the fn 9s or even a xd mod 2, or worst case a m&p.

• Like 1

Stranger things have happened.  Supply and demand?  What might happen now that the heat is off demand may again skyrocket?  Folks now thinking guns they wanted, but were afraid might be outlawed, might be available, so why not buy now?  Reduced pricing might be the deal maker?  Reverse thinking?

1+ when the economy was good things were not selling like crazy, but there seemed to be a balanced flow of production and consumption, unlike right now when the market is saturated and few have the money to buy much. Jobs, jobs, jobs....

From my end of things, I have seen little change other than an increase in the last few weeks of workload reservations for SBS work. Maybe NFA is not so scary now. I'm good for a while and thankful for it.

• Like 2

The only thing I am eyeing will be a pistol for the wife, once she finally makes it to the new shop that does rentals and tries out a double stack compact. The single stacks like the shield she doesn't like due to the snappyness, she liked my old pistol which was a full size p95, so I hope she can find a nice compact like the fn 9s or even a xd mod 2, or worst case a m&p.

Have her try a Glock 42, .380. My mother just bought one and likes it. They make a good variety of defensive ammo for it now, too, although some folks just use FMJ in the winter when people might have heavy coats on.

Have her try a Glock 42, .380. My mother just bought one and likes it. They make a good variety of defensive ammo for it now, too, although some folks just use FMJ in the winter when people might have heavy coats on.

Maybe just maybe the import ban will be lifted and we'll be able to get the double stack .380 glock makes and sells like crazy in south America. Maybe

I bought some things over the summer, thinking Hillary was going win. My guess is that $600 WASR that I bought in July will be worth about $400 in a year or so. Oh well, no worries here. 

I do want a Glock 30SF. Just hard to find them in stock at the LGS we all use. 

Still need Federal 525 packs of 22LR to get back to $15.

Really hoping the ban is lifted and Saigas can be imported once again. I miss the conversion process and the picking out what to use and how to dress it. If they ever get back to sub $400, I will buy several in X39, and one or two in 5.45.

For us reloaders, powder will be easy to get, although that has been getting better for a while. 

The last 8 years have completely sucked for gun folks. I think better times are ahead, but I will not make the mistake of failing to take advantage of those better times, because we are just one presidential election away from it all going south again.

• Like 1

Local or regional situation out here in SW Oregon.  With legalized pot, lots and lots of money is being pumped into our local sagging economy and most of it is good.  Our local friendly gun shop has seen quite an increase in black rifle sales, ammo and related items.

Some suitable real estate prices have soared.  Spin off industry related stuff has also taken off.  New business opportunities have started.  Again, most of it good.  Some not so good.  We still have near zero law enforcement in South Josephine County Oregon. 

We do have a little bit of way after-the-fact support structure like, if you are lucky, report taking.  Most of the time not even that.  Even shots fired sometimes takes one hour.  Shots fired with dead bodies sometimes takes one hour also.  This is our reality.  Dodge City.

Edited by HB of CJ

I am hoping for unneutered Saigas!

One I was thinking of today, and could have been done for a while is square back VEPRs. Why has Molot not made/imported thousands upon thousands of those while Saigas are under EO ban? If those were on the market today, I would be parting with some of my cash.

One I was thinking of today, and could have been done for a while is square back VEPRs. Why has Molot not made/imported thousands upon thousands of those while Saigas are under EO ban? If those were on the market today, I would be parting with some of my cash.
There are solutions to the square back delimea

Right now I'm in a holding pattern... But.

I'd like to make a substantial buy of ammo, a thousand rounds each of match grade rifle in .308 and 5.56, and some deep stocks of various FMJ pistol for practice/plinking.

I'd also like to reignite my desire to get into loading my own, but only if I can go whole hog from the git-go.

I want to reload for .308 & .556 in rifles and pistols in .380acp, 9mm, .38spc/.357mag and .45acp.

But by the time I set up presses for both rifle/pistol, and then purchase a stock of consumables, I'm looking at 2K-2.5K.

As far as firearms, my short list is:

(1) a National Match grade service rifle in 5.56, probably a White Oak Armament build

(2) two custom built 10/22's for my youngest son and I

(3) Savage Model 24, .22mag/.20g, w/ case hardened receiver

(4) a 9mm carbine or SBR of some type, eyes on Sig MPX, CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1, Beretta Cx4 or even an old classic Marlin Camp 9

(5) another AR15 build to give to my youngest son

(6) Mossberg 590a1 SPX 9 shot w/ bayonet

• Like 2

There are solutions to the square back delimea

True, just not clean enough for my tastes.

I found some 10mm ammo left over from when I had a Colt Delta gold Cup that I didn't realize I had. I'd like to have a G20, but won't have money for anything fun for a while. I've been in serious-mode for a few years now.

Prices are falling fast.  Don't know what the bottom will look like.  WASRs are back under $600 in some places.  But if in the market for a WASR it's probably best to act soon.  Rob Ski mentioned that CUGIR is not building any for a while.

Gun show was pretty normal in number of people. 22lr still around 12 cents a round for cci minimag and 7 cents for federal automatch. Anderson stripped lowers were back to $59. Pmags at $13 and gi mags at $9. Lots of interest in the guns I took (Ruger SR9 and Mossberg 590) but everybody was cheap mofos and didn't sell either (a vendor said I did price them fairly).

Yikes!  Just completely finished all the $Christmas Shopping$.  The game plan was to pay off the credit card debt over about 6 months paying a little interest thus possibly slightly raising my already high credit rating.

But ... considering how much I spent on others, now selling off some various gun related things at a great loss may be indicated to pay off all those credit card purchases.  Too much credit card debt.  Sounds good to me.

Buy high, sell low.  Make it up via volume.  :)

• Like 1