Let's see your pistol caliber carbines....

Capt Nemo, on 28 Jan 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

It folds up underneath.  To deploy, you wack the stock downward, then yank it straight back.  It's the fastest deploy of any folder.

Bought her with my AIT paychecks at Ft. Rucker.  She was about $700 back then.

Nice. Figured it folded, it looked like it had hinges. Cool piece.

Hello

I have a Berretta Storm .45 acp with all of the Papa Sierra aftermarket stuff installed.

Fun gun, and kicks like a miniature mule with hot handloads ran through it.

Hardly picture-worthy, though...

-Guido in TX

I tried to talk my uncle into a 9mm carbine for his bristol bay boat gun for years. Apparently he listened and bought an AR survival gun. Build quality was solid. Gun is heavy for what it is, but points nicely. Trigger didn't interfere with shooting it. Easy to make quick hits with.

His was pretty much as abused as possible, having spent a summer or two in salt water spray and then chucked in an outdoor toolbox for about a year. It had a fair amount of rust and hadn't been cleaned. My  cousin and I cleaned it up short of a full field strip and ran it "wet". It shot pretty well and had a couple misfeeds. (My cousin cleared those before I got to see what type.) The recoil impulse is kinda squishy and delayed. Very unique. I did not like the barrel attachment system. There's no positive index on the collar that hand torques the removable barrel down. Very easy for it to vibrate loose in a vehicle or while shooting. I would definitely make some kind of spring detente to ratchet it home if I owned the gun.

I still have my original style Hi point 995 and it still looks ugly and works flawlessly. Now there are 25 round stick mags available that people say are actually reliable. Might have to get a couple of those ugly things.

I like the concept but the execution always annoys me... Had a hi point, really not bad other than small mags and being magnesium or whatever pot metal. Had a tnw asr... That was kinds cool but someone had bubba'd it before I got to it... And both sides of the action were open so obnoxiously loud to ear when suppressed.

I'm thinking on trying keltec with the sig/smith/Beretta mag catches, and trying to modify to run my cz75 mags. Real similar body

I want a cz, but they too expensive for what you are getting, demands so high keeping prices up...

I'm thinking on trying keltec with the sig/smith/Beretta mag catches, and trying to modify to run my cz75 mags. Real similar body

A few words of advice: Stay away from the Sub2000 Gen 1's. They're pretty crappy. Way worse than Hi-points. 

I tried to talk my uncle into a 9mm carbine for his bristol bay boat gun for years. Apparently he listened and bought an AR survival gun. Build quality was solid. Gun is heavy for what it is, but points nicely. Trigger didn't interfere with shooting it. Easy to make quick hits with.

His was pretty much as abused as possible, having spent a summer or two in salt water spray and then chucked in an outdoor toolbox for about a year. It had a fair amount of rust and hadn't been cleaned. My  cousin and I cleaned it up short of a full field strip and ran it "wet". It shot pretty well and had a couple misfeeds. (My cousin cleared those before I got to see what type.) The recoil impulse is kinda squishy and delayed. Very unique. I did not like the barrel attachment system. There's no positive index on the collar that hand torques the removable barrel down. Very easy for it to vibrate loose in a vehicle or while shooting. I would definitely make some kind of spring detente to ratchet it home if I owned the gun.

I still have my original style Hi point 995 and it still looks ugly and works flawlessly. Now there are 25 round stick mags available that people say are actually reliable. Might have to get a couple of those ugly things.

I have got one of those for exactly that purpose, got a lead on those mags?

Last 25rder I tried was garbage but that was years ago.

Also a HP 9mm pistol for the car, though I like it less than the rifle.

I have to stay on the rifle now due to being covered in the flood, rust is going to be an ongoing issue I fear.

I have to stay on the rifle now due to being covered in the flood, rust is going to be an ongoing issue I fear.

The manufacturer is "RedBall." They look exactly as goofy as the hi-point itself. They are for the TS model (the springer stock version with the last round bolt hold open), and I have no info on whether they work well with the older versions like mine. I imagine I could fabri-cobble a tweak if needed.

Right now Natchezsszssz seems to be the online place, but I have actually seen them at LGSs for $20. IMO it would be worth $20 for me to get a couple and give this gun proper capacity.

This video has them running well in an old style 995 with a funky trigger and machined bolt knob.

Natchezss says they are for either gun.

• Like 1

The manufacturer is "RedBall." They look exactly as goofy as the hi-point itself. They are for the TS model (the springer stock version with the last round bolt hold open), and I have no info on whether they work well with the older versions like mine. I imagine I could fabri-cobble a tweak if needed.

Right now Natchezsszssz seems to be the online place, but I have actually seen them at LGSs for $20. IMO it would be worth $20 for me to get a couple and give this gun proper capacity.

This video has them running well in an old style 995 with a funky trigger and machined bolt knob.

Natchezss says they are for either gun.

Redball?

Sounds like something Gaddis went to the doctor for.....

Cool vid though

• 2 weeks later...

I could kick myself for not gitting one of those Auto Ordinance tommy guns when they were $220.

It's very accurate, but a heavy fucker. The drum is fun. H E A V Y, and a PITA to install. You can forget a rapid mag change on a Thompson, even with stick mags. Slow as molasses. This is where the Uzi shines. Mag changes are a breeze and quick! The Thompson stock is nice, but the folding stock on the Uzi is lousy for getting a good cheek weld. That's the only thing I'm not crazy about on the Uzi. Well....that and the lack of a happy switch.

Choosing between the two? Uzi hands down. Lighter, easier to use, faster mag changes. Accuracy is a tossup. Now if we can just get them to abolish the NFA and I'll add a grease gun to the stable. I've always loved them.

Edited by patriot

I was thinking more about the investment possibility over the function.  Just saw one at Cabela's for $2600.

Only other thing is that UZI stock is COLD during deer season!  I've bagged 2 with it.  But my Mini 14 is by far my favorite for hunting. 

I know it's mostly about shot placement, but I don't think I'd ever try to take a deer with my 9mm Storm carbine.

My sister did take one with an M1 Carbine, but I think that has more energy than a 9mm. Not positive, though, come to think of it...

I'd definitely try my M92 .44 special or magnum, if I ever get to go out for deer again.

• Like 1

9mm is fine out to 50 yards or so.  124 gr JHP's out of a 5" barrel (M11/9) have enough power to punch clean through a WI whitetail, unless you hit a leg bone, then it will shatter it and bounce.  The 16" barrel will give better results.  I normally use 9mm when I can't see more than 50 yards in the woods.  No need to have something that will launch one into the next county.

Good bait is a pouch of Red Man sprinkled on the ground.  Deer love it!  Game wardens can't find it!  And if they do see you spreading it, you're giving an offering to the indian hunting gods.

• Like 2

:up:  When I was growing up in PA, the deer were in fairly heavy woods, plus the terrain didn't allow for many shots over 100 yds. at best, usually. We weren't allowed to bait them, though. No semi-auto's, either. (Dad removed the gas piston from my sister's M1 Carbine.)

I had a .243, and Dad used a .308, both fairly short-barreled bolt-actions. Good for carrying through the woods.  :)

• 2 months later...

Finished the 9mm carbine to 100%.

Added Magpul MBUS Pro sights and added a small 3 slot Picatinny rail section to the handguard for a Streamlight TLR1-HL. Also changed the Aimpoint PRO mount to a much nicer (in my opinion) Midwest Industries absolute co-witness mount.

The TLR1-HL is BRIGHT!

With an empty 32rd steel PSA magazine, it weighs 7.93lbs (just shy of 8lbs). It's a heavy little fucker.

Couple pics....

5ouyyd.jpg

10fdkis.jpg

Edited by Mullet Man

9mm is fine out to 50 yards or so.  124 gr JHP's out of a 5" barrel (M11/9) have enough power to punch clean through a WI whitetail, unless you hit a leg bone, then it will shatter it and bounce.  The 16" barrel will give better results.  I normally use 9mm when I can't see more than 50 yards in the woods.  No need to have something that will launch one into the next county.

Good bait is a pouch of Red Man sprinkled on the ground.  Deer love it!  Game wardens can't find it!  And if they do see you spreading it, you're giving an offering to the indian hunting gods.

This is different, is it the smell that attracts them?

IMG_20170225_162618923_zps1axsjfjc.jpg

IMG_20170225_162641108_zpsjv8ycfzn.jpg

Hello, Chile

How do you rate the Papa Sierra mod's?

Kind of an astonishing amount of plastic innards on those nimble little carbines, no?

-Guido in TX

• Like 1

How do you rate the Papa Sierra mod's?

Kind of an astonishing amount of plastic innards on those nimble little carbines, no?

-Guido in TX

Well I can't really say as I haven't had it to the range since having the Sierra Papa mods done.

Dry firing feel is greatly improved, much lighter pull, it isn't exactly a crisp snappy break, but some snap whereas it was gritty mush before.

I think it was money well spent.

It is a VERY nice handling and quick pointing carbine, a pure hoot to shoot.

Edited by ChileRelleno