I have a guy who wanted to sell me his Saiga 12 fully converted. I checked it out, parts count appears correct. The barrel has been cut down and pinned/welded with an OAL is 18.5. This guy had put a magwell on and removed it. I was contemplating buying it, I told him I would want to weld the holes from the magwell. He took it to a gunsmith who told him he couldn't touch it without a letter from the ATF.. I'm no lawyer but I thought pinning and welding was lawful. I read somewhere that you couldn't remove the barrel from the receiver if cut down.

Can someone make sense of this? If you know of any ATF links. I have done a ton of reading and I'm still confused. Thanks guys.

So long as the barrel is pinned/welded at 18.5" measured from the inside on a closed bolt, and is 26" + overall, then it's no different than any other title 1 firearm. I don't see why the gunsmith would need a letter from the ATF to weld up some holes from a magwell. 

Take it to a machine shop. Unless the muzzle attachment isn't actually welded on. That may have been his problem. Or he didn't understand that the overall length is legal. Easiest way to measure is drop a wooden dowel don't the barrelon a closed bolt. Then mark and measure the dowel.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...