Anyone have any experience with the DDI 12ga. It looks pretty awesome. Takes saiga mags and ar15 butt stocks.

I searched but came up empty.

I like the looks and the price. And the fact it takes saiga mags.also had left side charging handle. If it's reliable I'm thinking about picking one up soon.

I'd recommend a Vepr at this point. To many questions aren't answered yet about the DDI-12 but DDI is a good company that seems to make things right. Not worth the chance when Veprs are available.

I've had a vepr, I liked it. Loved the folding stock. But I sold it in the panic. Made almost double on it. But I really like the looks of the DDI and the rock in mags. In fact I think I like the looks of the DDI over most saigas I've seen. I could always get a saiga and make look the way of want but itd cost double what the factory DDI is.

And what parts are cast? Like gas blocks or other parts. I'm not totally against Chinese guns. Had a couple Chinese sks and they were good guns.

That would be the most accurate question.  Which parts are cast?  Barrel is easy to tell.  Gas block and trunnion forged?  No big deal, rear trunnion cast, no sweat.  Piston, puck, gas regulator bcg cast?  I'm getting worried.  If it takes abuse and it's cast, it's an issue.

Assuming the castings are minimal stress and impact items, the one knock I have on them is that they have no side rail.  I know guys want to slap optics on their S12s and VEPR 12 gauges so why would you omit that?  Yeah you might have to charge a little more but not that much more for a quality rail that is made to receive standard AK optics mounts readily available.

(Edit)  Thanks for pointing that out csspecs.  Yeah that's a problem.

Edited by ShadowFire

That would be the most accurate question. Which parts are cast? Barrel is easy to tell. Gas block and trunnion forged? No big deal, rear trunnion cast, no sweat. Piston, puck, gas regulator bcg cast? I'm getting worried. If it takes abuse and it's cast, it's an issue.

Assuming the castings are minimal stress and impact items, the one knock I have on them is that they have no side rail. I know guys want to slap optics on their S12s and VEPR 12 gauges so why would you omit that? Yeah you might have to charge a little more but not that much more for a quality rail that is made to receive standard AK optics mounts readily available.

(Edit) Thanks for pointing that out csspecs. Yeah that's a problem.

They omit the side proably cause it's left side charging.

Maybe we can get some saigas imported again. Id like a saiga 12 with the magpul so folding stock.

And some parts being fast I can live with. But the bolt isntvreally one of them. I guess I'll be looking for something different.

• Like 1

That's right, forgot about that.

Well you could remove the charging handle/bolt carrier, use a standard AK bolt carrier and a standard AK top cover, reuse the spring guide and spring as well as the bolt.  But you'd be spending more money to make it even more of an S-12 clone.

However like others have said, cast trunnion.  Not good.  Buy VEPR, remove magwell, have Evl mod it for S12 mags.  Easier, cheaper in the long haul and higher quality.

Trump/Congress allowing spare factory Saiga parts would be nice also. If the factory would do such.

Letting in the whole guns of be happy. And at the orginal import prices.

I remember as a child I got ahold of a dealer's distributors catalog and the hold all the saigas for less than 300 bucks. Even the 3006.