jet "variable speed drill press" vertical adjuster in-op?

have access to a drill press, will go 250-2500 rpms, wanted to mill some 80% lowers etc, but the up anddown adjuster is inoperative.... anyone have experience re-timing them?

the specific model in quiestion is a "jdp-20evs/460". 

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jdp-20evs-460-20-electronic-variable-speed-drill-press-460v-3ph/354212

http://images.jettools.com/image/354212_main?hei=784&wid=900

now, the one i have access to has a regular chuck on it already....

Edited by saltydecimator

Can't help with the adjuster, unless I could see it in person. However even if you do not have 3 phase power, an "emulator" can convert 2 phase to 3 phase - basically 2 banks of capacators to reflect the third phase.

• Like 1
saltydecimator, on 25 Dec 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:saltydecimator, on 25 Dec 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

maybe.  its running already, so unsure of 3 phase... but no, not presently.  gonna move within 1 year, if you are suggesting just buyin a mill.  this drill press is just free, and unmonitored during the christmas holiday

Wasn't suggesting that, just saying that model requires 3 phase 480v power. Most residential garages and shops only have single phase power (fed off of one transformer), which you are able to get 120/240v from. Getting true 3 phase power requires a bank of transformers at the pole, or a 3 phase underground transformer and a complete service upgrade from the transformer(s) to the building and then upgrade from fuse panel to the machine. $$$$$

I'm not familiar with the emulators, altho I have heard of them. Are you able to get a simulated third phase from a 2 wire, 240v setup? Then on top of that, are they able to provide the required ~480v?

Edited by Mullet Man

Can't help with the adjuster, unless I could see it in person. However even if you do not have 3 phase power, an "emulator" can convert 2 phase to 3 phase - basically 2 banks of capacators to reflect the third phase.

I learned something about how that 3rd phase actually works with a converter. Thank you!

The unit uses electronics to change its speed.. So if it is not working odds are that component is damaged.

+1 Probably not too expensive or all that hard to swap out either.

I figured I'd comment while I am in my corner for a bit (family huh)..

I opened the manual before I was going to say anything more.. Just for reference the tool appears to use a vector drive for speed control. Basically a VFD with a few extras. The 230v model CAN run on single phase, because it is a vector drive and is actually converting the power as part of its normal operation. My Haas mill does the same thing. If I am understanding correctly it is not speeding up or slowing down, that would likely be the control board or the input device, either way not terribly easy to figure out. It could be someone hook the supply power up wrong.

Just for reference, you CAN run 208v-230v 3 phase equipment on single phase 220v.
Rotary phase converters are the best method. You can get them pre built or make one yourself, or get a panel and a 3 phase motor to use as an idler. 3 phase motors can generate power if rotated their rated speed.
Static phase converters reduce total machine HP by up to 1/2, and they make the motors run hot and burn up faster.. However they are cheaper and in the right application are perfectly fine, like if you are using a bridgeport mill mostly as a drill press with small to medium sized holes.

I had a rotary phase converter that would power a 10 hp motor that was running a hydraulic vane pump, it had a 15 hp idler under a bench that generated roughly 7/8 of the power of true 3 phase.. I know a few old guys that swear by the method of connecting a flywheel to the idler to smooth out the power, but I have not bother with it and have had no problems with it.

Mostly I prefer to swap motors vs. using converters on anything I run a lot, because converters use more power and you do have to let them run for a few seconds before starting the tool.  Ideally I would pay a little more for a single phase tool just for ease of use, but I have a bridgeport mill and they are not easy to swap as they use a special motor that is short and fat. So the converter is cheaper.

I knew a guy that claimed to run an odd machine on 480v using a 20hp 220v motor to rotate a 15hp 480v motor to run a 5hp 480v machine.. It was a strange work around but the machine apparently used a very odd shaped motor that could not be swapped out for anything else.

How to build a phase converter.
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projects/phconv/phconv.html

Pre-build panel, just add idler motor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HP-ROTARY-PHASE-CONVERTER-CONTROL-PANEL-make-your-own-true-3-phase-power-/300553550607?hash=item45fa633b0f:m:mcHf55KMtXELQ4dHcKMs5wA

Edited by csspecs

Check the pinion gear shear pin. If the handle and shaft through the gear is turning but the pinion gear is not its probably the shear pin that connects the pinion gear to the shaft.

Phase converter is the way to go, you can make one from any three phase motor equal or greater HP than what you want to run off it. Lots of info on the web for how to.

http://www.phoenixphaseconverters.com/rotary-phase-converters/25-3-hp-rotary-phase-converter-cnc-rated-precision-balanced-voltage-tefc.html

drill press isn't the best way to machine parts. Drill holes yes, turn the drill chuck by hand to tap holes yes. Use an endmill in a drill chuck to try and machine aluminum, guarantee you will not be happy when stuff goes very wrong....Just my 42 years of machining opinions....

drill press isn't the best way to machine parts. Drill holes yes, turn the drill chuck by hand to tap holes yes. Use an endmill in a drill chuck to try and machine aluminum, guarantee you will not be happy when stuff goes very wrong....Just my 42 years of machining opinions....

What he said.

You'll pretty much be stuck doing a bunch of plunge cuts. Drill chucks aren't made for side-loads.