Nothing good could come from it?  Half brothers and sisters I never knew I had?  Or "Hi Dad".  Oh shit.  Had an ex lady friend that had it done and discovered another half brother.  Poor guy.  Sometimes it is best just not knowing ... or in my case really not caring?  Dunno.  Difficult question.  Happy New Year!  :)

Whole family did it.  Really didn't discover anything we didn't know except for my mom.  She and her brothers turned out to be of the J haplogroup.  The rest of us are all R1B1a2.  Being that we all came from Spain, the J isn't really that much of a surprise either.  

Pretty much anyone who has joined the military in the last 25+ years has their dna on file -- remember that swab on the inside of the cheek???  That was to make sure that if there were not chunks large enough left that they could still I.D. and bury your patriotic ass.

So sorry Patriot, Uncle didn't need a court order...

I can't bring myself to do it. I am probably being paranoid, but I will not voluntarily put my DNA in a database regardless of the reason. I understand the excitement of those who do to try to somehow connect to their roots. But for me that does not matter as much, I am an American, and danged proud of it. Any other ethnicities or countries of origin are secondary to that identity.

• Like 5

I can't bring myself to do it. I am probably being paranoid, but I will not voluntarily put my DNA in a database regardless of the reason. I understand the excitement of those who do to try to somehow connect to their roots. But for me that does not matter as much, I am an American, and danged proud of it. Any other ethnicities or countries of origin are secondary to that identity.

Pretty much what I was going to post, before I typed the short version.

OMO: I got out of the Army BEFORE they started taking DNA.That didn't start until Dec. '91.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 2

To just satisfy curiosity no way.

Although as fragmented and dispersed as families have become there may be no one to ask about heredity otherwise.

Doing things the old fashioned way, most folks stop looking when they find out great great grand dad was a land swindler, except in Texas.

Just picking yall.

I have some family doing a genealogy thing - kinda interesting, but DNA I am a bit wary of! Personally, I'm reasonably sure of my ancestors back to the mid to late 19th century, as that is just my Grandparents generation.  HOWEVER, always remember "Mamma's BABY, Daddies Maybe!"

• Like 1

But you have to wonder about unintended consequences of being in a DNA database.

Im ex military so the government has my DNA as it is, I wonder about that too 

I dunno, having more than one of you around may not be such a bad thing in a pinch, right?  ;)

I got one grandparent who was Blackfoot Indian and another grandparent that was full Czech. The others are Euromishmash. I am American.

Due to where my people hit land and settled (South Carolina -> GA -> Alabama) back in the 18th century, mine has more Indian than any other single group.

There was one stretch around the time of trail of tears where four of my maternal ancestors were Cherokee.

American mutt

• Like 2

I really don't care about seeing any more suprizes in the family tree.  Jeffery Dahlmer is enough!

Ladyfingers anyone?

That's ok man, I wondered who was the black sheep in my family and realized it was me.

Meh it's a fairly boring line  bad_smile.gif

I have some family doing a genealogy thing - kinda interesting, but DNA I am a bit wary of! Personally, I'm reasonably sure of my ancestors back to the mid to late 19th century, as that is just my Grandparents generation.  HOWEVER, always remember "Mamma's BABY, Daddies Maybe!"

My mother in law is into online genealogy...  It resulted in a long lost 1st cousin making contact with my mom's family.  Apparently my grandmother's first husband disappeared with their 2 sons and she never heard from any of them again.  I don't really care one way or another even though I was sort of the conduit for it, but it was neat that my grandmother finally found out what happened to her oldest 2 sons, and got to meet the one that was still alive, plus a bunch of grandkids.

I have the fortune and privilege of being in custody of our family tree. My great uncle was a historian and our tree was his personal hobby. Our family name has been traced back as far as France 849 a.d. What makes it truly special is his attention to references and his bibliography included in it with citation and foot notes. It's over 300 pages thick and brittle but a treasure to look at.

• Like 2