Loose Magwell

After finally getting my IZ-433 up to 922® and getting some 10 round mags I see that my magwell seems to be loose and allows heavier magazines to sag and cause feed issues. I'm hoping this is fixable either via myself or a Gunsmith. If I could save the money and do it myself that would be helpful right now.

front of the magwell. whole thing will sag noticeably down with a fully loaded 10 rounder in it. 5 or less run alright and if i push the mag up the bolt picks up the rounds better but as it is now its pretty unreliable with a 10 rounder.

If it's the same style security nut as on the V12, just use a flat head screw driver and a hammer and tap it until it's tight.

Or change it to something more common with blue loctite.

Edited by YOT

If it's the same style security nut as on the V12, just use a flat head screw driver and a hammer and tap it until it's tight.

so I'm pushing it in with measured hammer blows? Just trying to make sure I know what the tightening action is going to be.

Seriously?

It's a nut, you use a twisting and turning action to tighten things with threads.

Put the tip of the screw driver in one of the slots and gently tap the screwdriver handle following the turning motion of the nut as it follows the threads in a tightening pattern.

I don't know how else to explain it. It should be pretty Fuckin self explanatory.

I've never used a hammer to tighten a nut or other threaded thing. That's why I asked, I thought it was a tightening operation and you brought a hammer into it, which confused me.

Turns out that the nut had fallen off completely... I'm very happy to have modded screwdriver, now I just need to know what size nut to tighten on with it!

You might see if Legion has any of the magwell hardware.

• Like 1

I recall sending you a replacement nut your way the first time this happened.  JDeko, you've been around long enough to have discovered Loctite by now.  SMFH!

Go down to the hardware store, buy yourself a replacement hex nut that works and modify it with a dremel.  Sand down the edges to make it round and cut a slot on the face like the original.  This time use some Loctite.  Come on dude, nut up and get this shit done!  Pun intended.  

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 3

that was the LRBHO, this is the forward nut/bolt. I loctite'd the LRBHO nut you gave me, and am kicking myself for not throwing some on this nut whilst I was at it. If you think they'd be the same size I could try to get a nut for the bolt you sent me with the first nut, I've been trying to keep it where I know where it is. I've been thinking about how you helped me the first time and how I should've glued both nuts that time.

• 1 month later...

I got nuts to fit the size of the bolt for the LRBHO but it appears the magwell bolt is bigger. Does anyone have a size on that bolt? Also, it seems I will have to trim the nut down since this too-small of nut fits snuggly in the hole just not on the bolt so a bigger nut might be too big[?]

above someone said to trim the nut down, how would one do that?

To 'thin' a nut, drill a hole in something solid. Screw the nut on to a bolt  going thru it. Saw bolt flush and file or dremmel the nut to desired thickness.

Also you'll have to round off the corners of the nut.  To do this I just bought a long bolt, held it in a vice grips, threaded the nut on and dremeled the corner off.  The nut spins in the process resulting in a fairly round nut.  You can also cut the slot on the face of the nut while holding it in a vice grips.   

• 2 months later...

Finally working up the nerve to do this [gunsmith wouldn't do it for me] the nut that seemed too small was an 8-32. Is it possible another stock size would fit? Or maybe it wasn't too small but I need a 24 thread instead? I'm really new to all this stuff and want to save as much wrong turns as possible. If there is no way to try but to get different nuts and try I'm fine with that but I figured I should ask at least first.

Here is a suggestion. If you know the thread pattern, you could get what's known as a threaded sleeve or bushing.

26312.jpg

Then cut a piece about 1/4" long and use a Dremel to cut a slot across one end for a screwdriver. You could also make it longer than the factory nut so it completely covers the bolt therefore letting you use a standard flat head screwdriver to tighten it.

• Like 1

I don't know the thread pattern for sure. Your idea sounds easier than the nut one. From the Vepr 12 magwell installation thread I get the impression that it might be a weird threading since the person there said they couldn't find a bolt that fit their nut.

I'm on my phone so I can't copy-paste the quote from that thread.

Edited by JDeko

On the bright side I do know the size of the LRBHO bolt so I could do that for that bolt and make it look pretty close to factory just with a silver tube instead of black

On the bright side I do know the size of the LRBHO bolt so I could do that for that bolt and make it look pretty close to factory just with a silver tube instead of black

Would anyone ever know except you? I doubt it. I really doubt it.

Would anyone ever know except you? I doubt it. I really doubt it.

I didn't buy the STG47 furniture set for other people, I really don't do any of the vain things I do for what others see, its all for my eyes to enjoy and if others do as well that's a side effect.

As it should be.

A nut is simply hardware. They could have given you a different one and you would have never known the difference.

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1