What to do with my 12C?

Recently acquired a LEO 12C for a great price. Great Shotgun but the 22 inch barrel is just too long.

post-5316-0-06226700-1483469444.jpg

post-5316-0-84643900-1483469779.jpg

I was thinking of chopping/threading to 18" or send to Tromix and SBS to 12" or possibly 8" (12" gives my more handguard to shoot drums).

Appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

Recently acquired a LEO 12C for a great price. Great Shotgun but the 22 inch barrel is just too long.

attachicon.gif20161228_113802.jpg

attachicon.gif20161228_114030.jpg

I was thinking of chopping/threading to 18" or send to Tromix and SBS to 12" or possibly 8" (12" gives my more handguard to shoot drums).

Appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

All good options

So I'm guess I'm the only one that would rather not see a rarer variant chopped?

Its really the reason I am even asking the question. I hate to permanently change a rare bird but most would agree 22 inches is just ridiculous for a magazine feed shotgun. The advantages of 4 less inches and threading for muzzle devices seems just to practical and aesthetically pleasing to do.

• Like 2

The reason they go for a premium price is not because they are collectible, but because the stock conversion is already done.

I think he's hittin' the crack pipe a bit too much.

The stock conversion's easy.

So I'm guess I'm the only one that would rather not see a rarer variant chopped?

Its really the reason I am even asking the question. I hate to permanently change a rare bird but most would agree 22 inches is just ridiculous for a magazine feed shotgun. The advantages of 4 less inches and threading for muzzle devices seems just to practical and aesthetically pleasing to do.

The only reason I chopped my 22" was to thread the barrel. The cutting wasn't hard, or the threading. The next thing I had to do was knock off the gas block and drill another port.

It was easier to buy the 19" threaded from Cadiz the 2nd time around.

Shame your 12-c didn't come with the marked 8rd mag too.

The reason they go for a premium price is not because they are collectible, but because the stock conversion is already done.

I'd say your assessment is justified though there is some collectible cool factor to a real 12C. It would cost quite a bit to have a shop build an accurate replica of a 12C, over $2k for that and an unmolested donor gun.

I'm not intimately familiar with what port number and size that may have came with (a guess, probably 3 at about 0.070"), but fire it before you do any port work. If it doesn't run, see how many ports there are, measure them, and post that info.

• Like 1

How about just keeping it the way it is and eventually either shoot or trade?  Sometimes cutting stuff gets out of favor.  We know an old coot who got a stamp for a SBS Saiga then changed his mind and asked the ATF to remove the SBS stamp.  They did.  He even got his $200 bucks back.  The 8 year old NIB Saiga 12 still resides deep inside one of the gun safes.  Who knows?

I'm not intimately familiar with what port number and size that may have came with (a guess, probably 3 at about 0.070"), but fire it before you do any port work. If it doesn't run, see how many ports there are, measure them, and post that info.

You would have to look in the gas block and check to see what you have. My guess would also be a 3 port gun like evlblkwpnz said.

I'm no expert on what runs and what doesn't run at a certain barrel length, I'll leave that to the pros out there who have been doing it for years. I just know that my 22" gun had 3 ports. When I shortened the barrel to remove the internal choke, it wouldn't run on low brass all the time. I went the route to drill a 4th hole, gun runs like it did before.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Go 8". You will figure out how to hold it with drums.

I always wanted to see one a 12C with "NOT" engraved big above the "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY" wink.png

Nah. That's a badge showing we won.

Or you could put a line through "LAW" and put "Constitution" above it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hadn't been on this board for years, decided to check on the state of the Saigas.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I had a 12c from a long time back, just after the ban sunsetted. I don't remember the number, but the 12c's came in on a weird exception.

at 22 inches, that gun never failed to cycle/shoot.

YMMV, and good luck.

Edited by kmoore