Made In The USA.

Maybe 6-8 years ago.. But recently their stuff was pretty much all made in China or India and often was lower end than harbor freight..

I have older craftsmen and it was decent.. However it was always contracted, craftsmen never owned their own factory.

Used to be made in the USA back in the day.  When we were in the trades we used off the shelf Craftsman stuff.  Use it up until it broke or wore out then returned it for a 100% no questions asked replacement.  Amazing how long some of it lasted.  No longer.  Sad.  :)

• Like 1

Not necessarily the end of the world...  Stanley also owns Proto tools, which are second to none.  Probably better, in fact, to have Craftsman in the hands of a tool company, given that Sears is probably going down in the long run, no matter what.  For a while now, the Craftsman brand has fit in with what Sears has become like a foot in a glove.  I agree it will be interesting to see what happens to the warranty.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 3

Mismanagement at it's FINEST!

"The Worlds LARGEST mail order Warehouse" Gets  out of the mail order business and concentrates on 'brick and mortar' stores - JUST as internet sales start to challenge them!  Then they double down on that and go all K-mart. The goose that laid that golden egg was turned into a Christmas dinner and a down pillow!

• Like 1

Hello

Sears stores were becoming known for welching on their hand tool warranty in recent years, demanding a receipt for replacement, claiming the tool was used commercially, therefore it didn't qualify, etc.

I've been in Sears stores a couple times lately when monolingual Mexican hands would be in there with broken hand tools and they would be turned away when trying to get warranty service.

That was pretty shitty, but I thought if they learned the language they probably would have been OK.

-Guido in TX

• Like 1

Not necessarily the end of the world...  Stanley also owns Proto tools, which are second to none.  Probably better, in fact, to have Craftsman in the hands of a tool company, given that Sears is probably going down in the long run, no matter what.  For a while now, the Craftsman brand has fit in with what Sears has become like a foot in a glove.  I agree it will be interesting to see what happens to the warranty.

I was going to argue that Proto is owned by Mac but after a little research I discovered that Mac and Proto are both owned by Stanley now. Stanley also owns Husky and prior to five years or so ago Stanley, Mac, Proto, Husky, and Craftsman were all made from the same forgings in the same plants. EDIT The article I read stating this was last updated in '04 so its been much longer than five years if true since they have all been made together. 

Edited by Zombieland

I always heard good stuff about Proto till I used them at work. Had three long handle 1/2 ratchets break after two weeks.

Our local mall remodeled a couple years ago. They put a dicks right in the middle with seats on one side and everything else on the other, the thing is they are no longer a walk through. So y ou have to go outside to get to either sears or dicks. Dumbest decision ever. I thought then that that's be the same of sears.

Only people I know that shop at sears have more money than sense. My gay brother in law always has his car worked on there. He needed brakes. I told him id help him so he could learn to do them. He didn't want to learn so he paid them over 300 bucks from a front brake job. Would have cost us like 55 with life time brake pads. I tried to tell him he would save enough money to buy a car in his life time just doing his own brakes. Some people never learn. But he is a democrat so there's that.

• Like 2

I always heard good stuff about Proto till I used them at work. Had three long handle 1/2 ratchets break after two weeks.

Our local mall remodeled a couple years ago. They put a dicks right in the middle with seats on one side and everything else on the other, the thing is they are no longer a walk through. So y ou have to go outside to get to either sears or dicks. Dumbest decision ever. I thought then that that's be the same of sears.

Only people I know that shop at sears have more money than sense. My gay brother in law always has his car worked on there. He needed brakes. I told him id help him so he could learn to do them. He didn't want to learn so he paid them over 300 bucks from a front brake job. Would have cost us like 55 with life time brake pads. I tried to tell him he would save enough money to buy a car in his life time just doing his own brakes. Some people never learn. But he is a democrat so there's that.

Maybe he just keeps going there because he likes dicks so much?021.gif 021.gif 021.gif 021.gif 021.gif 

Maybe he just keeps going there because he likes dicks so much?021.gif021.gif021.gif021.gif021.gif

Hahaha lol. Good one.

• Like 1