Are Saiga-12 selectors the same as standard AK?

Okay, sent my Saiga 12 off to a gunsmith to have some work done.  Among the jobs, adding selector detents.  I just sent the receiver, not the selector, and now he isn't sure if he can put the detents where they would go on any AK, or if there is a different dimension to the Saiga-12 lever.  Can I just have him cut the detent to fit a standard lever, or is there a difference?  Also, can I replace the old Saiga lever with a semi-auto AK lever later down the road, or do I have to have a Saiga lever in there?

So researching a bit, it appears the only diff between a Saiga lever and a standard semi-auto AK lever is the placement of the "nipple" that clicks into the detents (about 1/4" farther forward on the Saiga).

Can anyone confirm?

Edited by Mr. Scratch

I never payed any mind to the differences as I am usually working on one or the other and never needed to swap selectors, but I'll try to remember to have a look at both side by side and let you know.

Saiga selector on top:

15902566_562157063991895_1522281928_o.jp

Saiga selector on the left:

15943214_562157113991890_705770867_o.jpg

AK selector:

15934310_562157173991884_681931003_o.jpg

Saiga selector:

15942900_562157143991887_647552819_o.jpg

I tried installing the Saiga selector in the WASR that the AK selector came from, and it was not blocking the trigger from moving. I could not attempt installing the AK selector in the Saiga 12 due to the guts being at Cobra's for some work. I hope this helps.

Saiga selector on the left:

15943214_562157113991890_705770867_o.jpg

I tried installing the Saiga selector in the WASR that the AK selector came from, and it was not blocking the trigger from moving. I could not attempt installing the AK selector in the Saiga 12 due to the guts being at Cobra's for some work. I hope this helps.

I believe the short prong extension you see in the semi-auto AK selector above is what blocks the trigger in an AK.  I don't know what does it with a Saiga.

Thanks for the info. I really like the new selector that DDI is making. I don't know if its available separate but I wanted one for my S-12. Looks like ill just weld on a tab and make my own because I already drilled a spot on my reciever for the stop.

Things were non-stop until late and I totally forgot. Looks like there is enough difference for it to not be worth doing.

On the dimples, I think variation in parts is why many of them were made fairly long on a lot of AKs.