A combination of the instant market downturn after the election and the failures of their new American forged AK that they poured all their resources into is my guess.

I know I was pretty hot to get one of the new forged AKs but my want soured when the extractor broke in Rob Ski's rifle, and then the replacement extractor broke too.  Bad juju.

OTOH, this may be a good thing.  PSA and DDI working together may produce a genuinely good American AK.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

This can only be GOOD news. The amount of $$$$$$ that it takes to come up with components that match the durability of those from a State sponsored armory requires a larger pool of human and technical support.

• Like 2

G O B nailed it.  Can we imagine how many non competent Russian Commie Engineers and Party Members disappeared if the initial AK 47 major production run up had major, (or even minor) material, manufacturing and durability problems?

"Comrade ... three times now you have failed the State.  Bring your coat.  Lots of coats.  And hats!  And gloves"!  Ha ha ha. The Russian way.  :)

G O B nailed it.  Can we imagine how many non competent Russian Commie Engineers and Party Members disappeared if the initial AK 47 major production run up had major, (or even minor) material, manufacturing and durability problems?

"Comrade ... three times now you have failed the State.  Bring your coat.  Lots of coats.  And hats!  And gloves"!  Ha ha ha. The Russian way.  smile.png

The history of the IL-2 aircraft is possibly the best example:

You have let down our country and our Red Army. You have the nerve not to manufacture IL-2s until now. Our Red Army now needs IL-2 aircraft like the air it breathes, like the bread it eats. Shenkman produces one IL-2 a day and Tretyakov builds one or two MiG-3s daily. It is a mockery of our country and the Red Army. I ask you not to try the government's patience, and demand that you manufacture more ILs. This is my final warning.  -Stalin

The 23 mm (0.91 in) armament of Il-2 was subject to a competition. One of the first 1940 photographs of the Il-2 show it equipped with two MP-6 23 mm autocannons developed by Yakov Taubin (Яков Таубин (ru)) at OKB-16. The MP-6 gun weighed 70 kg and developed an initial muzzle velocity of 900 m/s. It operated on the short recoil principle and had a rate of fire of about 600 rpm. (The development of the MP-6 gun can be traced back to 1937. The initial version was tested in the spring of 1940 on a Bf 110 bought from Germany, because there was no suitable Soviet aircraft on which to mount it. In the summer of 1940 it was tested on the Pashinin I-21.) Factory trials of the MP-6 gun on the Il-2 were conducted in August 1940. In the early Il-2 prototypes, these guns were fed by 81-round clips. In flight, these clips sometimes became dislodged because of their large surface, which caused them to experience significant aerodynamic pressure. Competitive tests were conducted in the spring of 1941 between the MP-6 gun modified to belt-fed and the newly developed, gas-operated Volkov-Yartsev VYa-23, which had otherwise rather similar characteristics. The VYa-23 was declared the winner at this trial. Subsequently, in May 1941, development of the MP-6 gun was terminated and Taubin was arrested and summarily executed in October that year.