.223 verses 7.62x39

7.62X39 is equivelant to 30-30, but better ballistics because of pointed bullet. A .223 is a .22cal. TOO SMALL FOR DEER. However , great for varmint. two or four legged.

My suggestion? Buy one of each!

G O B

I believe in some states the .223 is legally too small for deer so check local laws. The heaviest shots in .223 you'll find are ~75grain, versus the lightest 7.62 loads which are around ~120grain. This makes a huge difference when trying to take down an animal, and I'd be in favor of the 7.62 for hunting. If you want a good tactical rifle, I'd go with the .223. If you want a good plinkin' gun, I'd go with the 7.62 since military surplus is so cheap for it.

Real world comparison: the .223 will be faster, flatter, and more accurate, as well as having less kick so you can get faster follow-up shots if needed. If you want a combination of accurate and powerful, go with a Saiga .308.

well, Ive seen deer taken numerous times with one shot from 22 HORNET (yeh, that tiny little thing). a few were head shots on doe, a couple were neck shots, and one was taken through the lung. almost all of them were easily tracked and drug out of the woods and promptly chopped up, cooked, and eaten.

its all in how you hunt, I guess. Id just assume kill the whole herd, but I hate the things. I kind of cant stand dodging them with my truck all the time, and the fact that they eat my friggin garden every year. To make matters even worse, they carry lyme disease ticks, and even better, chronic wasting disease is spreading slowly but surely. So yeh, I am a deer racist too, guys. them and blue jays. hate em.

If I were looking for a multiple kill opportunity, I would definately get a lower recoiling round chambered semiauto and lots of small mags to go out with. If I were looking for one kill, quick and done with, like a monster buck or something, I would go for a 308. second choice for me would be 7.62x39 and multiple magazines. and that is only if the terrain and cover warrants close in use.

Tastey to eat, but thats about it.

definately be aware of local laws where you hunt. most states say no to below 25? caliber? I think it is? for white tail, including the one I live in.

...but seeing how the people I know taking the deer in the manner I described are american indians, and is done at almost point blank range, I dont think anyone has a right to tell them how to hunt. I know I sure wont. It is a very serious family activity to them all, as well as the animals themselves being sacred. I wish all of you could hunt with guys like these at least once. It is very different, and nobody gets shot while pushing deer. The animals are 99% of the time found, and they are almost always clean kills. I guess it is because they still handle hunting the same as they did way back when, even though they are modernised now. Hunters like these guys are like the really honestly good cops out there. They are hard to come by, and a great thing when you do find them. Im going to get my tags this year just to shoot some more of those large rodents just to give to them for their freezers. I eat over there enough, might as well help fill the freezer, I guess. And I will be taking the saiga12 or my sar1 out with a red dot on it, because of how hilly and forested the area I will hunt is. (which reminds me I need to wire it with a contact switch when I get home) The deer dont know it yet, but they dont stand a chance. It will probably be my job to drop the one or two that run when brother shoots the first one to lead off, so it should play well with the semi auto and mags either way.