I had never seen an issue with a midlength until yesterday. My buddy's BCM middy kept short-stroking on WPA. Previous to that it had been 100% reliable with brass ammo for the past 4 years. My 10.5" SBR ate it no problem though. I'm curious to try running WPA through my PSA middy now to see how it runs.

• Like 1

I'd stick with Mil spec parts as much as possible.  That way if things go up, you can cannibalize military rifles.

Okay, if you get a military M4/16, are you really gonna cannibalize it or are you just gonna slap your upper on a full auto lower?

Both!  I'd take lowers till the stable is all select fire, then break the rest down for spares/barter materials. 

People have a hollywood/video game idea of what shtf is like. 

Full auto feels powerful, feels badass, but aimed fire is more effective and conserves ammo. 

The odds of being in a situation in shtf where full auto fire is needed are nearly zero.

I had never seen an issue with a midlength until yesterday. My buddy's BCM middy kept short-stroking on WPA. Previous to that it had been 100% reliable with brass ammo for the past 4 years. My 10.5" SBR ate it no problem though. I'm curious to try running WPA through my PSA middy now to see how it runs.

What length barrel does his gun have?

I'd stick with Mil spec parts as much as possible.  That way if things go up, you can cannibalize military rifles.

Okay, if you get a military M4/16, are you really gonna cannibalize it or are you just gonna slap your upper on a full auto lower?

Both!  I'd take lowers till the stable is all select fire, then break the rest down for spares/barter materials. 

People have a hollywood/video game idea of what shtf is like. 

Full auto feels powerful, feels badass, but aimed fire is more effective and conserves ammo. 

The odds of being in a situation in shtf where full auto fire is needed are nearly zero.

True...But there are times when having full auto is useful.  Like taking out vehicals or aircraft.

It does wreak havoc on the 210 round per quarter rationing in the bunker, but if you go empty, you grab one of the backup AK's.

What length barrel does his gun have?

16"

When I had my 14.5 middy BCM it didn't like PMC .223.  Would short stroke on it.

No issues with Tul or Wolf.

PSA Freedom Magpul edition blem upper and lower came in this week. For the life of me I can't identify why it's a blem and very much a featherweight of a rifle. The only question that remains is the important one, will it shoot.

That's been my experience with two PSA blem specials so far. 

• Like 1

I was looking at some of the rifle kits on the PSA website. Is there any reason NOT to get one of those? If I did, the only other thing I would need is a lower of some sort,correct?

No, other than the fact that I've seen some of those kits on sale for less. Item 7781383 is actually a pretty nice deal though.

And yes, all you'd need is a lower and a sight/sights.

On the uppers,some of them say mid-length gas system,while others are carbine-length.Is one better than the other or are they about the same?

For 16" barrel use a mid-length. 18"+ use a rifle length. This will make a smoother shooting gun that isn't overgassed.

I prefer midlength simply because I have long arms and the midlength handguard is longer than carbine. PSA is a great company and I have built several AR's using their uppers. If you go PSA, spend a little extra and get their "premium" upper. Don't get PTAC or their "freedom" series. Nothing wrong with those, and they shoot just fine, but spend a few dollars more and get the better "premium" model. BTW, their "enhanced" trigger for $30 is a great deal on a really good trigger. 

That argument extends to almost all SHTF scenarios. I think the proper justification is, "because I want it and you can't come up with a valid reason why I don't have a right to it."

I prefer midlength simply because I have long arms and the midlength handguard is longer than carbine. PSA is a great company and I have built several AR's using their uppers. If you go PSA, spend a little extra and get their "premium" upper. Don't get PTAC or their "freedom" series. Nothing wrong with those, and they shoot just fine, but spend a few dollars more and get the better "premium" model. BTW, their "enhanced" trigger for $30 is a great deal on a really good trigger. 

What is the benefit of the premium, specificially? FN barrels get mentioned a lot, but it seems to take a lot of research to be sure a particular gun or kit has those.

A company I know sells all its rejected AR components to BCM.

Sometimes you get what you pay for

BH

Who gets the parts that aren't rejects?

The Premiums are FN-barreled

I don't think they all are. Some premium rifles don't have CHF in the description, from what I understand those are different.

PSA Freedom Magpul edition blem upper and lower came in this week. For the life of me I can't identify why it's a blem and very much a featherweight of a rifle. The only question that remains is the important one, will it shoot.

I've been hearing PSA will mark items as blemished if they are overstocked just to move them faster. Not sure if its true though but multiple sources have reported this.

A company I know sells all its rejected AR components to BCM.

Sometimes you get what you pay for

BH

Who gets the parts that aren't rejects?

The Premiums are FN-barreled

I don't think they all are. Some premium rifles don't have CHF in the description, from what I understand those are different.

I've been hearing PSA will mark items as blemished if they are overstocked just to move them faster. Not sure if its true though but multiple sources have reported this.
FN also makes the chrome-lined non-CHF barrels for PSA. For example, items 30795 and 29607 (which I own). Edited by W8lifter

I've heard that you can shim the interface between the barrel and upper a little tighter to acurize those too.

Sloppy uppers or undersized barrel extensions will cause an AR to string shots as it heats up.

A little dab of ultra copper high temp RTV on the extension at assembly will take up the excess clearance and abrogate the effects of the excess clearance.

BH  

• Like 1