Vepr 12 testing

I don't make all customer test videos public since most people can only handle seeing so much of the exact same thing, but don't have a lot of footage while using a Salvo 12 silencer so this one made the cut wink.png

14" barrel

Services performed:

V12 SBS Service

V12R Weapon Refinement with UG2 Short pull/short reset trigger job (about 0.080" total travel)

Rem Choke internal threading

Total $1300

ALL factory springs were retained. I actually work for reliability.

Loads used:

Federal Top Gun 2-3/4 dram

Federal Multi-purpose 3 dram

Winchester Universal 3 dram

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

bloody hell thats a fast finger!!! 

nice work too! all the sgm mags work from the get go?

didnt try runnin the salvo in the shorter config?

at 46 seconds, last shell looked like it wanted to jam the gun up...

UG2 trigger job ;) I'm not that fast with a regular trigger. It comes with my V12R service and I have been doing a lot of that lately. I don't fire much outside of test firing, but I am getting very used to just toggling it between the reset and break when UG2 has been done. It is a crazy short trigger.

Out of the SGMs I have here there is one 10 rounder that is a little funky in some guns. I'm not a big fan of them, but they are ok for test firing and range use. I really wish they would do a redesign though. Lose the horizontal ribs, make the plate smaller, make the feed angle match factory, and add material to the sides to make them automatically align like factory mags upon insertion, that's what I would have them do if they asked for my opinion, lol.

No, it didn't have the extra rods for shorter length. Sounds awesome long in person though.

The LRBHO keeps the carrier from traveling far enough forward to make the last one eject exactly like the rest. Slow fire ejection tends to be a little different than rapid fire as well. As consistent as I try to be during both slow and rapid, there are minor changes in grip, etc. when my focus shifts to let-the-hulls-flow mode.

• 3 weeks later...

is it "hearing safe"?

ah ya that expanation makes sense, forgot aboot that

It is hearing safe in full length and with Federal Top Gun (2-3/4 dram), at least. I haven't had the opportunity to really do a lot of testing with it with other loads. In a wide open area where the sonic crack will not bounce back so quickly, it will most likely be hearing safe with stronger loads than 2-3/4 dram. It does a great job of muffling the actual blast, but the sonic crack is noticeable with Fed Multi and Win Uni when there are bushes, vehicles, and buildings nearby. Environment has a lot to do with it. For HD, if one could find some subsonic slugs, or Buck to #6, it would definitely ring your bell less than say a suppressed AR or something with a comparable suppressed report. The Salvo 12 is a winner. 

• Like 1

I've been speculating that this might create some demand for heavier than normal slugs for the V12 users and similar. You want enough total energy to reliably cycle, with a slow moving projectile, the only way to make that happen is an increase in mass, for instance 1.5 oz slugs at 1100 FPS (out of a 10" barrell)

• Like 1

I've been speculating that this might create some demand for heavier than normal slugs for the V12 users and similar. You want enough total energy to reliably cycle, with a slow moving projectile, the only way to make that happen is an increase in mass, for instance 1.5 oz slugs at 1100 FPS (out of a 10" barrell)

The can does add a little backpressure. For example, when I tune a V12 for 3 dram loads with no can it will usually run 2-3/4 dram loads with the can, but not without. I hope to be a little less busy in a few months and have the opportunity to do some more in depth testing with various loads that fall in the limitations of the can. It does seem like most ammo manufacturers are focused on low recoil when it comes to subsonic loads, which I understand, but doesn't serve us mag fed guys. It is another example of the market forcing the manufacturers to steer things into a direction that is not ideal for us. It reminds me of how a silencer now has to be small and light or no one wants to buy it, yet the larger volume cans of good design are so impressively quiet. We have lost the main goal to some degree. I'll be glad when someone comes along and decides it is ok to have a large and quiet can again.

I will extend that thought a little. The salvo is offset so as not to obstruct sight line. That really is not a concern for most mag fed shotguns. There is a lot of potential volume being wasted.

I would like a design like a rounded off rectangle centered on bore. It should have a quick detach brake which allows the can to extend back a few inches for extra volume closer to the balance point

• Like 1