First range trip after mag conversion

Was able to make it to the range yesterday after work before I had to pick up the kid.

Only had a half hour and was able to get sighted in for the most part.  Accuracy isn't anything to brag about.  Shooting with a PA Micro at 50 yards.  Dot was covering my aiming points plus my astigmatism makes it hard to get precise with an RDS.

I'll throw the 2-10 on when I get it and see what kind of accuracy I can get.

I shot Hex mags, Pmags and USGI steel.  All functioned flawlessly.  Bolt locked open on each after the last round and mags drop free, hex mags are tighter than the rest.  Harder to lock in and don't drop free reliably.

Only had .223 in my bag.  Will use some 5.56 on my next trip.

Goups

#1 Perfecta 55gr .223. 5 rounds. 50 yards. Supported, sighting in.

#2 Perfecta 55gr .223. 5 rounds. 50 yards. Supported, sighting in.

#3 Perfecta 55gr .223. 5 rounds. 50 yards. Supported, sighting in.

#4 American Eagle 55gr .223. 5 rounds. 50 yards supported.

#5 American Eagle 55gr .223. 5 rounds. 50 yards supported.

#6 American Eagle 55gr .223. 5 rounds. 50 yards supported.

#7 American Eagle 55gr .223. 20 rounds 50 yards supported.

#8 American Eagle 55gr .223. 10 rounds 50 yards standing.

#9 Perfecta 55gr .223. 10 rounds. 25 yards standing.

(not marked, oops) #10 American Eagle 55gr .223. 10 rounds. 25 yards standing semi-rapid fire.

16402603_10158152963500720_6489179351504

31840325314_7ce8c273a1_b.jpg

DA Saiga by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Love that mag conversion. Hope to do the same. Did the internals need shaving to make it fit?

And if that is 50 yards, your groups look better than mine to date!

Always striving for 1moa.  Haha.

Yes, some material was removed to allow all parts to work, including getting the AR mags in high enough.  How much and what material I honestly don't know.  That's why I would have NEVER attempted a conversion on my own.

If I am able to consistently hit an 8" plate at 100 yards then I'm a happy guy. Looks good to me. With the AK platform you kind of have to manage accuracy expectations anyway.

ETA: I've been meaning to compliment you on your photos. Excellent.

• Like 1

If I am able to consistently hit an 8" plate at 100 yards then I'm a happy guy. Looks good to me. With the AK platform you kind of have to manage accuracy expectations anyway.

ETA: I've been meaning to compliment you on your photos. Excellent.

Thanks sir.

Yeah, with the 1-9 twist and being an AK I was expecting somewhere in the 2moa neighborhood and happy with anything better.

I should have my Weaver Tactical 2-10 Wednesday.  I've got the RS mount to run it.  I'll try to hit the range again this weekend and see just how good I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the range report. I've got a 223 I'd like to convert to accept AR Mags. Really like your setup. Any wisdom on the mag conversion process would be great.

The red dots are giving me issues too, I'm contemplating running a prism next. I like my posp, but want something different.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the range report. I've got a 223 I'd like to convert to accept AR Mags. Really like your setup. Any wisdom on the mag conversion process would be great.

The red dots are giving me issues too, I'm contemplating running a prism next. I like my posp, but want something different.

Thanks man.

I didn't do the conversion.  Definitive Arms did it.  So I can't help there.

How are you having issues with red dots?  Can you elaborate? 

Took the Saiga to the range again. Ran flawlessly again.

Was only able to put about 75 rounds through as I was splitting my hour and ammo between several rifles.

What was cool was shooting it right after shooting my AR and feeling the difference in the recoil impulse and carrier moving. With the Griffin brake you can really feel the carrier's travel. More of a push.

I really like the LRBHO. I can tell easily when I'm dry, no click.

17039276_10158270965800720_5082505280848