There's a '73 Winchester repro by Uberti in 44mag on gunbroker....

'73 Winchesters are smooth as snot on a glass floor. I have one. Great gun. One of my favorite lever guns.

The '92s are nice too, and stronger, but not as smooth.

I've shot the Henrys, but I can run 'em fast enough to jam 'em, so they're a no-go for me. Nice gun, but not fast.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 2

Marlin is great but only those made before the corporate buyout......lots of issues concerning quality control reported on the newer versions.....if you have the budget for it, go ahead and get the Henry.....I'm not as crazy about loading from the tube.... but...quality wise, the Henry is top shelf.....learn from my mistake....I bought a newer marlin....had to send it back to factory for repairs....came back with a brand new set of problems....a very frustrating experience all around.....I've put it in the rear view mirror and never looked back.....as far as the Winchester is concerned....I just don't prefer top eject.......

• Like 1

My preference in a lever is a Marlin.  Something to be said about ejecting the shells down instead of out to the side.  

Huh? unsure.png

I have a Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum 16.5" ported (Predator, I think it was referred to? :unsure: ) barrel on it.  Damn fine accurate little firearm. :up:

You do know that the original Marlin factory was sold to Remington not all that long ago, right?  I haven't heard any real stellar reports about the Rem-Marlin lever actions quality though. horror.gif 

Ooops, slightly late to the party I am I see. :lol:

• Like 3

From what I've heard the 1873's don't hold up real well to the pressures of magnum rounds. More suitable for 45 Colt & Cowboy loads.

I love my Rossi 92 in  .357/.38 (20" octagon barrel & case colored) Eventually I'm going to add a peep sight on the bolt where the cheesy safety is located.

Hard to go wrong with a Winchester 94 or pre Remlin Marlin either

• Like 2

I have Marlin and Henry lever guns. I bought my son a Winchester for his HS graduation. I like them all. I think the Marlin is probably the easiest to take down for cleaning and has the best trigger, but it's a Marlin, not a remlin. I had a Marlin .44 mag back in the 80's. It sure wasn't the most accurate gun. Nowhere close to the Ruger semi I had, so I sold it.

• Like 1

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

I'm going to start fingerprinting every one I see in a rack. I've fingered the Henry Big Boy .44mag, it's nice but heavy, so want to find Henry's Steel model.

I didn't even have Rossi on the list, thanks. My wife's Rossi .357/.38 revolver has been flawless, so I'll definitely look at them. Especially if they offer case herdened receivers, love the look.

Keep it coming. It's like reading erotica, keeping me excited.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

I'm going to start fingerprinting every one I see in a rack. I've fingered the Henry Big Boy .44mag, it's nice but heavy, so want to find Henry's Steel model.

I didn't even have Rossi on the list, thanks. My wife's Rossi .357/.38 revolver has been flawless, so I'll definitely look at them. Especially if they offer case herdened receivers, love the look.

Keep it coming. It's like reading erotica, keeping me excited.

The Rossi '92s are great guns. I have one from Navy Arms (importer). Good running gun. Strong, relatively quick to run. Accurate.

• Like 1

I am fairly happy with my Rossi (SBRed Ranch Hand), but it's a .45 Colt, not a .44 Mag.  There are nicer quality M92 clones out there, but the Rossis work fine.  Some of them start out a little rough cycling from what I understand, but Steve Young sells an action smoothing kit, or you can just cycle and shoot it a bunch.  Mine was relatively smooth to begin with.

• Like 1

As I recall, I just used a whetstone with honing oil and polished up the flat surfaces on my Rossi's action. Not much to it and got rid of one or two small rough spots I felt. They may well have worn off on their own after more shooting, but I don't have that many rounds through it yet.

Need some bucks in the bank to get more .44 ammo.  ;)

• Like 3

Recently picked up a Henry 45-70 carbine, great little gun. Well made, light and easy to handle, cycles and shoots very nice. I like the tube magazine, it seems faster to load than the Marlin side charging trap door.

Trigger could be better. It has no external/manual safety, big plus. The trigger slides a hammer blocking thing so it uses a little trigger pull to move the safety out of the way. It's not terrible by any means but imho it could be better. (Only negative I could think of) the trade off for not having a stupid cross bolt safety is worth the slightly longer trigger pull for me.

If I ever find one on the shelf in .44 I'm taking it home. I want the carbine .44. Maybe I'll just have to order one.

post-39558-0-11003000-1487392048_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I find the method of loading the Henry to be unacceptable, even though it is probably a better made rifle than the Rossi otherwise.  For my specific use, the magazine would not have worked at all with a silencer installed.  The Henry is also not a reproduction or based on any original action to the best of my knowledge, if that matters at all to you.

You have a suppressor on a lever-action rifle?!

Got any pictures? smile.png

I think I posted this in the NFA section a while back.

rh92-13.jpg

I've had the can for a couple months but I haven't fired it suppressed yet.  Between the weather being crap, and being wrapped up in buying a bigger house I just haven't had much opportunity to get to the range this winter.

• Like 3

032.gif  How did you mount the suppressor on there?

I removed the barrel, and had a gunsmith thread it .578-28; he also shortened the magazine tube for me.  The can is a Silencerco Octane 45HD with a .578-28 piston and fixed barrel spacer installed.  There is more information about the conversion process here:

http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26844

• Like 1

My preference in a lever is a Marlin.  Something to be said about ejecting the shells down instead of out to the side.   I also like a Ithica pump shot gun for the same reason.

I own a Marlin and a Marlin copy cat (Rio Grande chambered for .45-70 and a Marlin 1895 SBL chambered for .45-70.  They both side eject spent casings.)

Marlin is great but only those made before the corporate buyout......lots of issues concerning quality control reported on the newer versions.....if you have the budget for it, go ahead and get the Henry.....I'm not as crazy about loading from the tube.... but...quality wise, the Henry is top shelf.....learn from my mistake....I bought a newer marlin....had to send it back to factory for repairs....came back with a brand new set of problems....a very frustrating experience all around.....I've put it in the rear view mirror and never looked back.....as far as the Winchester is concerned....I just don't prefer top eject.......

Mine is a Corporate buy out Marlin.  An 1895 SBL chambered for .45-70, Mine runs smooth.

I have the Rossi M92 .44 spl/mag. Its great to shoot with the spcl's, and fairly stout with the mag's. Smooth action, and there is a kit available to remove the silly "safety" they added to it. 12-15 rnd capacity! smile.png

That kit is the dealmaker I've been hoping someone would make. I've wanted a .357" levergun for a long time, but the safties always just sour me on the whole thing. Such hideous blights.

032.gif  How did you mount the suppressor on there?

I removed the barrel, and had a gunsmith thread it .578-28; he also shortened the magazine tube for me.  The can is a Silencerco Octane 45HD with a .578-28 piston and fixed barrel spacer installed.  There is more information about the conversion process here:

http://www.theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26844

That's pretty sweet. Now if you have to drop a bear or a moose quickly you won't lose your hearing. I bet it would be easy to make some whopping heavy freight train subsonics too.

That's pretty sweet. Now if you have to drop a bear or a moose quickly you won't lose your hearing. I bet it would be easy to make some whopping heavy freight train subsonics too.

If I have to dump a bear, that's what my .450 Marlin Guide Gun is for.  Or the S-12, of course.  A friend of mine actually did stop a brown bear with his S-12.

If I have to dump a bear, that's what my .450 Marlin Guide Gun is for.  Or the S-12, of course.  A friend of mine actually did stop a brown bear with his S-12.

oops, I thought this was on a 45-70.

Wow. Do you know what load he used? I'm guessing slugs?

3" Brenneke slugs.

The ADF&G guys I've talked to carry those, not that I'm necessarily persuaded by 'appeal to authority.'