EAA Witness Large Frame Aluminum Grips

Another JDeko pistol thread!

I was watching a YankeeMarshal where he made what he called a "Ghost Gun" by putting silver Aluminum grips on a Beretta 92 Inox so the whole pistol was shiny silver like a stainless steel sink. I kind of want to do that with an EAA Witness 10mm, getting it to look more or less like this:

16l0ldc.jpg

svp0y8.jpg

They say that the large frames take CZ 97 mags, does anyone here have a .38 Super, 10mm, or other large frame EAA Witness and were you able to put CZ 97 grips on it? I really don't want to shell out 120 for the Tanfoglio ones.

I own a Stock 3 in 45. Not sure if they take CZ97 mags?

If I was looking for custom parts, I'd be looking at stuff from Eric Grauffel. He is the face of Tanfoglio in competition and has a custom line of parts.

I saw that they took those mags on the CZ forums [i think?] trying to do a bit of research before making this thread. I've not handled one, sadly, they have a couple CZ 75s at the range I go to but just 9mm, no exotics. 

They are super nice pistols. EAA sucks ass as far as customer service goes.

Factory mags aren't hard to find for them though, I know midway carries them.

I'll try and find the website with all the custom parts. I know there was aluminum grips on there.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I might get the carry model after shooting a CZ75 Compact at my local gun store. I've not seen ANY silver aluminum grips for the carry models. To all the folk talking about making grips, do y'all have sources that could make me a pair?

This probably will turn into another one of my usual threads [except the SXP Thread, I bought that right away] as my dad has fallen ill and we're still figuring out his finances. Even if my money is my own taking the class for my CCW might be an issue since my brother and I have to take terms watching him 24/7.

Cruel as it may sound, however I'm released from this obligation I do plan to get my license and I know that cosmetics aren't that important but it would honestly mean a lot to me to be able to put silver [or at least light grey] on whatever model I purchase. And I think having a nice piece of aesthetic beauty to carry [even if I'm going to have to hide it at times or choose to hide it at times] will encourage me to carry it as opposed to a black plastic Kleenex box like a Glock or other poly wonders. 

Beauty is pain after all. 

1) remove grips

2) buy some clay

3) place grips into clay

4) create mold of grips and then cook clay

5) make friends with someone with a crucible and a need for a possible side income

6) make some grips out of aluminum with new friends crucible and the molds

7) celebrate victory of having your aluminum grips and also a potential side income

• Like 2

Step 1: Buy gun first.

Step 2: Report back.

They aren't even in stock currently, waiting for new imports, expect the compact model which has no pre-existing silver aluminum grips. So I was asking if anyone here had an idea if I could have some made and how much it would cost.

• 6 months later...

Anyone ever find out if the large frame [10mm .45 acp some say 38 Super] Witnesses take CZ 97 grips? I suppose it would take owning one of both and testing it out or finding someone who had, hoping such knowledge exists somewhere in this group.

Step 1: Buy gun first.

Step 2: Report back.

Steps 1 and 2 completed.

My usually proclivities are coming to light again and now I kind of want wood grips for it, but I can't find them anywhere.

You can do the wood grips. It's a great first project and a LOT easier than restocking a double from scratch, and I managed to do that:

Give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

gallery_8052_1264_186595.jpg

I usually don't like light colored wood, but that grain pattern is gorgeous.

Does anyone here know if the fiber optic front sight [#303011] they sell would fit the 4.5in wonder steel frame base model [999220]? That is the one other thing I'd like to change on it besides the grips. Their site seems to be derping as far as "Contact Us" goes so I'm hoping someone here might have answers.

You can do the wood grips. It's a great first project and a LOT easier than restocking a double from scratch, and I managed to do that:

Man that wood grain is beautiful. The silver receiver as well.

I usually don't like light colored wood, but that grain pattern is gorgeous.

No stain at all. Just old growth English walnut, seasoned for over 20 years with a hand rubbed Tru-Oil finish and paste wax.

JDEKO:

Check out cabinet shops in your area. Some mill their own limber and may be able to hook you up with something really nice for your grips.

They won't charge nearly as much as the places that sell "grip blanks". (overpriced little slabs of wood).

Maple is nice and easy to get if you want a lighter wood, and it'll stain well. Not much figure unless you go with curly maple.

Walnut is easy to work with.

Lots of others.

Oh....check out places that sell and install hardwood flooring. LOTS of VERY nice stuff there, and they have odd pieces left from installs that they may even GIVE you if you talk to the installer and not the salesperson. ;) Try this first.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Finally got a pair of Henning Aluminum grips for her, went with red instead of silver like my original idea was based of TYM's Beretta 92fs Innox.

fYMikKp.jpgjJYbenY.jpg

Torx screws it came with left them floppy and wiggly so I had to use the factory ones which are mildly scratchy with those flathead slots. Still really wish I knew for sure if the fiber optic front sight would fit [folks at Ben Stoeger's said the grips wouldn't fit which was half right...] or someone/someplace that'd drill my sights for tritium.

All told I'm really happy with all this, but I'm a perfectionist so the sights especially irk me as they could be better.

Call a machine shop and ask if they can do a small job for you on a slide.

If they say no guns, then tell them they'll not be working on the gun, just the separated slide. Completely unregulated.

Remove the slide and take it, along with the fiber optic rods to a machine shop.

Easy job on a decent mill. Shouldn't be expensive. Less than an hours' work including setup.

• Like 1

See if they can mill off the sight and cut a dovetail so you can slide in the front sight of choice.

The issue is that mine is the "Wonder" coat which would mean having to send it out to get NP3 coated after. Though I even just having a hole drilled through the front sight might mean I have to do that too as well, huh?