I read a number of more technical and less stylized versions of the story at the time. There used to be one with diagrams of firing angles etc. Finding them again proved difficult. The upshot worth remembering, is that there were 6 hits from a 45 ACP with defensive ammo, likely to prove fatal eventually. He still was able to circle a car and change guns. (IIRC he started with an SKS and moved to a bersa? it's been a while since I read.) The guy was not jacked up on some mythical super serum. He was just motivated.

This isn't to rag on 45, it's just to challenge the myth. All in All, I wan't to aim well and I want more do-overs for when I don't aim well. 45 is simply a round that hasn't been optimized yet. It works, but no better than other rounds which give you more shots, are easier to carry, and cost less.

p.s. I just made some 243 grain TC 45 ACP a few days ago. Like I said, I like 45, but I don't drink the cool aid.

There are a wide variety of loads for the .45 ACP, so I would say it's pretty well "optimized." It also depends on what the Dept. allows their officers to use.

12 rnds. of .45 vs. 18 rnds. of 9mm? I'd probably choose the 9mm also. I have a Taurus 24/7 Long Slide with the double-stack mag's, is where I got 12 rnds. of .45.  ;)

It would be nice to have my Rossi M92 with 14 rounds of .44 Magnum out of a 20" barrel, too!  :)

I dont need any kool aid to determine that 45 is my preferred caliber for carry.

The self defense ammo I use is nothing short of devastating.

IIRC the FBI stats were pretty clear on effectiveness of differing calibers.

I made my initial comment on 45 more as a funny than a point of argument.

In any event, a cool head and proper shot placement are key to survival in any exchange of gunfire.

BH 

The Officer did a great job, he went home healthy and happy.

I just wonder, when he rounded the bend and the bad guy was already out of his car, if the Officer could have either attacked him using the car, or threw it in reverse to get some distance? Just wondering, not criticizing the Officer.

(I imagine it's against station policy to run over a suspect, though.)

Accidents do happen, after all

• Like 2

Adrenaline, the most powerful pain killer known to man.

Some people produce so much of it a taser will not put them down.

It makes the body do things super human and it makes you so shaky that you cannot think but just react to your habits.

This LEO was well trained with good habits and it still did not stop the guy untill the end.

We had a case out here a few years ago, where a guy with a rifle shot at two police officers, an experienced officer with a rookie. The older officer was shot and went down (survived) but did hit the bad guy a few times, but he kept firing. The rookie shot the bad guy and whether by accident or design, hit him in the hip joint with her .45 and that dropped him like a rock. Remove the support structure and the body can't stay up.

As I recall, the second shooter in the infamous North Hollywood Bank shootout was taken out when a SWAT officer shot under his car and hit him in the ankle or foot, dropping him to the ground.

Edited by Ronin38
  • 10 months later...