First World Dilemma  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What to Blow My Wad On?

• A Bunch of Little Stuff
    • A Bunch of Little Stuff

I'm sitting here with a First World dilemma, what to spend some mad money on?

I'm thinking of several possibilities.

An A2 National Match/Service Rifle complete upper, something on the lower end under a grand.

Maybe a Compass Lake build

Upper_Service_Rifle_A2.png Service Rifle Upper, .223, Customizable Options

• Barrel Type - Criterion CM 7 twist
  • Chamber Type - Wylde
  • Select Muzzle Type - Post Ban -without flash suppressor or bayonet mount
  • Rear Site MOA Option - 1/4 MOA
  • Rear Sight Aperture - .040
  • Front Sight Post - .052
  • Pinned Rear Sight - add

A lever-action .44 mag.

Arsenal SLR-107R AK 7.62x39

A revolver in any of the following, .22mag, .38spc/.357mag or .44mag.

Or maybe blow my wad buying a bunch of little stuff, Bradley M1A adjustable cheek rest, Harris bipod, AR parts, some slings, more ammo

Edited by ChileRelleno

A2 Upper Group.  Consider a bayonet lug and threaded muzzle.  Consider Wilde Chamber.  Consider a parked or blackened barrel finish.  Strongly consider a OEM taper pin type front site base.  Make sure the upper build is barreled/torqued properly and shoots straight down the pipe right to left with the rear aperture dead dead centered.  A chromed plated bitch to build properly.  Enjoy!  :)

• Like 1

A2 Upper Group.  Consider a bayonet lug and threaded muzzle.  Consider Wilde Chamber.  Consider a parked or blackened barrel finish.  Strongly consider a OEM taper pin type front site base.  Make sure the upper build is barreled/torqued properly and shoots straight down the pipe right to left with the rear aperture dead dead centered.  A chromed plated bitch to build properly.  Enjoy!  smile.png

I'm not going to build it, I'll leave that to the professionals.

They build these Service Rifle/High Power/National Match type complete uppers everyday.

If I buy one, I'll build the A2 lower to go with it.

• Like 1

Where the hell is this $850.00 Arsenal SLR-107?

Should be more in stock soon.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR107-11.html

Sure do wish it had a regular Bulgy 24mm muzzle attachment.

But anyways, no I hadn't seen that,all I've seen are 1K+ AK's and that's too rich for my blood right now.

Edited by ChileRelleno

AR15 A2 Upper Group return.  Here is what is necessary.  Usually.  The barrel will have to be indexed?  A 100 yd bore laser must be used.  Dawn or dusk condition.  Then the build SHOULD be assembled on a host lower group and test fired about 10 rounds at 100 yards to see where the gun actually prints.

Then do the same at 300 yards.  Ten more shots.  The build MUST print exactly centered right to left with that horrible pesky OEM rear iron site aperture being exactly centered on the upper receiver.  No room for any error.  We are talking about four clicks being exactly centered.  Why?  Long range matches.

Windy conditions.  Getting the precise barrel assembly with the precise taper pin holes and the precise upper receiver front barrel flat exactly even and properly torqued up takes lots of time.  Assemblers at some business may not take the HOURS required.  Nor may they have the range facilities to do so.

Cost?  We are talking hours.  Off and on, off and on: until that barrel is exactly where it needs to be.  This is not your usual home or shop build.  We are talking precision.  Expect to pay whatever it takes to do it properly.  Shop rates?  It could be $500 bucks in labor.  Or ... perhaps today little labor at all?

I kinda doubt it.  If you want a shooter with the rear irons static canted all over the place, then you are good to go.  But ...if you want a gun that will win matches in windy conditions, then the build must be exact.  Again, time consuming.  Or ... and the skills are easy but just time consuming, you can build your own.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HB of CJ

Did you say 44 mag revolver? Anaconda anyone?

Stop, these damned snakes cost too much.

Getting as bad as all those motherfuck'n snakes on motherfuck'n airplanes.

Lol. After I posted that I checked gunbroker. Wow Shirley no one pays over 5k for a used revolver. Hell any revolver.

Lol. After I posted that I checked gunbroker. Wow Shirley no one pays over 5k for a used revolver. Hell any revolver.

I don't know about Shirley, but I sure as heck ain't that well off.

AR15 A2 Upper Group return.  Here is what is necessary.  Usually.  The barrel will have to be indexed?  A 100 yd bore laser must be used.  Dawn or dusk condition.  Then the build SHOULD be assembled on a host lower group and test fired about 10 rounds at 100 yards to see where the gun actually prints.

Then do the same at 300 yards.  Ten more shots.  The build MUST print exactly centered right to left with that horrible pesky OEM rear iron site aperture being exactly centered on the upper receiver.  No room for any error.  We are talking about four clicks being exactly centered.  Why?  Long range matches.

Windy conditions.  Getting the precise barrel assembly with the precise taper pin holes and the precise upper receiver front barrel flat exactly even and properly torqued up takes lots of time.  Assemblers at some business may not take the HOURS required.  Nor may they have the range facilities to do so.

Cost?  We are talking hours.  Off and on, off and on: until that barrel is exactly where it needs to be.  This is not your usual home or shop build.  We are talking precision.  Expect to pay whatever it takes to do it properly.  Shop rates?  It could be $500 bucks in labor.  Or ... perhaps today little labor at all?

I kinda doubt it.  If you want a shooter with the rear irons static canted all over the place, then you are good to go.  But ...if you want a gun that will win matches in windy conditions, then the build must be exact.  Again, time consuming.  Or ... and the skills are easy but just time consuming, you can build your own.

Hope this helps.

Well, I sure don't have the skills, time or shop for all that.

But there are several well known and well regarded shops that build high quality uppers for competition.

They have their Low end and High end, all depends on your wallet's lining.

Keystone Accuracy, Compass Lake Engineering, White Oak Armament, Creedmore/Gene Clark and several others.

Don't know what all they go through, but I do know that most take anywhere from weeks to months to fill an order.

Whether that is build time or back order, I don't know.

But I'm tempted to drop a few $$$ for a 600 yard rifle based on their reputation.

Not for competition, but for fun.

• Like 1

I don't know about Shirley, but I sure as heck ain't that well off.

Well that was a airplane joke set up. But that plane has taken flight.

A2 AR15 Upper Group bump.  Might be money well spent to have them do it as long as there is a good guarantee.  I also do not have the tools, gigs, gages, bench, vise, jaws, wrench, torque wrench, range, etc., etc to do it right.  I also would pay to have somebody else do it ... but again only if done right. 

My dream is a AR15 A2 20 inch heavy barrel RIFLE with the taper pin A2 front site assembly with the detachable carry handle/rear site assembly chambered in 6.5 Grendel.  But .... I am Left Handed.  Underground Tactical of Texas has what I dream about.  Plus also maybe the build experience.

All it takes is $MONEY$  That plus a few LH Stag Arms parts.  Hee hee hee.  :)

www.undergroundtactical.com

Edited by HB of CJ

Get a charter Pathfinder combo that comes with 22mag and 22 long rifle. However I did vote for the SLRcause they look pretty

Charter Arms' reputation is pretty lacking.

I was looking at the S&W 650 with dual cylinders in .22LR/.22WMR.

But they want a fortune for those old beauties.

Same for those sweet Colt Trooper Mk III's.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Well W8lifter, you and my wife agreed with the latter choice.

But she went all the way and helped me blow my wad, she requested ammo cans to help get rid of some clutter.

10 x Fat Fifty Cal, new ammo cans

1 x Harris Bipod, SBRM, 6"-9"

1 x Bipod lock for swivel

1 x Magpul stock, STR, milspec

1 x Bulgarian AK47/74, black canvas sling

2 x Beretta CX4 30rd magazines

1 x Beretta CX4 Tri-Rail

1 x 1000 round case - 9mm CCI Blazer Brass 124 gr FMJ

• Like 3