Examined one at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. The vendor was kind enough to allow me to field strip the gun, and remove the gas plug.

So, this is pretty much a dead on copy of a Saiga 12.

The notable differences were minor. Whoever commissioned the production of this Chinese clone wanted to make sure the copy was physically the same as the original.

No idea regarding actual parts quality - but the parts appear to be either direct cast downs, or forged and machined copies of the Russian originals. 

As memory serves, the manufacturer markings are Wuxi Machine Works, China, and the guns bear an importers mark from Cherry's Guns, North Carolina. Can't be absolutely sure, but I was surprised to see an S12 clone I hadn't heard about, and did my best to make mental notes.

I did not remove the stock but removed the dust cover, recoil spring, bolt carrier/ bolt assembly (as far as I could tell, identical to Russian),  and  felt around at the rear of the receiver.

The rear of the receiver felt flat, not slanted, so I'm guessing the rear of the receiver is straight and not slanted. 

I did not remove the hand guard, but aside from the Russian factory checkering, it appears identical to the Russian factory hand guard.

Notable differences were two relief ports rear top of the gas block, and an indent on the forward side piston itself. These were  the  only  differences I observed. There may be others.

The relief port on the Russian factory IZ-109 is at the rear left hand side of the gas block, and is at least partially (and inexplicably) blocked by the factory hand guard. Presumably, the Chinese clone relief ports are meant to remedy this issue. 

I would not have put them there because - "eyes".  But, I haven't shot the gun, so I don't know if this is an issue.

• Like 5

Thank you, Spacehog.

Thought about buying one personally, but currently have several builds on the bench, and in queue.

Physically, the gun looks just like a Saiga 12, and initial impression of build quality is generally good. But, until I get my hands on one and put it through its paces will reserve judgement.

• Like 2

Ya excellent info! Much appreciated.

I knew someone out there would shed some light on the subject...

I just wish they were cheap enough to justify buying!

Could we call that USA importer and get any info outta them or would that be an exercise in futility

These Chinese doppelgangers are just that it seems(I'm being negative in hopes of being pleasantly surprised). A sad imitation of the real thing, to put it in the proverbial way, to separate a fool from his money....

There just seems no interest from the Chinese to make the critical parts with steel instead of play dough or whatever

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Does it shoot steel shot?

I'm not sure it is all that much of a concern with thicker barrels in low end shotguns, assuming nothing smaller than a 0/0 choke is used. Steel shot does not compress like lead will. Aside from running it through a choke that is smaller than the bore, I think the "no steel shot" warning has more to do with liability and trial lawyers. I'm not an expert on the matter though. Dig around elsewhere and you will learn a lot about it.

Well, I see it a bit differently that most. I figure if I can afford to shoot it enough to damage it I can afford to replace it. The way guns are moving I would expect it to end up coming in fairly cheap.

I don't recall any of the prior versions coming in slant back. Perhaps this is a new player?

Looks like a square-back slipped inside the stock, IMO.
It's so nice to be right once in a while!

This is the oldest country on the planet?

5,000 years old because they copied better ideas than they could think about under their government.

It's either that or intelligence. I think all people are made in God's Image.

Edited by Sim_Player

Well, I see it a bit differently that most. I figure if I can afford to shoot it enough to damage it I can afford to replace it. The way guns are moving I would expect it to end up coming in fairly cheap.

I am a big pheasant hunter and have cases on cases of steel that's why I asked

Modern bird shot rides in a plastic shot cup. Couple that with a chrome lined bore and you shouldn't have much to worry about.

This topic has been argued quite a few times on here.

This is a good point and I think I may get one

Modern bird shot rides in a plastic shot cup. Couple that with a chrome lined bore and you shouldn't have much to worry about.

To add to that, loads that are not cupped are uncommon and are usually buck. Most from about 5-6 shot and smaller will be cupped. However, the main issue, as I understand it, is that the steel does not compress like lead will when a choke is used. The shot touching the bore is less of a concern in lower end guns like this. In a $20k shotgun, extended use with non-cupped steel shot may actually lead to a condition in the bore that would affect resale value. 

To add to that, loads that are not cupped are uncommon and are usually buck. Most from about 5-6 shot and smaller will be cupped. However, the main issue, as I understand it, is that the steel does not compress like lead will when a choke is used. The shot touching the bore is less of a concern in lower end guns like this. In a $20k shotgun, extended use with non-cupped steel shot may actually lead to a condition in the bore that would affect resale value.

I agree. The biggest concern is the choke being used.

just another Chinese copy made out of God knows what metals.

...here we go again.

Even so, I'd like to have one to break. Took me about an hour to break a Catamount Fury II.

I'll bet you didn't have to try very hard!

...here we go again.

Even so, I'd like to have one to break. Took me about an hour to break a Catamount Fury II.

It took almost exactly an hour. It ran weak loads just fine, a lot of them. A couple of mags of 3" did it in. I can repair it fairly easily, but have so much other work to do that it just waits patiently in its bin.

...here we go again.

It took almost exactly an hour. It ran weak loads just fine, a lot of them. A couple of mags of 3" did it in. I can repair it fairly easily, but have so much other work to do that it just waits patiently in its bin.

What quit on it?