Barrel life is only 5-10 seconds of actual bullet time in the barrel.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/02/a-few-seconds-at-best-the-short-operating-life-of-barrels/
A fascinating read!

Of course there is some discussion on what constitutes a worn out barrel or how much degradation of accuracy is acceptable.
Huge differences in what is acceptable, or even measurable, between an accuracy competitor demanding single hole grouping and you or I expecting 1 MOA or even a sub-MOA clover leaf group.
Most of us will find our rifle barrels shooting acceptable accuracy well beyond their "...a “long-lived” .308 Win that goes 5000 rounds before losing accuracy, then you get a whopping TEN seconds of barrel life."

A Krieger barrel costs approx  $37.00 per second.

A 5000 round .308 barrel shooting 168gr bullets is good for 120#s of bullets going through the barrel... In 10 seconds.

How long is a 30 caliber 120 pound projectile?
How large is the case to hold 217,000 grains (31#) of powder?
How big a chamber is needed to hold the case and the 120 pound bullet?

And when it fires and pushes that bullet out the barrel in 10 seconds the barrel is worn out. And you still don't have it zeroed.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

If anyone is brave enough to click that link and there is actually a phone number somewhere in it and not a virus, please start a thread in GD with the phone number of the company so we can spam the snot out of them with calls asking how much they charge to repair Cobra .380 pistols.

• Like 3

This is part of why I love powder coated cast lead. Barrel life is functionally infinite. And I can afford to shoot in volumes that have a chance of wearing out barrels. Double win.

Admittedly, I am choosing calibers and loads which keep the pressures as low as I can per velocity. i.e. 300 BO supersonic 125s getting comparable ballistics to 7.62x39. All the advantages of cheap steel jacketed stuff, for cost, but immeasurable barrel wear.

If anyone is brave enough to click that link and there is actually a phone number somewhere in it and not a virus, please start a thread in GD with the phone number of the company so we can spam the snot out of them with calls asking how much they charge to repair Cobra .380 pistols.

Why not one better. We have to have someone here in the Seattle area, who can show up in person and suggest to their sales manager that he is a fool, that he has committed a crime, and that no one would ever do business with him on the basis of his hiring an obvious spambot.