What is Most Important in Self-Defense Ammo

im really suprised no one linked to this yet'

Best chices for self defense ammo:
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

considered by many to be the bible of defense rounds

above all as many have said reliability in your specific handgun is of the upmost important. if it dosnt go bang it dosnt matter whats in there, if it works in one of your guns dosnt mean it will in the other.

my baby eagle seems to really like gold dots, my xdm like federal hst.

First mention of it I have seen, nice work and great education but very conservative by design.

More telling what is not tested than what is since all these rounds have been tested to death by so many people.

Not to mention, and this is just me, not one of them much good if the bad guy wears a vest. I wonder about that.

Most gun shops I go to would be totally cool with you trying on a gun and holster combo. As long as they made a sell. It would be a dick move to window shop in that manner.

But from my experience it's easy to shoot or easy to carry. Pick one. Although the small guns tendencies to be hard to shoot well can almost always be over come. I actually shoot smaller groups with my lcr shooting 357 than 38. I don't know why that is. Maybe a concerted effort in terms of grip, sight alignment, and trigger pull since I know it's going to kick like a mule on meth.

And as far as carry gun I hands down recommend a small 38 or 357 if you don't mind the little bit of extra weight. they carry great in almost any method andwith training you can shoot them very well. Also they don't jam. Check out the smith and wesson 642 or 442 pro. they come cut for moonclips and with no lock and case hardened internals not the MIM parts of the production guns. The trigger is very good on these guns. I have both. And i prefer the Smith trigger over the LCR that everyone seems to think is the be all end all of snubnose triggers. I just couldn't justify the 800 bucks for the Smith airweight 357 and I really like the fact the lcr can fire 357 only weighs 5 oz more than the Smith340 and costs half as much.

I agree with a lot of this. And while I like the smith guns a lot better, I think the LCR/LCX is a more practical appliance. The plastics make it lighter and more comfortable to carry, and I found it very easy to shoot well with, which I can't really say for a J-frame. J-frames are good, but for me at least, they require a little more concentration than the average handgun. YMMV.

Most gun shops I go to would be totally cool with you trying on a gun and holster combo. As long as they made a sell. It would be a dick move to window shop in that manner.

But from my experience it's easy to shoot or easy to carry. Pick one. Although the small guns tendencies to be hard to shoot well can almost always be over come. I actually shoot smaller groups with my lcr shooting 357 than 38. I don't know why that is. Maybe a concerted effort in terms of grip, sight alignment, and trigger pull since I know it's going to kick like a mule on meth.

And as far as carry gun I hands down recommend a small 38 or 357 if you don't mind the little bit of extra weight. they carry great in almost any method andwith training you can shoot them very well. Also they don't jam. Check out the smith and wesson 642 or 442 pro. they come cut for moonclips and with no lock and case hardened internals not the MIM parts of the production guns. The trigger is very good on these guns. I have both. And i prefer the Smith trigger over the LCR that everyone seems to think is the be all end all of snubnose triggers. I just couldn't justify the 800 bucks for the Smith airweight 357 and I really like the fact the lcr can fire 357 only weighs 5 oz more than the Smith340 and costs half as much.

I agree with a lot of this. And while I like the smith guns a lot better, I think the LCR/LCX is a more practical appliance. The plastics make it lighter and more comfortable to carry, and I found it very easy to shoot well with, which I can't really say for a J-frame. J-frames are good, but for me at least, they require a little more concentration than the average handgun. YMMV.

Your spot on. But my lcr in 357 is 2oz heavier than my Smith tee with wood grips.

When it comes to pistol ammo its a crap shoot because of velocity.

For the most part no matter what you shoot it will take a few to stop someone motivated by adrenaline if they do stop.

Like I said sometimes they stop but most of the time they do not untill they are found blocks away or walk into an emergency room..

But one thing I can tell you is the gelatin never goes anywhere.

Let's face it pistols are not as effective as a modest to large caliber rifle but they are a lot more convenient .

We talk about different rounds of ammo but there is a wider type of target types out there, fat, tall, body builder ect....

Maybe 2 in the head and 1 in the body.

I've been thinking about this a long while.

My wife is going to be getting a pistol before june, and many of the locals were pushing a revolver. I borrowed a shield last year in 9mm and she didnt like how snappy it was, so that was a bonus, now she will be trying out the compacts instead of the subs.

She's kinda stuck with 9mm, as i can reload practice ammo and its my carry. I like commonality, keeps things cleaner and less items to stock.

For a 9mm, see if you can rent a Kahr CM9 to try out. I like mine very much.

I had a local gunsmith smooth out the sharp edge at the top/front of the ejection port, and he polished the trigger action while he had it. It is even better now!  :up:

I had a local gunsmith smooth out the sharp edge at the top/front of the ejection port, and he polished the trigger action while he had it. It is even better now! :up:

Her brother wants her to get a xd, I'm inclined for fn, as then she can use my mags. Buts its up to her, as long as its not Taurus or glock.

I had a local gunsmith smooth out the sharp edge at the top/front of the ejection port, and he polished the trigger action while he had it. It is even better now! 032.gif

Her brother wants her to get a xd, I'm inclined for fn, as then she can use my mags. Buts its up to her, as long as its not Taurus or glock.

My wife has an XD Mod 2 in 9mm...Loves the gun, quick to put on target with the fiber optic front sight. I shot the 9 I liked the XD also...

Are single stacks markedly easier to hide than double stacks or is it about the same? Like a CZ-75 carry version and a 1911 Commander model.

Edited by JDeko

Most encounters end without firing a shot. Attitude is as important as ammunition!

When forced to pull a defensive weapon, you MUST sell the fact that you WILL use it!

Cool, calm and quick, present your armed LUNATIC side -"I'm gonna be PISSED if I gotta clean this gun today MOTHERFUCKER!".

The ammo has to go BANG- YOU have to present yourself as READY and DANGEROUS to fuck with.

On topic, single stacks have a slimmer butt, easier to hide.

I've been thinking about this a long while.

My wife is going to be getting a pistol before june, and many of the locals were pushing a revolver. I borrowed a shield last year in 9mm and she didnt like how snappy it was, so that was a bonus, now she will be trying out the compacts instead of the subs.

She's kinda stuck with 9mm, as i can reload practice ammo and its my carry. I like commonality, keeps things cleaner and less items to stock.

You can get an lcr in 9mm. Most really small 9mms are going to be pretty snappy.

I suggest revolvers most of the time.I equate revolvers to automatic cars, and automatic handguns to a 5speed, to drive a 5 speed you have to be into it. You have to want to drive the thing. Anyone can drive a simple automatic car. They are simple and easy. A revolver is simple and easy. You know if it's loaded easily you don't have to "drive" the gun if it has a malfunction just pull the trigger again. And for women they can fire from a purse or in a struggle with a bad guy.

Chances are women are typically attacked because it's a sex crime or kidnapping. In that situation a revolver will fire if grabbed by the attacker. And keep firing.

• Like 2

I will offer one piece of advise when it comes to women and a carry weapon, ignore it at your own peril.

Get what they will carry and forget everything else.

If they will carry a 22mag or a 32auto but wont always carry the 9mm or do not "like" it the one they like and carry always wins.

Anyone ever check the caliber of a pistol pointed at them or is all you see is a "GUN". Yeah 

• Like 3

I will offer one piece of advise when it comes to women and a carry weapon, ignore it at your own peril.

If they will carry a 22mag or a 32auto but wont always carry the 9mm or do not "like" it the one they like and carry always wins.

Anyone ever check the caliber of a pistol pointed at them or is all you see is a "GUN". Yeah

This is spot on. Unless the gun has replica written on the side, and not 50AE.

If you get the reference we can be friends.

• Like 2

To add to that, it is a good idea to really get down to the reality of how she will carry. We (my wife and I) got all tied up and invested into on-person carry for her, and after it was all said and done, she decided she wanted to carry in her purse. We went from Walther P22 to Glock G17. Yes, the G17 was her idea and she actually manipulated it and shot it better than the P22. Remembering to always flip the safety of the P22 really gave her a fit. I have to admit it did get me a few times as well. Having Glocks for 22 years, I'm just not used to having any other safety than the boogerhook. Anyway, when I realized she was absolutely not going to carry on-person and it really didn't matter what she was going to carry in that event, the idea of having a larger round, more capacity and more firearm to hold on to was logical.

This is spot on. Unless the gun has replica written on the side, and not 50AE.

If you get the reference we can be friends.

One of the best movies ever.

Deafen'em to death

Edited by Mullet Man

I have helped a buddy of mine teach some firearms classes, and the number one problem people have is the draw. Your concealed firearm is no use to you if you can't pull the damn thing out. When we run drills, it amazes me how long people take to locate and draw their weapon. Practice. Pick a good concealment holster, whether it be on your appendix, small of the back, ankle, whatever...just pick a consistent place to carry and practice drawing from that location. Many times, just the presentation of a firearm will prevent whatever is about to happen to you. You don't have to be Doc Holiday, but at least be able to confidently draw your firearm. This will also tell the bad guy that you are not effing around. 

Shot a CZ-75 D Compact yesterday and it felt really good in my hand and pointed pretty naturally. I'd be worried though that it being double-stack and having that hump on the grip might make it sorta hard to hide[?]

• Like 1

You really just have to set up the firearm as you're going to carry it, then try on different clothes and look in a mirror to see what "prints" and what doesn't. It just takes practice. When you're in front of the mirror, mimic different positions and see what "prints." Reach up like you're getting something from a shelf. Bend forward, kneel down, do the hokey-pokey if you want... but check to see where and how it shows, if at all.

Loose polar-fleece jackets are GREAT for hiding things, because they're baggy anyway, so most people wouldn't notice a "bump" here or there.  wink.png

Especially if your gun has rubber grips, you'll find some materials cling to it, while others slide off. Watch for that!

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

*anyone gunshy. This includes people like my brother. The thing is if you get anyone carrying or shooting regularly, they will stop being afraid of it soon and then choose a more practical gun anyway. So get them what makes them comfortable that meets minimum reliability and safety.

Here we are talking about you, and what you will carry with your preference for wierd stuff. I can say that I carry my little pocket size .380 most because I have to wear suits and it literally is so small I forget I am carrying it. I prefer a slightly larger pistol in 9mm luger, but the one I will always carry does trump the one I sometimes carry.

Shot a CZ-75 D Compact yesterday and it felt really good in my hand and pointed pretty naturally. I'd be worried though that it being double-stack and having that hump on the grip might make it sorta hard to hide[?]

CZ makes nice guns. However I think every brand lies. "Compact" isn't compact. subcompact is compact. "Pocket" is about right. Try the sig 938, the wather PPS & PPQ, and the S&W sheild. Try the Taurus TCP and the second gen Ruger LCP. ask to put them in your waistband and in your pocket. Be honest about whether it digs into your side or makes your pants fall down. Those will effect how often or how practically you carry. Smaller is just plain more comfortable.

• Like 1

*anyone gunshy. This includes people like my brother. The thing is if you get anyone carrying or shooting regularly, they will stop being afraid of it soon and then choose a more practical gun anyway. So get them what makes them comfortable that meets minimum reliability and safety.

Here we are talking about you, and what you will carry with your preference for wierd stuff. I can say that I carry my little pocket size .380 most because I have to wear suits and it literally is so small I forget I am carrying it. I prefer a slightly larger pistol in 9mm luger, but the one I will always carry does trump the one I sometimes carry.

CZ makes nice guns. However I think every brand lies. "Compact" isn't compact. subcompact is compact. "Pocket" is about right. Try the sig 938, the wather PPS & PPQ, and the S&W sheild. Try the Taurus TCP and the second gen Ruger LCP. ask to put them in your waistband and in your pocket. Be honest about whether it digs into your side or makes your pants fall down. Those will effect how often or how practically you carry. Smaller is just plain more comfortable.

I think what you have said hear is very true.

The wife started with a 40S&W M&PC and went ro a 380 colt mustang because it was lighter.

It's a work in progress but she has it with her all the time.

• Like 2