Questions on barrel size and threading 308-223

I want to thread my 223 and 308 but have a couple questions and trying to figure out what size tap to go with and what will work on my Barrel diameter. Or will my barrel need to be turned down first

1. My Saiga 223 barrel is 15.01 mm or .592 inch

2. Still working on 308 front site to get off but what diameter does the Barrel need to be for a 5/8x24 or the 14x1

• Like 1

So if you have .875mm extra on that barrel you can thread it for 5/8-24  (I converted .625")  Total conversion measurement is 5/8=.625'=15.875mm

(Edit)  Unless I'm forgetting something.  How much material does 5/8-24 need anyway?

Edited by ShadowFire

How can you cut 15mm on a barrel if the max for a 14/1 die is 13.98??

lol  Well push comes to shove, remove barrel pin, pull barrel, insert it into a lathe, dial in concentricity, mark proper length, insert threading tool, select proper settings (Speeds and feeds baby.), turn it.  Check threads with thread gauge, remove from lathe, repress barrel, insert barrel pin.

There is always a way when you have enough material.  :)

But most just wanna use a die.  It's understandable.  Don't forget your Tap Magic and to make sure your threads are concentric to the center of the bore before you start tapping.

lol Well push comes to shove, remove barrel pin, pull barrel, insert it into a lathe, dial in concentricity, mark proper length, insert threading tool, select proper settings (Speeds and feeds baby.), turn it. Check threads with thread gauge, remove from lathe, repress barrel, insert barrel pin.

There is always a way when you have enough material. :)

But most just wanna use a die. It's understandable. Don't forget your Tap Magic and to make sure your threads are concentric to the center of the bore before you start tapping.

My wife's uncle is a machinist. He was able to Chuck my whole rifle in his lathe and thread it. He does have a very large lathe though. And experience doing unusual work.

• Like 2

Go to DinZag site.

He is a sponsor here.  He has all the info on how to thread as well as the specs for the dies and barrel size.  Good info to check out if you buy or not.  All though always good to support sponsors when you can.

lol Well push comes to shove, remove barrel pin, pull barrel, insert it into a lathe, dial in concentricity, mark proper length, insert threading tool, select proper settings (Speeds and feeds baby.), turn it. Check threads with thread gauge, remove from lathe, repress barrel, insert barrel pin.

There is always a way when you have enough material. smile.png

But most just wanna use a die. It's understandable. Don't forget your Tap Magic and to make sure your threads are concentric to the center of the bore before you start tapping.

My wife's uncle is a machinist. He was able to Chuck my whole rifle in his lathe and thread it. He does have a very large lathe though. And experience doing unusual work.

Sounds like he has something with about a 3" or larger spindle bore. I hope to have a machine with a spindle bore that large someday. It would greatly simplify a lot of the odd barrel threading that I get.

• Like 1

There is always a way when you have enough material. smile.png

Sounds like he has something with about a 3" or larger spindle bore. I hope to have a machine with a spindle bore that large someday. It would greatly simplify a lot of the odd barrel threading that I get.

It's big. Last time I was over there he had a 450pound piece he had machined. It started at 700 pounds. I was pretty amazed. He had to use an engine hoist to set the stock in the lathe

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

You don't need anything quite that big.  The gunsmith who has done most of my threading chucks up the rear of the receiver in a 4 jaw chuck and indicates the barrel to true.  It works well with a square backed AK with a flush Ace style trunnion or receiver block.  A friend had him do a Robinson VEPR and we had to press the barrel out of that one first due to the slant cut receiver.

Mine ended up being 9/16-24RH instead of 5/8 in order to provide an adequate shoulder for a QD silencer mount. 

I think his lathe is about a 12x36 with an inch and a half or so spindle bore.

308redo6.jpg

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1