Magwell Help

So I have had an S12 for several years and I think that the one thing that I would change is the magazine functionality.. 

I shoot a lot of AR now.. and have really grown tired of rock and lock style mag changes.. 

There are mag wells out there that will "drop free"? 

what kind of options do I have?

thanks in advance... 

No help on yoyr question. But have you tried the csspec mags? They rock and lock. But for a s12 there the best you can get. And they are steel.

I REALLY like those.. but I am not sure about that weird blade like spine down the back of the mag.. 

If you search around on here, you will find 2 to 3 methods for adding a magwell and using magwell-intended mags, or actually modifying regular mags to work.

As far as drop-free, the videos of them show them dropping free

I have searched.. and I ran across things that still exist.. and things that never came to market.. and things that no longer are available.. that is why I am looking for some current input...

I have a TAC47 magwell and a lot of mags for it, including the very rare clear SGMs. The magwell was free to me, so it would be free to you if you buy the mags. It worked great, I just prefer the Russian 8 round mags and I wasn't about to mod expensive Russian 8 rounders to work with the magwell. It has been a while since I looked at that stuff, so let me know if you are interested and I'll see what all I have exactly in regards to ready to run mags.

I have a TAC47 magwell and a lot of mags for it, including the very rare clear SGMs. The magwell was free to me, so it would be free to you if you buy the mags. It worked great, I just prefer the Russian 8 round mags and I wasn't about to mod expensive Russian 8 rounders to work with the magwell. It has been a while since I looked at that stuff, so let me know if you are interested and I'll see what all I have exactly in regards to ready to run mags.

Ask and receive

• Like 1

I've been pretty happy with my JTE aluminum magwell. There is a very slight rock on seating. I think it holds the mags in a stronger way than some of the other options. The SGM "competition" s12 mags will generally work on those without alteration, as SGM cloned its plastic magwell geometry off of those.

If I were doing it all over again on a saiga, I think I would buy or modify a magwell to make it work with the V12 mags. I think those are going to be the de-facto standard going forward.

You can tune the JTE magwell to be drop free, or tug free depending on taste. I go for a snug drop free to minimize rattle and let the mags wear in. If I dip the barrel a little as I hit the release they drop free every time, but held perfectly level on target, I would say about 80%. Just personal taste in the fitting. A little less racy, but a little more solid.

I like this magwell better than The R&R because it is not huge and long, and is about half the cost. SGM makes no sense to me since the aluminum one costs the same. Tac47 is kinda neat, but I would plastic weld some extra material on each mag to support the rib where the catch engages. I think overall their mag fitting and control layout is the slickest, but the lack of structure there is a significant flaw.

glad to see you respond.. you gave me good advice sometime back on the 14in barrel

I was really considering the Russian ones but just not sure.. I thought I would be better off with the magwell.. are the Russian mags really that good? or just an authentic kind of thing?

I appreciate the offer on the tac47 and will definitely keep it in mind, but not sold

I've been pretty happy with my JTE aluminum magwell. There is a very slight rock on seating. I think it holds the mags in a stronger way than some of the other options. The SGM "competition" s12 mags will generally work on those without alteration, as SGM cloned its plastic magwell geometry off of those.

If I were doing it all over again on a saiga, I think I would buy or modify a magwell to make it work with the V12 mags. I think those are going to be the de-facto standard going forward.

You can tune the JTE magwell to be drop free, or tug free depending on taste. I go for a snug drop free to minimize rattle and let the mags wear in. If I dip the barrel a little as I hit the release they drop free every time, but held perfectly level on target, I would say about 80%. Just personal taste in the fitting. A little less racy, but a little more solid.

I like this magwell better than The R&R because it is not huge and long, and is about half the cost. SGM makes no sense to me since the aluminum one costs the same. Tac47 is kinda neat, but I would plastic weld some extra material on each mag to support the rib where the catch engages. I think overall their mag fitting and control layout is the slickest, but the lack of structure there is a significant flaw.

thank you very much for the detailed feedback..

when you run a magwell that uses no front catch.. like the JTE.. what the hell keeps the mag in?

when you run a magwell that uses no front catch.. like the JTE.. what the hell keeps the mag in?

Just the rear catch.  The mag can't rock, it can only go up and down due to it being surrounded by the mag well

• Like 1

Just the rear catch.  The mag can't rock, it can only go up and down due to it being surrounded by the mag well

ah OK thanks.. 

so you can use any normal S12 mag.. and you just remove the front?

• 2 months later...

Late to the party but am interested in seeing how this turned out.   Just ran my Saiga in a match for the first time and the "rock the mag" thing sucks. I need an easier and faster way to get the mags back in the gun.

A couple other additions for competition would be helpful as well. 

-Extended mag release. That looks like an easy fix by bending and riveting or bolting a piece of metal on the existing mag release

-I have an AR carbine stock on a buffer tube. 60 rounds of buckshot left my shoulder bruised and battered. A Limb Saver pad or recoil absorbing stock would help.

-My Saiga was bought in 2001 and the barrel cut down to 19". Consequently it doesn't have a threaded barrel. Adding a compensator might be helpful for faster followup shots but I would either have to thread the barrel or use a clamp on comp. The clamp on ones I've been able to find tend to be expensive.

-Need a rail that will hold both sights and an Optic.  One phase of the match I shot was slugs out to 100 yards. I wasted a lot of slugs trying to hit knock downs with the bead on my Saiga. Although to be honest I just should have used my rifle sighted slug gun for that.

Edited by mac66

with some mods  to the mags, yes. He used to sell a different version based specifically around the AGP mags. Somewhere there is a drawing of a relief that you can file into the inside rear of the mag to make the current one match, but I would prefer to tweak the mags instead.

with some mods  to the mags, yes. He used to sell a different version based specifically around the AGP mags. Somewhere there is a drawing of a relief that you can file into the inside rear of the mag to make the current one match, but I would prefer to tweak the mags instead.

It looks like one has to file down the front lip of the mags so they will slide in straight. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something different about them. I don't want to start cutting those expensive mags only to find they won't work for some other reason.

Late to the party but am interested in seeing how this turned out.   Just ran my Saiga in a match for the first time and the "rock the mag" thing sucks. I need an easier and faster way to get the mags back in the gun.

-Extended mag release. That looks like an easy fix by bending and riveting or bolting a piece of metal on the existing mag release

-I have an AR carbine stock on a buffer tube. 60 rounds of buckshot left my shoulder bruised and battered. A Limb Saver pad or recoil absorbing stock would help.

-My Saiga was bought in 2001 and the barrel cut down to 19". Consequently it doesn't have a threaded barrel. Adding a compensator might be helpful for faster followup shots but I would either have to thread the barrel or use a clamp on comp. The clamp on ones I've been able to find tend to be expensive.

-Need a rail that will hold both sights and an Optic.  One phase of the match I shot was slugs out to 100 yards. I wasted a lot of slugs trying to hit knock downs with the bead on my Saiga. Although to be honest I just should have used my rifle sighted slug gun for that.

you may never see how this comes out.. I sent the gun to a gunsmith who at one time was highly respected.. and now has virtually fallen off the face of the earth.. the police are involved but even that appears to be a struggle.. it sucks.. a gun I had forever.. I may never see again.. 

you may never see how this comes out.. I sent the gun to a gunsmith who at one time was highly respected.. and now has virtually fallen off the face of the earth.. the police are involved but even that appears to be a struggle.. it sucks.. a gun I had forever.. I may never see again.. 

Well that indeed sucks.

On my own issues I have discovered the JTE and SGM both make magwells based on the SGM surefire mags which will work in either.  The JTE well is metal, the SGM well is plastic. The JTE well requires modification of the SGM mags while the SGM doesn't. 

That means I would likely have to buy all new SGM mags to use a mag well. That kinda sucks.

I am now looking at making my own mag well which will simply guide my AGP mags into the gun easier without having to modify the mags. Basically just lets me hit the hole in bottom faster but still have to rock the mag to seat it. 

Edited by mac66

The "competition" mags from SGM work in the JTE magwell without mods. SGM's geometry is copied straight off of the JTE. Honestly I cannot think of a reason to ever buy the SGM magwell given the choice. They cost the same, but one is plastic.