Tapco G2 Trigger Problems.

Hi all, 

Just finished fitting my Timberline furniture to my Saiga 308 and after thinking what a sh*t show that was, felt relieved to finally be getting on to putting in the trigger.  Test fit the hammer, and as expected needed to grind the front of the G2 hammer to clear the crossbar enough to fully extend into striking position.  Much to my delight, everything came together with a satisfying click.  The joy was short lived however, because the match seemed a little short, and I found that by roughly side bumping the works, I could get it to fire. 

I also simulated engaging the safety (no proper lever yet) and upon removing safety, when it would roll into the hooks, it would just skip, causing the hammer to just keep going until it hit the crossbar (not intended, I know it shouldn't be dry fired into that of course).  I want to add that I chose the double hook option, so I used a dremel to index the bottom of the receiver for the second hook.  No other mods were performed to the receiver.

There is a part of me that thinks that if I shave down a little on the tab of the trigger that meets the web between the two hook reliefs in the receiver I might be able to get the hooks to engage further.  Stupid Idea?  What could be causing the issue?

Any help appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Sort of hard to understand what your saying but I know on the saiga 308 triggers group you need to add a little bit of length to the end of the safety tab that hits the trigger or you need to add a like a 3/16 tab to the back side of the trigger were it meets the safety lever. If you want send me a message with your email or phone number and I can send you a picture of the trigger that Danzig makes

With the double hook trigger the right side (as if you were shooting it) needs the corner cut off. If you notice the left side of the trigger cut out there is a notch to allow the trigger to clear..the bottom right side of the trigger hook should be cut at 45 degree to compensate for the lack of a relief cut. I'm having trouble uploading a picture so instead hers a link to a picture. Hope it helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Taco+double+hook+mod&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&hl=en&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8kr_U97LTAhXIy4MKHXxSByEQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=Tapco+double+hook+mod&imgrc=YiGwdTm_17k9UM:

Sometimes on the .308 the cutout in the bottom of the receiver for the trigger is too wide, which will let the trigger move from side to side.  It's possible it might move far enough for the hammer to drop.  On this picture of mine, you can see how much wider than the trigger the cutout was (and most of it still is), and a couple spots on each side at the front of the trigger where I added some more material and then filed/ground it to fit. Trigger is RSA adjustable.

308redo2.jpg

I wasn't having the same issue as you are, but under some conditions the trigger would drift far enough to one side to lock up the action.

Edited by Netpackrat