GF - If you are stuck with a compressor that is too small, find a broken one with a good tank, or even a few BBQ tanks will work! Increasing the volume of stored air will allow the undersized compressor to store enough air to do a larger job. As a benefit, the larger volume will result in cooler, dryer air that is better for paint guns.

Thanks for the tip. I am aware of those type of things, but I don't paint that often, and frankly I need to reduce my pile of stuff for the upcoming wedding move. I want simple and effective for now. Later, when I am owning instead of renting, I want the perfect tinkerer's shop setup.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andersons are $35/ea today from Primary 

Ever seen a barrel headspace​ wrong on in spec ar15 parts? Doubt it. Most people just want a decent rifle not a nra high-power comp gun. Building an ar15 is super easy and can be done with some wood b

Not everyone is a ham fisted hack, and insulting those who CAN  and DO roll their own is pretty damned arrogant....   ...and many, many more,...but you get the idea...   My 80% Polymer80 build m

I mean I have a lot of tools, furniture, clothing, paintball gear, firearms stuff, reloading stuff, office stuff. I have a wedding in August, and I will have to move all of my possessions. I mostly have things I want to keep, but they all have to fit in a place we can afford, and the fewer new things I add, the less burden on my fiance. So I won't be making bulky new tools for a small project. If anything, I have to get rid of things I would prefer to keep.

Sad but worth it.

I have been thinking of building a AR 15 what is a good 80% lower to start with? I would ask a AR forum but i never get a good answer. So i am asking you all.

hey since it seems like I've thread jacked you, any progress on your build?

So are you saying I shouldn't get a PSA? 

I realize I'm really late to the party here, but there is absolutely no reason not to buy from PSA. Their FN-barreled Premium series is right up there with Colt, LMT, BCM, etc. I can't speak from experience for their nitrided line but reports have been pretty overwhelmingly favorable. My buddy just ordered one of their nitrided 10.5s yesterday that we're planning on putting through its paces on my SBR lower before he decides to suppress it. 

PSA used to get flack back in the day because they grew too fast and their customer service and QC suffered for it. That just isn't the case anymore. 

• Like 2

So are you saying I shouldn't get a PSA? 

I realize I'm really late to the party here, but there is absolutely no reason not to buy from PSA. Their FN-barreled Premium series is right up there with Colt, LMT, BCM, etc. I can't speak from experience for their nitrided line but reports have been pretty overwhelmingly favorable. My buddy just ordered one of their nitrided 10.5s yesterday that we're planning on putting through its paces on my SBR lower before he decides to suppress it. 

PSA used to get flack back in the day because they grew too fast and their customer service and QC suffered for it. That just isn't the case anymore. 

I have had BCM, Noveske, Centurion and could get whatever I want, but PSA is my go-to place to recommend/shop. No one comes close to the balance of quality and value they offer. I check for assembly related things like indexing, correct if needed, and enjoy.  

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I got a couple drafts of the gun together, with a few place holder parts, and the final piece that Spacehog generously gave me. I have only had 3-4 chances to shoot it, but it seems to be doing acceptably so far. 

I also have a box marked to send some stuff to him, that I need to unpack and find, but that's another issue.

mmpwrIY.jpg

To show interior finish. I had to use a thin end mill with a lot of stick out, which did a bit of the tuning fork thing. Still made very clean dimensionally correct parts. By the time I cut this particular lower, there was a dull corner on one flute, so there was a bit of galling to the surface finish on this lower. the speeds and feeds were creeping right along. I made a lot of aluminum powder, and had long cut time, but the result is okay for me. I'm far from a production shop, and the parts fit great. Next time, we will shorten the shank on the end mill a little to stiffen it up, and it will probably last a very long time. 

iVvXClb.jpg

My brother is going to help me with some fancy engraving later, but for now, I put on some silly markings for the fun of it.

6xKVG3J.jpg

Link to gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/yuqBd

Actually, though I didn't include the pictures, the main project was rigging up the fixture such that it could do repeatable mounts, and also be converted to hold the lowers flat on either side for engraving. Since engraving or 3d carving of artwork is generally done with a V cutter, it is very picky about Z axis runout. My brother machines a lot of jewelry with unbelieveably fine detail. That's what I'm really going for. I want to be able to do really cool detail on random lowers whenever I feel like it. So I had to make the fixture able to hold the part very flat, and adjust for parts with a little variance to them. We did some engravings of information on the cali lowers  a cali person did last christmas holiday, and the fixture worked great for that. (His stuff is all grandfathered into cali and private, completely compliant now and for the future changes.) The text we cut would have shown any problems with the fixtures, and there weren't any. 

I'm trying to talk my brother into putting some of his artwork onto raw 80% Lowers and selling them. It would be a shame if the purchasers do a crappy job and scrap the part after the detail work is cut in to the paperweights, but that is the only way I can see avoiding any FFL transfer type problems for what would probably be more of a hobby than business.