80% lowers can be done by any novice who uses the jig that allows you to mill and drill correctly .

That said, the jig does cost extra, so much for saving money.

This I why I said it is mostly done for the fun of it and yes I would trust all my 80% builds they run flawless

• Like 3
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andersons are $35/ea today from Primary 

Ever seen a barrel headspace​ wrong on in spec ar15 parts? Doubt it. Most people just want a decent rifle not a nra high-power comp gun. Building an ar15 is super easy and can be done with some wood b

Not everyone is a ham fisted hack, and insulting those who CAN  and DO roll their own is pretty damned arrogant....   ...and many, many more,...but you get the idea...   My 80% Polymer80 build m

So are you saying I shouldn't get a PSA? 

Aero Precision makes nice stuff, and they are in your home state.

I recommend Aero Precision.  And since that doesn't mean much...  People who know a lot more about ARs than I do recommend Aero Precision. 

That's kind of an asinine reason on which to base a semi-major purchase.  Advertisers don't make the forum, the content creators (that would be us) make the forum.  Advertisers are simply allowed to hawk their wares here in exchange for financial support.  If I think they are providing a good value, then I might buy something from one of them.  If I don't, then I won't.  But it will have nothing to do with the fact that they are an advertiser here or anywhere else.

I was mostly joking. I've been eyeing complete uppers from PSA for a while. However, lately it looks like I can build closer to what I want piecemeal.

This is for a budget gun that will let me shoot a lot of 3 gun practice and a few matches. Emphasis on budget for now. I make the ammo so I'm stuck on the caliber.

So far I was looking at:

80% lower, because I have the stuff.

PSA  standard lower build parts, -- cause I have them. I'll do a bit of tuning

A lot of the other parts

From Delta Team Tactical or something like that

12" carbon fiber free float forend for ~$65

Aero no forward assist upper for ~ $80 unless I can find a better deal.

Faxon 16" light profile 300 BO barrel 1-8   - open to other light 16" 300 bo barrels which are either SS or stress relieved.

Adjustable gas block- not sure which brand 

Standard full auto profile NiBo bcg. -- Aim surplus? faxon? Delta? 

Basic CAR stock

Standard A2 grip since I have it. - Later umbrella corp, because I like them.

I have access to jigs, CNC, and life long fabrication skills. This is more correctly an assembly than a build. I'm confident it will be fine when I can spare the cash for the pieces. Business has been going well, but I have an impending wedding in the fall to save up for, so the build will definitely not be my first priority.

I'll put it all together straight, tight, and torqued properly.

I welcome your input, particularly on where to get things cheaper, but I will probably end up with something very close to that list.

• Like 1

I still want that last ride:  An AR15 retro A2 20" heavy barrel rifle.  Only in Left Hand and in 6.5 Grendel.  Pretty much found all the stuff I need.  Only the problem is I do not have the stuff necessary to build it.  But ... maybe I can beg borrow or "procure" the needful stuff.  Hee hee hee.  smile.png

Edit by HB:  On a directly related note I found a very nice cool Stainless Steel Fab bench at a friends house.  Heavy duty.  I can easy add adjustable height big wheels sosss it can roll across the shag carpet in the Man Cave.  Easily reinforce able to handle a nice vise, presses, etc.  I am happy.  :)

PS:  Lenix Mint 17 Speell Chzk is weird.

Edited by HB of CJ

6.5 Grendel. 

I've been bit by the Grendel bug myself.  A 20" 6.5 upper will be ordered soon from grendelhunter.com  I've heard great things about his uppers.  He uses good barrels, hand laps the uppers, and his prices are great.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got given an early wedding gift of evereything but the BCG and barrel wrench.

It's from delta team tactical. They have mixed reviews but the parts look okay.

This upper has a very light skeletonized keymod 12"  freefloat forend, JP style comp, .223 wylde 16" SS fluted barrel, standard m4 style upper.

May all be no name parts, but they seem well made. I suspect they will shoot just fine. It's not the 300 BO that I've been wanting, but it looks like it will be the .223 that would have looked needlessly nice a few years back.

I'll probably still be doing a 300 BO budget upper too.

• Like 1

This upper has a very light skeletonized keymod 12"  freefloat forend, JP style comp, .223 wylde 16" SS fluted barrel, standard m4 style upper.

May all be no name parts, but they seem well made. I suspect they will shoot just fine. It's not the 300 BO that I've been wanting, but it looks like it will be the .223 that would have looked needlessly nice a few years back.

Well your about to have a new NiB bolt and carrier on the way. Is you address the same? Congrats on getting married.

Well your about to have a new NiB bolt and carrier on the way. Is you address the same? Congrats on getting married.

Thanks. I'll be married at the end of August, unless she comes to her senses first. She's a great fit for me and I am very blessed to have the love of a woman who is so reasonable and stable (other than choosing me). We are doing everything we can to have any speedbumps and conflicts identified and resolved before they get run through the amplifier of lifetime commitment. So far it's amazingly smooth.

And thank you very much. I'm not very good at handling this kind of generosity, but I am very grateful. I'll PM you my address.

• Like 1

Get a pre-nup.

Personalities change, sometimes drastically. I know.

You may not think you need one, but if you get married without one and end up in a divorce, you'll lose half of EVERYTHING.

I've been married TWICE, and wish I had a pre-nup.

Edited by patriot

Thanks. I'll be married at the end of August, unless she comes to her senses first. She's a great fit for me and I am very blessed to have the love of a woman who is so reasonable and stable (other than choosing me). We are doing everything we can to have any speedbumps and conflicts identified and resolved before they get run through the amplifier of lifetime commitment. So far it's amazingly smooth.

And thank you very much. I'm not very good at handling this kind of generosity, but I am very grateful. I'll PM you my address.

Trust me you'll find new things to fight about as time goes on, but that is half the fun of being married. I hope you both experience a lifetime of love, commitment, and friendship together. As far as the generosity is concerned, pass it on when you feel moved to help someone.

Will do. I'm moved all the time, it's ability that has been lagging. Work has been picking up though, so that means generosity will too.

Lately, I mostly give away ammo or repair work, since I can make that within my means.

Oh and I believe you on the arguments. The only people who don't argue are the people who aren't doing things together they care about deeply. I plan to have a family that impacts the world. Raising the stakes definitely will raise the pressure on us. Even if we were somehow perfect, our familys can provide all the drama we need. We're both pretty good about resolving that stuff,but we all know relationships are onions... Fortunately I like onions.

• Like 1

Will do. I'm moved all the time, it's ability that has been lagging. Work has been picking up though, so that means generosity will too.

Lately, I mostly give away ammo or repair work, since I can make that within my means.

Oh and I believe you on the arguments. The only people who don't argue are the people who aren't doing things together they care about deeply. I plan to have a family that impacts the world. Raising the stakes definitely will raise the pressure on us. Even if we were somehow perfect, our familys can provide all the drama we need. We're both pretty good about resolving that stuff,but we all know relationships are onions... Fortunately I like onions.

Do not take this the wrong way but sometimes it's fried onions. Congratulations when I got married my pop said to me "Son this is the happiest day in your life........and your last" but he was jus kidding. Good luck and blessing to the both of you

• Like 2

I like fried onions too. 

Get a pre-nup.

You may not think you need one, but if you get married without one and end up in a divorce, you'll lose half of EVERYTHING.

That's planning to fail. I'm ALL in.

I won't even do prenups when people ask me to write or evaluate them. I don't like to turn work away, but I don't believe in a 95% commitment.

Stuff is replaceable, a marriage is not. I think if divorce was on the table, money is the least of the concerns.  Also every divorcee I know who fought to keep his stuff lost it, and his health. This includes my father. Those who just let the stuff go kept about half.

• Like 2

...or taking your time and making sure that emotion isn't guiding your decision to marry the first time. Principles are something that should not change. Finding someone whose principles and values are founded in the truth that marriage and fidelity is a lifelong commitment is desirable IMHO over a contract, which I also believe is acknowledging failure at the onset. I know this thread has gotten way off topic. That was not my intention, and I will say no more other than good luck GF and post up pics of your build when completed.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

I like fried onions too. 

Get a pre-nup.

That's planning to fail. I'm ALL in.

I won't even do prenups when people ask me to write or evaluate them. I don't like to turn work away, but I don't believe in a 95% commitment.

Stuff is replaceable, a marriage is not. I think if divorce was on the table, money is the least of the concerns.  Also every divorcee I know who fought to keep his stuff lost it, and his health. This includes my father. Those who just let the stuff go kept about half.

I could see a pre-nup being a good and honorable thing under certain circumstances...  Say for example a widower with children and significant assets from the prior marriage, may want one to protect the children's interests from the step parent.  Obviously there are other measures that can and should be taken to that end (trusts, etc), but a pre-nup may add an extra layer of protection.  In this case the party demanding a pre-nup isn't showing a lack of commitment, but rather is looking out for the interests of their minor children.

I wish one of my aunts had taken such measures when she re-married...  Her first husband was killed in a hunting accident when my cousin was still a baby.  His life insurance left them reasonably well-off, and then her second husband spent it all before divorcing her.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

Silly to work an 80% at the prices fully machined lowers are going for.

Have to agree here unless you have good reason to do an 80%.

I did an 80% forged lower recently, here were my thoughts shared elsewhere.

So, I got and completed my first 80% lower recently.  Someone asked about the experience so here is my opinion.

Would I do it again? ...Maybe.  The work wasn't hard but it was time consuming.
The whole process took me about 5 hours over the total of three evenings in the garage.  (I am sure the process gets faster the more you do.)  Plus I have a huge mess to clean up.  But that's my fault since I don't have a shop vac and forgot to borrow one from work.

I didn't have the tools other than the drill press.  Luckily, I was able to borrow a jig and router.  Total cost for me to have a lower has been $20 + whatever finishing is going to be.

For me it comes down to cost and time, if you are doing one (1) it just isn't cost effective if you don't happen to already own the tools.  Plus four to five hours to get it done.
If you plan on doing several or even a build party with friends then I can see the draw.

So, final thoughts.  
  • It was fun.  
  • I am glad I did it.
  • Being able to have everything shipped to your doorstep is awesome.
  • Doing only one is pricey.  
  • It's slightly time consuming.
  • It's messy.
  • I can see the benefits of having all the equipment and several inexpensive 80% lowers stashed away, for whatever.

28892824790_7aa5297b14_b.jpg
Double Snek by Damage Photos, on Flickr

29664221522_15963b0a21_b.jpg
DSC_0020 by Damage Photos, on Flickr
  • Like 1

I have the setup to do custom CNC engraving, and the tactical machining jig  with a few mods makes a good way to hold a screwy shaped part flat to engrave it. That alone makes the 80% method a plus for me. My gun is now 100% personalized. 

Right now primary arms is selling Anderson completed stripped lowers for $30. Tactical Machining .c om has 80% lowers and stripped uppers for $26 and $27 respectively.  So yes, money isn't the reason to make my own. Personalized, and not asking the govt's permission is.

I would tell non handy friends to buy a complete lower and then come to my house to have me look over their shoulder while assembling. 

I would tell handy friends who want a really cool lower to bring the 80% to my brother's CNC, and we will engrave it custom, while still a paper weight and let them do the mechanical cuts themselves on their own time.

• Like 2

I've also played with electrolytic etching too, which in some ways can be easier for complex curved shapes like on the upper. However that process gets ugly if the resist (think chemical resistant masking tape or stencil) comes un bonded. Further forged parts won't take chemical etching, plating or annodizing very well due to the chrystaline grain structure. Those look a lot nicer on parts milled from billet.

...or taking your time and making sure that emotion isn't guiding your decision to marry the first time. Principles are something that should not change. Finding someone whose principles and values are founded in the truth that marriage and fidelity is a lifelong commitment is desirable IMHO over a contract, which I also believe is acknowledging failure at the onset. I know this thread has gotten way off topic. That was not my intention, and I will say no more other than good luck GF and post up pics of your build when completed.

Will do.

Probably will happen this week by the look of things, at least for the mechanical aspect. The engraving will have to happen after I work out what paint to use. Looking for something along the lines of HK grey that I can apply without needing a paint booth and high capacity compressor. Preferably one rattle can. I do have a cheap pot-gun, but not a good place to use it, and my compressor is pathetic. I have a small oven for shop projects and for curing powder coat on bullets, which will fit the lower, but not the forend if I decide to color match that. So I could go either way about oven cure paints.

If that didn't make sense, let me re-state. I want to paint the lower grey, then mill in the engraving, so that the white metal contrasts. I think it will look good.

I'm open to suggestions for paint. Preferably something that comes in quantities for around $20 instead of $90+/quart plus reducer. I do have some reducer, so smaller quantities of fancy stuff could work.

Edited by GunFun

I use Duracoat on my stuff. You can spray it with an airbrush. I think they do some of the colors in rattle cans, also a kit with sprayer. Their website lists HK grey as a color. Pretty durable stuff, hard to remove once it fully cures.

GF - If you are stuck with a compressor that is too small, find a broken one with a good tank, or even a few BBQ tanks will work! Increasing the volume of stored air will allow the undersized compressor to store enough air to do a larger job. As a benefit, the larger volume will result in cooler, dryer air that is better for paint guns.

Tactical Machining .c om has 80% lowers and stripped uppers for $26 and $27 respectively.  So yes, money isn't the reason to make my own. Personalized, and not asking the govt's permission is.

Thanks for the heads up.  Been needing a white upper for the lower you see above.  Ordering. 

• Like 1