Semi Custom mold for 7.62x39 / 300 BLK ~125 grain

I'm mostly hosting this thread in the 300 BO forum. 

However, I've started developing a semi custom mold suitable for 7.62x39 / 300 BLK. It casts out a 125 grains of linotype. Powder coated it ought to be more or less a clone of factory ammo.

For some reason, no one is making a mold in this size range for 30 cal. Initial testing seems to indicate that this bullet is stable and handles pressure without difficulty, but I don't have a lot of range time on it. I expect we can get it to accuracy consistently under 2moa for normal rifles in the ruskie caliber and the "modernized 8 kurz" caliber.

If you are interested in the project let me know.

I need a couple people who reload for AKs to test it out. PM me if you are interested.

RvZknsS.jpg

jDflioj.jpg

yrtmshe.jpg?1

Mold specs would be CTL 312-125-2r

I shaved down one less tumble lube groove than the original plan, by removing the amount I measured, which leaves 3 TL grooves instead of 2. So the projectile length is .802" and they weighed 124.5 +/1 .1 grain naked. They hand cycle nicely, both fast and slow, loaded in or out a bit from my projected OAL. A bit of paint showed no interference with the lands. I am particularly pleased at how clean the surface finish was for the machining, and that I trimmed at exactly the perfect depth to get a clean, semi bevel base effect from the tumble lube band. Exactly as I hoped.

• 3 weeks later...

Great job. Please let us know how it works out.

Well, one of them killed a bunny in an orchard today. Not by my hand though.

I've had a few busy weeks, so the R&D has been on pause.

I buy 125gr LRN plated cast bullets for my 30 Carbines.

These might work well, but HB was concerned that they might be too long or too pointy for the magazines or something. Projectile length is .802"

They are intended primarily for 300 BO/ 7.62 x39.

If you are interested in testing a few, I'm getting a list of people to send samples to in exchange for data and feedback about how well they shoot.

Just loaded 500 308 win cartridges 

About 39 cents each just for the sierra match king (SMK) 168gr bulletsamazing.gif

But alas cast bullets wont work in my caliber.

I do love those Dillon 1050 presses, progressive with a bullet feeder is the only way to fly.

If your bullets were a little heavier , they would work in a suppressed blackout.big_smile.gif

Looks good though

BH

Just loaded 500 308 win cartridges 

About 39 cents each just for the sierra match king (SMK) 168gr bulletsamazing.gif

But alas cast bullets wont work in my caliber.

I do love those Dillon 1050 presses, progressive with a bullet feeder is the only way to fly.

If your bullets were a little heavier , they would work in a suppressed blackout.big_smile.gif

Looks good though

BH

These are specifically lightened to make them work at full velocity and more or less match the trajectory of factory supersonics. There are plenty of available bullet profiles which work well for that. i.e. the mold I modified cast at ~150 grains in hard alloys before I hacked it up. It is stable and suppressor friendly based on other's workups.

Load cost around 12 cents each for that setup. I also used that bullet in 308 and 30-06 with satisfactory results.

For subsonics, I have a ~182 grain mold which will do very nicely.

The point of this project is to have an accurate and aerodynamic bullet which feeds and shoots well and basically matches factory loads. That way I can do reasonable shooting out to 2-300 yds and shoot 3gun matches very cheaply forever. 

Depending on how well it works, I may work up a ~115 grain projectile which is a little narrower in the nose radius, more like the jacketed bullets designed for this caliber. This is just a phase 1 which may work well enough to keep me from bothering with a refined phase 2.