Time has passed and I am looking into a new compensator to replace a straight up brake.

Want to reduce the loudness to the shooter without picking up barrel rise and retain reasonable recoil reduction.

5/8 24 is the size aint picky about looks.

Anyone have a favorite and why?

Thanks in advance

North West Firearms did a 20+ minute video on all the various 5.56 and 7.62 muzzle flash hiders, compensators and muzzle brakes.  Perhaps more than one video.  Pretty extensive testing with flash reduction, recoil reduction, blast reduction and whatever.  The problem is right now I don't have time to find that video for you.  Good luck.

They also did a follow up or prior vid on only flash reduction at nite.  Related vid.

Edited:  I can find it some place.  Done in dark at an indoor range.  High speed camera.  Scientific measuring devices.  Lumums or something.  I want to watch it again.  Will try to find it.  HB

If memory serves the Smith Enterprises Vortex did very well but not the best.

Edited by HB of CJ

I have been also looking and it would seem easier to find than it has proven to be.

Yes we all want recoil reduction without having ones ears blown out as if things do get frisky who will have ear plugs, significant reduction in barrel rise to stay on target, and reduction in flash so one is not blinded. All must be compromised to some extent to get all three but I am willing to accept that as long as it is the best deal I can get in the process.

What I am finding is the results from the 5.56 are a bit difficult to apply to 7.62 and above as there is less recoil, sound, and flash (depending on the rifle) to manage.

But seems that is what we have to work with unfortunately.

Thanks

• Like 1

Lefties get screwed a lot, you have our right handed sympathies for what that is worth.

Going to keep digging into this Comp thing.

It amazes me there is so little in the way of specs for them and we have to rely on impressions and experimentation in an area that thrives on specificity and exacting measurements.

Is what it is 

• Like 1

Heh that didnt help, think I will just keep the old solvent trap operational and eat the recoil.

Not looking for suppression any way, for reasons you just mentioned, just trying to avoid those blasted sound amplifiers everyone seems to love so much.

Well except the guy next to you...or behind you...or in the parking lot...

Was hoping old DT would have helped us out but seems he more interested in other things.

• Like 1

I have one of the Black River comps installed on one of my 277 Wolverines. I don't have threaded barrels on any of my 308's but do on my 300WSM. I could try it on that rifle next time I get to the range and report back if you would like.

I have 1 brake on 1 rifle.  All other rifles have flash hiders or no muzzle device.

I put a SureFire ProComp brake on the SPR hoping it would help me spot my own shots at long range.  It does help.  I was just at the range a couple of days ago putting some hits on a 700 yard gong with some 77gr Razor Core.  (That's great ammo by the way for the price.)  But I had to put plugs in under the muffs because it was ringing my ears with just the muffs.  Guys on either side of me weren't loving it either.

I do wish I could run a brake on my 300WSM.  The rifle is fairly light and it's just brutal to shoot.  But a brake on that rifle would be 10x worse than the one on my SPR.  It's a hunting rifle and I don't always have earpro when I'm hunting.

Thanks guys

I have 1 brake on 1 rifle.  All other rifles have flash hiders or no muzzle device.

I put a SureFire ProComp brake on the SPR hoping it would help me spot my own shots at long range.  It does help.  I was just at the range a couple of days ago putting some hits on a 700 yard gong with some 77gr Razor Core.  (That's great ammo by the way for the price.)  But I had to put plugs in under the muffs because it was ringing my ears with just the muffs.  Guys on either side of me weren't loving it either.

I do wish I could run a brake on my 300WSM.  The rifle is fairly light and it's just brutal to shoot.  But a brake on that rifle would be 10x worse than the one on my SPR.  It's a hunting rifle and I don't always have earpro when I'm hunting.

Yeah it would be rough on the hearing. Which I am also concerned over in particular since my grandson has caught the shooting bug he wants to go with Pawpaw next time I take the big guns out.

Well to him they are big ;)

I have one of the Black River comps installed on one of my 277 Wolverines. I don't have threaded barrels on any of my 308's but do on my 300WSM. I could try it on that rifle next time I get to the range and report back if you would like.

Do please let us know, in particular how that blast works out.

Adding to the short list the PA EFAB hybrid, may be the best comprise I have seen to date with 0.5 lux flash and about 40% recoil reduction the noise is supposed to be less by a noticeable amount.

Aint cheap but not terrible on the cash at about 170.00

So two on the short list now

Thanks

If you are talking about muzzle brakes and not compensators, the PWS FSC30 is what i have on my .308 bolt action. It doesn't have excessive concussion and blow-back but it still helps.

The line between a brake and a compensator is fairly blurry generally as I understand it any device that vents gas to counter muzzle rise is technically a compensator. 

Yeah so a lot of "brakes" are really comps, doh!

Have you seen the brakes that have the cover over them that supposedly send the blast forward? And is a silencer out of the question. Cause it'll do everything you need.

Yeah saw some of those, kind of a controversy on that type of design. Physics would say the more pushed forward the more pushed back but cant say I have tried any.

Well suppressors help and certainly reduce noise but there sure are a lot of comps being sold to work with suppressors on larger calibers.

On general principle, not until the feds are no longer involved. That involvement seriously drive the prices far higher than logic says should be the case.

Yes that was one the sources that got me on the EFAB in a serous way.

Wish these guys that go to so much trouble, and it is a lot of trouble, to rate these would have grabbed a dBmeter to have a relative handle on sound at the shooter or off to the side of the shooter. Something that I have seen rarely even mentioned, seems some want it louder and get all giddy over it. *shrugs* 

Thanks again guys

Have you seen the brakes that have the cover over them that supposedly send the blast forward? And is a silencer out of the question. Cause it'll do everything you need.

Yeah saw some of those, kind of a controversy on that type of design. Physics would say the more pushed forward the more pushed back ...

Well yes, but that's not the whole story.  To grossly oversimplify, recoil is proportional to the mass being accellerated times the velocity squared.  Assuming that you can't change the recoil from the bullet itself, that leaves the hot gas that is also expelled which is actually a substantial portion of free recoil.  Normal brakes redirect some of this gas so that it pushes in a direction other than straight back.  A linear brake still expells the gas forward but it reduces the velocity of the gas and thereby reduces the recoil.  That energy that would have been recoil winds up as heat.  If you think about it a suppressor is a large linear brake.  It slows the expelled gas to subsonic velocity to reduce the sound signature but also reduces recoil as a side benefit.  And it gets damn hot in the process.

Linear brakes are by their nature not as efficient as baffle type brakes but if you put a shroud on a fairly large baffle brake you should get some benefit from it.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Thank you that was educational as hell as it makes perfect sense, slow the gas down causing it to convert the energy to another type as heat.

Now that thar is some pleasing physics.

Thing is going to get damned hot to be sure going through a lot of rounds as the gas is already hot and slowing it down, well as you pointed out. 

Wouldn't this explain the need for length in suppressors, or at least a minimum length for the desired effect?

May have another one for the short list.