Shit, the .410 Contender barrel is almost enough already. :wacko:

What was that Burt Reynolds movie years ago (Sharkey's Machine) where the perp shoots the front of a semi truck cab, and it blows up? :lol:

Shot my buddies 870 pistol grip with magnums once. That was a handful. Full size 12's in that thing have got to be a trip.

Edit to add: There is still a part of me that would like to try it. At least once.

Edited by DaveM

This is a 12GA, a bit over 26" OAL, and let me tell you, I drove the lever through the web of my hand TWICE shooting it. Many of you have seen it before. 

Baikal.jpg

It'll HURT you if you're not VERY careful. Still, it's a hoot to use, and, with great care, manageable with full house black powder loads.

Heavy magnum level loads? Not unless you paid me a hell of a lot of money...up front, in cash, gave me a heavy glove and a had a medic present.

Edited by patriot

I have an old, pump-action 20 ga. I've been thinking of converting exactly like that!  ;)

Haven't quite got up the nerve to start cutting anything yet, though... (I have a local gunsmith who could cut the barrel to 18.5" and add a bead on top.)

My cousin Salt on this forum has a 6" serbu super shorty based on a mossy 500. I used some of those hot winchester 1700 fps 3" mag 1oz slugs with it.

I was actually surprised at how not particularly bad it was. It changed my mind about the gun being pure range toy and moved it into practical survival tool for backpacking in my mind. 

I probably shot a hundred rounds of birdshot at clay, 30 mixed buckshot, and about 20 slugs, most being full factory 2 3/4 loads that day.

The next day, my hand was a little sore, and I couldn't think of why until a while later. Now he has pistol ish sights on there, which would be a real improvement.

I could even call it pleasant to shoot with my home rolled 1 or 7/8 oz slugs (loaded to ~1400 fps out of a normal shotgun.)

I forgot to mention, it had the standard pistol grip from serbu that day.

Later he got some rubbery grip thing that is basically shaped like a smith and wesson square back grip. It was wierd. I think he went back to a solid grip shaped more like the K frame grip. There's pics on his profile here. IMO having the right grip angle makes all the difference. Patriot's gun may be pretty, but I don't think that is the right grip angle for function.

. Patriot's gun may be pretty, but I don't think that is the right grip angle for function.

..as long as you ride the recoil and don't try and stiff arm it, it's all good. Stiff arm it and you WILL fuck yourself up.

. Patriot's gun may be pretty, but I don't think that is the right grip angle for function.

..as long as you ride the recoil and don't try and stiff arm it, it's all good. Stiff arm it and you WILL fuck yourself up.

So basically we agree. It does look neat though. Do you load mouse loads for plinking?

So basically we agree. It does look neat though. Do you load mouse loads for plinking?

I put in long forcing cones, (throat) which dropped the recoil considerably. Baikals don't normally have much of a forcing cone at all.

I typically load 100-110gr 1F under 1oz of shot, with a wheat flour buffer added to the shot. Makes one hell of a fireball and the muzzle blast is so loud it thumps you in the chest.

I can shoot it single handed for about 4 (careful) shots, then I'm done. It's a great gun to give the "I can shoot anything...recoil doesn't bother me" types. As long as they're standing in the grass, it's all good. 

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I suppose there aren't many guns easier to clean black powder fouling out of than this.

Ooh, that would look really cool with the brass shells.

Remove the barrels, run hot water through it, swab with Ballistol. That's it. Takes a few minutes.

Brass shells with a round ball crimped 1/2 out of the case mouth looks great, though it's a bit tough on poppers that way.