https://www.sb-tactical.com/blog/sb-tactical-announces-reversal-atf-open-letter-use-sb-tactical-pistol-stabilizing-braces/

PRESS RELEASE: SB Tactical™ Announces Reversal of ATF Open Letter on the Use of SB Tactical Pistol Stabilizing Braces®
Written By: SB-Tactical
SB Tactical_ATF Reversal of Open Letter Position

Saint Petersburg, Fla. (April, 25, 2017) – SB Tactical™, inventors and manufacturers of the Pistol Stabilizing Brace®, is excited to announce that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) has issued SB Tactical a reversal letter containing a sensible clarification of the Bureau’s position on the lawful use of SB Tactical braces.

The new clarification of opinion letter states, “an NFA firearm has not necessarily been made when the device is not reconfigured for use as a shoulder stock – even if the attached firearm happens to be fired from the shoulder. To the extent that the January 2015 Open Letter implied or has been construed to hold that incidental, sporadic, or situational “use” of an arm-brace (in its original approved configuration) equipped firearm from a firing position at or near the shoulder was sufficient to constitute “redesign,” such interpretations are incorrect and not consistent with ATF’s interpretation of the statute or the manner in which it has historically been enforced.”

SB Tactical, along with the law offices of Mark Barnes & Associates, have worked tirelessly for more than two years to correct what they believed to be an inaccurate interpretation of “redesign,” related to the Pistol Stabilizing Brace. “It has always been our belief that the addition of our Pistol Stabilizing Brace benefits shooters, both disabled and able-bodied, and that neither strapping it to your arm nor shouldering a brace equipped pistol would constitute ‘redesign’ of a pistol to a NFA firearm”, said Alex Bosco, inventor, founder and CEO of SB Tactical. “We are strongly encouraged by the ATF’s reversal of opinion and commend their willingness to continually review policy, including their own opinions, to ensure public safety and the fulfillment of their mission.”

Both SB Tactical and Mark Barnes & Associates are proud to be at the forefront of protecting and preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. Mark Barnes echoed Bosco’s praise of the ATF’s new guidance and stated that “it’s clear that the Bureau has no intention or desire to prosecute law abiding citizens using SB Tactical Pistol Stabilizing Braces. Their decision to act should be commended.”

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 5

Great news.  Somebody who is somebody at the 800 pound Gorilla Factory showed some common sense.  I also wonder if the person could actually see that approaching light through the train tunnel for what it actually is ... an approaching 5000 ton freight train.  The Trump Cannonball Express.

Also bods well for future rulings?  That is less clear.  But we will take our Constitutional victories anyway we can.  In this case one small step or shoulder presentation at a time.  Makes one wonder also about future SBR and SBS rulings?  Kinda begs a very small legal distinction.  One can hope.

does this apply to a one point sling as well? or just an attached device primarily made for said firearm?

edit to clarify -

as in i attach my carry pistol to a leather strap on my belt so as to create a solid "pull point" type of stock...

or is that still illegal?

Edited by Ben Vampatella

does this apply to a one point sling as well? or just an attached device primarily made for said firearm?

edit to clarify -

as in i attach my carry pistol to a leather strap on my belt so as to create a solid "pull point" type of stock...

I don't think I've ever heard of a sling attached to a pistol being illegal. Ridiculous maybe, illegal no.

Now would be a good time for people to stop writing $#*$#((&*&*^ letters to the ATF....

I disagree. We need to force the issues, force the bastards into court, and get them pinned down to actual rulings.

We are still at their whim and mercy.

edit to clarify -

I don't think I've ever heard of a sling attached to a pistol being illegal. Ridiculous maybe, illegal no.

It was cool when Tuco did it

goodbad372.jpg

Maybe he was thinking of a shoestring?

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

edit to clarify -

It's not bad on a M11.  Works well for steadying along with the front strap.  Though the FA stock would be nicer.  But watch that front hand position, or you could shoot your fingers off!

Now that it has had time to settle with me, I really think this may have been a matter of convenience for the ATF. They are probably sick of processing Form 1s and fielding all of the form status inquiry calls from people who have forms out. Let's hope they have designs on further reducing the amount of Form 1 and Form 4 they have to process (HPA).

• 2 weeks later...