Naw.  All you need is one good go-to rifle per responsible adult person.  A reasonable amount of ammo.  Consider selling off all the rest and buying Gold and Silver.  Might work out for you OK.  Or ... maybe some more water and food.  Or ... maybe some more deep caches containing lots of needful things.  Or ... use your imagination.

My family had some forewarning and managed to get many deep caches established in Germany.  The year was about 1870.  This was about the same time they all got together and financed the ability of about 12 of us to up and move from Southern Germany to New York City and later Minnesota USA.  One side of the family.  Yikes!!  

Edited by HB of CJ

I'm not operating system loyal. I think about 5-6 AK pattern shotguns would cover my interests of those, and a nice example of a bulgarian Ak 74 with plum plastic, and any clean 30 cal AK with an improved sight would cover my wants.

For practical purposes at this stage, one can build good ARs cheaper than good AKs. in 1993 the situation was the opposite. Based on that, practical needs for arming friends and family lean toward the stoner end.

Practical firearms for what I consider optimized home protection is still the AK shotgun, but I have a feeling Cameron will be changing my opinion there this fall.

Maybe the question is how many do you want, and how many can you afford without missing some other important thing in life.

That number might be a large number if you can make them pay their own keep and increase your holdings. I bet our acquaintance at Atlantic Firearms thinks of "too many" on a per quarter basis.

Collecting starts getting redundant whenever you have duplicates.. Ownership is different, for your needs you may keep a stock of multiple similar or same rifles.

I sadly have an entire collection of weird stuff.. I have something like 14 different calibers to keep stocked something like 23 different magazine types.

What I really love is that I have five .308s right now and none of them use interchangeable magazines... I only have two pairs of guns that have interchangeable mags. 

I really only have the full collection because I need to be able to live fire a test mag from time to time.. If I thought I could get away with using just hard gauging my collection would be a lot smaller. Owning a bunch of guns is fun, but once you have done it you kinda know what you like and dislike.

I could honestly be down to a side by side shotgun, a bolt gun, a .22 and a single pistol and feel like I had a pretty rounded out collection.

Edited by csspecs
  • Like 1

For me, what little I still have is based on need, reduction of liabilities, and simplicity. Also, if someone breaks into my home and has time and tools to get into the safe, the reward will not reflect the effort. They will get a few nice things, but not what they would probably be thinking. From this side of the equation, you just get over things after a while.

This reminds me, I talked to the owner of a local car dealership as I was building his pool and asked which cars he liked the most. He said something to the effect that they are just cars and he really doesn't care as long as they do what they need to do. He was a Ford dealer and just drove a basic F150 XLT. I figured he would have a couple of the Shelby Mustangs that were out at the time time in his garage, but not the case. He had what he needed, nothing more.

He had what he needed, nothing more.

Sums it up nicely for me. 

I really needed to mentally go back over that conversation and were it not for this thread I am not sure I would have remembered it. I have been praying for wisdom and these past conversations and events keep coming back to me. The wisdom was always there around me, but I didn't absorb it at the time. He was a very down to earth guy and seemed very wise. At the time I couldn't imagine driving a basic F150 if I owned a Ford dealership, but now I get it. Life is much simpler and easier when you focus on needs and keep from getting distracted by the human tendency to never be satisfied in the pursuit of wants. We get something we wanted and there is always something else we want. We have been programmed to think we will find satisfaction in possessions, from early times instinct to gather and prepare to modern day consumerism. It is like trying to hold a handful of sand, temporary. We chase all of these wants as hard as we can with every spare dollar we have and ignore our true needs. It took some very hard times for me to shake off the wants and free myself from so much excess. It was forced but necessary and life is much easier to maintain. What do I need? It is a much simpler question to answer than what else do I want. Needs are finite. Wanting is infinite.

I believe in having a SUFFICIENCY of the things I need in life. So having the necessary tools to do the job is the primary concern. Everything else is a surplus!

• Like 1

My original AK ownership plans always were one for every family member. But then I helped out one friend who needed money and got a few more....then I found a few in the rough in estate sales.....then someone else needed some cash....and so on, and so fourth.

I had a lot of very sought after older AKs, but a nightmare led to me selling them off. I couldn't live with the idea of someone getting them for next to nothing when I pass on, so I got what they were worth and called it a day.

At the time I couldn't imagine driving a basic F150 if I owned a Ford dealership, but now I get it. Life is much simpler and easier when you focus on needs and keep from getting distracted by the human tendency to never be satisfied in the pursuit of wants.

Yes, we do learn as we get older.  We tend to prioritize our 'needs' over our 'wants'.  It is a well learned and earned point of wisdom.  But doesn't always come easily.

• Like 1

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie-pop?

Dunno but my ex could tell you how many it took to get to the center of the high school basketball team.

Damn it my coffee is now all over my screen ROTFL