So my 11 year old is getting interested in making stuff/tinkering. When I was his age I got a .22 and I was thinking it's about time for him to have one.  I would love to build a .22 with him.  Something on par with assembling an AR, but for his first gun I'd like something with a little more wood/traditional style.  My first .22 was a marlin lever action which I still have and enjoy.

Any suggestions?  Right now, the best I can come up with is accessorizig a 10/22, but I'd really like to assemble something form the ground up, and I can't find a 10/22 receiver that doesn't cost a ton of money. 

Thanks.

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 1

Not a .22, but what about something very traditional, a project for both, and just as fun? You could then pick up an already assembled 10/22 later for a few bills.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/muzzleloader-kits.html

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pistols/pistol-kits.html

There's also factory receivers on Gunbroker for the 10/22.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642833559

• Like 2

Building a 10-22 from the receiver up gets my vote. It was my first real gun project. I on the other hand tore down a perfectly good brand new 10-22 to the receiver. Even though it was more expensive that way, it added to the "before and after" and I learned more. (Including a couple of new cuss words getting the factory barrel out.) another option would be to look for a used 10-22 to be torn down. Everything but the receiver and bolt is going to be replaced anyway.

A myriad of aftermarket parts and so many configurations to choose from. Good luck. Sounds like it will be great bonding time regardless of the project you choose.

• Like 1

I got my first gun at about age 8.  A Savage 24V in .22rf and 3" .410.  I can still remember the smell of that first paper shot shell shot.  Wow!  Also remember the recoil!  I nailed the steel beer can.

Also was given a NRA CMP .30 USGI Carbine at about aged 12.  Dad showed me how to maintain it.  Quite a hoot to shoot for a kid.  Also learned to hand load with close Dad supervision.  Long ago.

• Like 1

11?

That is big enough to handle an AR most likely and that gun is just a project waiting to happen.

You can even start with a 80% rcvr and go from there.

Likely end up spending less than the 10/22.

Another useful conservative childhood skill would be to start letting your young person learn how to detail strip, clean, lube and reassemble about 20 of the most popular firearms.  In the dark.  Rifles, shotguns, handguns.  Kids that age love puzzles or detailed mechanisms.  I did.  Might turn out to be a useful taught childhood skill.  Perhaps more desirable and doable than geography map memorization.   

Even more important than the gun itself, this is a perfect time to teach problem solving and how to use tools. Basic skills that are NOT 'taught' in school!

The best skill we can pass on to the next generations, is how to THINK for themselves!

• Like 1